: Northstar Coolant Questions

zkmann
10-16-05, 10:42 AM
In regards to the coolant loss problems with the Northstar.... What kind of sealing pellets need to be used? Are the pellets available only from the dealer or are there after market products available that will also work? What type of anti-freeze should be used with these engines?

Kev
10-16-05, 10:48 AM
GM pellets available at any GM dealer (cheaper at a Chevy dealer than Cadillac) or Barsleak Gold pellets. Ranger knows the part number I believe.

zkmann
10-16-05, 11:00 AM
Kev,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm familar with the Barsleak product. What type of antifreeze goes into the Northstar engines? Is it the orange or the green? I've never had to go into this engine before so I want to pick up the supplies first.
Thanks again.

mcowden
10-16-05, 01:39 PM
Kev,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm familar with the Barsleak product. What type of antifreeze goes into the Northstar engines? Is it the orange or the green? I've never had to go into this engine before so I want to pick up the supplies first.
Thanks again.

In a 96 or newer car, they used DexCool, which is the orange stuff. Prior to 96, use the green stuff. Mix it 50/50 with distilled water (NOT tap water) and put 2 tubes of the Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder or 6 of the pellets (either GM pellets or the large size Bar's Leaks pellets) in whichever hose is easier. Do not put the pellets or powder in the surge tank. They will just sit there and could plug up the vapor vent line, causing problems. In the hose only. Green coolant needs to be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles. Orange stuff goes for 5 years or 100k miles.

krimson_cardnal
10-16-05, 04:04 PM
Hey Mike,
Can one over do the sealant. When my rad was replaced a few thou ago I'm not sure if the GM tech put the sealant in?? Would it hurt for me to add the Bar's Leak??
_chuck.

mcowden
10-16-05, 06:18 PM
Hey Mike,
Can one over do the sealant. When my rad was replaced a few thou ago I'm not sure if the GM tech put the sealant in?? Would it hurt for me to add the Bar's Leak??
_chuck.

It won't hurt anything to add the supplement, but you will lose a little coolant in the process. Just be sure to use distilled water and whichever coolant your car needs. If I was you, I'd get 2 tubes of the powder stuff and dump it in the upper hose. You'll make less mess that way. You can drain the radiator via the drain valve at the bottom, just enough to empty the upper hose. That way, you don't have to clean up a bunch of coolant from the floor. Once the hose is empty, shut the valve, take off one end of the upper hose, dump the stuff in, put it back on, refill system. Voila! Properly supplementized system and peace of mind for little cost.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out...

Ranger
10-16-05, 06:44 PM
Hey Mike,
_chuck.
I think "Rob" once said it is pretty hard to overdose it. If memory serves me, he said 20 might be too much

krimson_cardnal
10-16-05, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys,
I like the idea of "...peace of mind for little cost."

'specially around Cadillacs! :cool: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=23#)