: Onstar: Need some quick info

Geno
10-20-05, 08:29 PM
I just got a call from my Cadillac dealer about my inquiry to have my analog/digital capable Onstar replaced by the fully digital unit. The reason I wanted to do this is to get rid of the antenna on the rear glass. They are saying that they are not sure, but they think the analog antenna on the rear glass would be replaced by another antenna. I thought that with the conversion the only antenna would be the one on the roof like the 2005 CTS-V. Does anyone have the hot poop on this?:hmm:

waswas
10-20-05, 08:49 PM
They change the window antenna, but you still need one. I did the upgrad.

Geno
10-20-05, 09:13 PM
:crying2: Thanks!!!

Florian
10-20-05, 11:28 PM
I have hot poop on my hood....damn seagulls.

F

Rikmyster
10-21-05, 02:33 AM
My dealer does not know how to do the upgrade. I am so disgusted at the intellengence of Cadilliac Dealers

waswas
10-21-05, 07:26 AM
I had the sane problem with the dealer's service desk people.
Go to Reed's FAQ and print out the TSB...take it with you, walk the service writer thru the steps...their real issue is how thy will get paid which is a complicatd process but is spelled out step by step in the TSB.

Doc170
10-21-05, 12:00 PM
Hi
I`ve tried to find but could not, How do I find Reed`s FAQ?

Thank you, doc170:thepan:

Lindsay Cadillac
10-21-05, 12:11 PM
Hi
I`ve tried to find but could not, How do I find Reed`s FAQ?

Thank you, doc170:thepan:

TSB here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/tsb/05-08-46-006b.pdf

James

lawfive
10-21-05, 12:12 PM
I'll look up the FAQ info, but for now... does anyone know if the fully digital setup allows one to subscribe to XM Traffic?

Lindsay Cadillac
10-21-05, 12:22 PM
I'll look up the FAQ info, but for now... does anyone know if the fully digital setup allows one to subscribe to XM Traffic?

The Onstar digital upgrade is seperate from XM and your navigation system. Upgrading your Onstar won't have any bearing on XM NavTraffic... If you don't have it (XM NavTraffic) now, you won't when you upgrade Onstar...

James

lawfive
10-21-05, 12:33 PM
Thanks, I got the same impression from the FAQ. It looks as though this breaks down to, "Customer pays $xxx to get OnStar for 3 years." No change in functionality at all. If you don't use OnStar or their cell phone, you don't need to do this (except maybe if you think not doing it will affect resale price later on).

That about it?

Doc170
10-21-05, 01:26 PM
TSB here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/tsb/05-08-46-006b.pdf

Jame s

Thanks James, James here also, aka doc170 :)

Rikmyster
10-22-05, 12:51 PM
If you don't use the On Star PHONE it is no use. Personally, the current ANALOG drinks bath water .... so I hope that the new Digital Verizon wireless will work better.
(CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?):stirpot:

Staxxin
10-22-05, 03:44 PM
The Onstar digital upgrade is seperate from XM and your navigation system. Upgrading your Onstar won't have any bearing on XM NavTraffic... If you don't have it (XM NavTraffic) now, you won't when you upgrade Onstar...

James

Quick hijack...

James, what is required to enable "XM Nav Traffic". I have a 2005, and I have added the XM Service. My car has been at the dealer a total of 2 weeks working on this issue. This last visit they ordered my third radio unit and have tried various Navi disks. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated....

Thanks!!!!

hijack over......

NIK
10-24-05, 11:33 AM
[quote=lawfive]Thanks, I got the same impression from the FAQ. It looks as though this breaks down to, "Customer pays $xxx to get OnStar for 3 years." No change in functionality at all. If you don't use OnStar or their cell phone, you don't need to do this (except maybe if you think not doing it will affect resale price later on).

Our current system will work through 2007 ..... is that correct? So what's the hurry about getting it upgraded now?

Lindsay Cadillac
10-24-05, 11:56 AM
Quick hijack...

James, what is required to enable "XM Nav Traffic". I have a 2005, and I have added the XM Service. My car has been at the dealer a total of 2 weeks working on this issue. This last visit they ordered my third radio unit and have tried various Navi disks. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated....

Thanks!!!!

hijack over......
If I had to take a guess.. I'd say your V was built prior to the date that XM Nav Traffic started... They are ordering a radio based on the number that's in the original radio... So, you'll continue to get radios that don't have the XM Nav Traffic option... That would be my guess anyways...

James

Staxxin
10-24-05, 12:00 PM
Thanks James, so is it the radio that enables XM Nav Traffic or the XM tuner in the trunk?

Lindsay Cadillac
10-24-05, 12:07 PM
Thanks James, so is it the radio that enables XM Nav Traffic or the XM tuner in the trunk?Both components enable the XM Nav Traffic... The data is piped in through XM and then the radio overlays the data over your Nav map... In your case if your vehicle was built prior to 1/18/05, IIRC, the radio does not have the capability to display the traffic data...

James

Staxxin
10-24-05, 12:24 PM
Thanks again James!!!! I should bring my car to you to fix my Nav Traffic and my clutch TSB that my dealer won't perform unless that can duplicate.