: URPA - Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist problem?

Fcanedy
10-21-05, 02:28 PM
First off, let me tell you that I'm a new Cadillac owner and I have to say I'm glad of my purchase.

I have a 2002 Escalade EXT Pearl and she's beautiful.

I do believe that I'm having an issue with my URPA.

Based on reading the owners manual I should be hearing audio tones as well as the light indicators should change colors the closer I get to an object.

Neather things are working they way the manual indicates, all I get is a constant red blinking light, no matter how close I get to an object with no audio tones.

Is there a way to check the system or does someone have access to a service manual indicating how to diagnose the issue?

Thanks in advance!

-Frank

jrs05caddyext
10-21-05, 03:56 PM
I belive there's a button right under onstar. Might want 2 check that.It turns in on and off.

fast66
10-21-05, 05:34 PM
also you shoudl clean the little circles on the back of the truck make sure they arent dirty

AINTNOFORD
10-21-05, 06:15 PM
Take any hitches or any thing sticking out of the receiver out. The sensor is picking it up. :)

slk230mb
10-21-05, 07:59 PM
Take any hitches or any thing sticking out of the receiver out. The sensor is picking it up. :)

Not necessarily, I have a hitch step installed and it doesn't interfere with my backup sensors at all.

Do you have an aftermarket head unit installed?

Falkolade
10-21-05, 11:12 PM
If it's under warranty still i'd just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out... Thats what you pay the Cadillac premium for... I have read a lot of horror stories on here but my dealer has been excellent to me

ThatchSS
10-22-05, 03:29 AM
the rear park assist will not work if you are going faster than 3 MPH. you will get the blinking red light to let you know thet you have exceded this. if you are going below 3 MPH it is in the URPA control module as the speed is brodcast over the BUSS and you would see many other issues (i.e. non/intermitant working speedo SES light poor shifting .......)

turbojimmy
10-22-05, 07:47 AM
The red blinking light under 3 MPH is its way of telling you there is a problem. The stealer can pull the codes but it's a very simple system - it's going to be either the module itself or one of the sensors. It's more likely one of the sensors but determining which one is tough.

Jim

Fcanedy
10-22-05, 08:21 AM
Thanks for everyones reply.

1) I do not have a receiver hitch (tow ball)

2) I have the system enabled

3) of course I backing up less than 3 mph :)

Sounds like I might have a sensor problem then. :(

oh joy...

Is there a DIY proceedure to test the sensors?

Sycosis
10-22-05, 10:00 AM
The red blinking light under 3 MPH is its way of telling you there is a problem. The stealer can pull the codes but it's a very simple system - it's going to be either the module itself or one of the sensors. It's more likely one of the sensors but determining which one is tough.
Jim

Hey Jimmy, didn't you once own a Typhoon? The turbojimmy gives it away. I own both a ty and sy.

hcvone
10-22-05, 11:56 AM
Thanks for everyones reply.

1) I do not have a receiver hitch (tow ball)

2) I have the system enabled

3) of course I backing up less than 3 mph :)

Sounds like I might have a sensor problem then. :(

oh joy...

Is there a DIY proceedure to test the sensors?

Sounds like a trip to the dealer, it could be somehting as simple as a connection problem near the bumper. :(

turbojimmy
10-22-05, 12:09 PM
Hey Jimmy, didn't you once own a Typhoon? The turbojimmy gives it away. I own both a ty and sy.

Yes! I used to have a black '92 Typhoon. The financial and time strain associated with maintaining both turbo cars led me to sell the Typhoon. I tried to modify it and rely on it as a daily driver which didn't work out so well. Still have the GN though.

Jim