: Won't Start

BarryB
10-17-05, 11:57 AM
I have had my SRX since May 2005 loaded V8 , Navigation etc. About 3 weeks after I had it I went out to start the car and it would not start , just a clicking sound when you turned the key . I tried it again about 10 minutes later and this time it started . I took it into my dealership and they informed me that they had to reset the computer. Last Friday I left work and drove 3 blocks to a shopping centre. I came out and the car would not start , not even turn over , rather just a clicking sound like before. They sent a tow truck down and they could not get it started with a boost , the ignition just made a clicking sound . They car would not even turn over with the bost . So they towed it into the dealer and said they had to replace the battery . I don't think it was the battery at all , rather something else . Has anyone out there had a similar problem ?

Ziggerman
10-17-05, 01:55 PM
Sounds like high resistance on the battery cable due to corrosion/contamination. I would inspect the battery posts/cables and clean them with a wire brush.

robhersch
10-17-05, 02:25 PM
Clicking sound probably starter solinoid engaging, but without enough power to turn starter. Likely a battery, a battery terminal, a frayed battery cable, or a starter problem. One way to test is to measure the voltage at the starter under load (with the starter solinoid engaged) - if less than ~10 volts, probably outside of starter, if > ~10 volts, probably starter. Another way to measure current in starter cable (inexpensive meters SB available) under load; current should jump from few to ~ > 100 amps when starter engaged.
Wish you success in isolating.

inline6
10-17-05, 03:09 PM
There have been previous posts where batteries were replaced under warranty on SRXs. They symptoms you describe could very easily be from an internal short within the battery; very much the same behavior as a bad cell in the good old days.

SNhadley
11-25-05, 01:09 AM
I have a similar problem. The vehicle is under warranty and the battery drains very fast if I leave the vehicle in the accessory position on the ignition for less than 15 minutes the car won't start without a jump the dealer said that it was normal for that to happen. I say that is crap and am taking the vehicle to another dealer.