: 2000 & up Seville air intake resonator

Harry Yarnell
07-13-14, 06:25 PM
S
Someone posted a picture recently (and I can't now find It) of a cap to replace the goofy resonator on the Intake air bellows of 2000 & up Northstars. What did you use? Better looking than the Coke can I used.

Submariner409
07-13-14, 07:33 PM
The latest and greatest is a 2" PVC pipe cap from any hardware store. $1.75. I like to use a hose clamp, but some pipe caps fit in the hole pretty tightly. Paint the thing with 2 coats of semi-gloss black rattle can spray. The cap fits down inside the hole. Use a suitable machine screw and washer to retain the PCM cover.

This picture is one of my first rubber pipe cap plugs - BUT it's filled with an epoxy/microballoon mixture to keep it from collapsing under the band clamp pressure.

Remember - ANY intake duct air leak at or after the divorced MAF in our cars will play hell with fuel mixtures and idle quality.

Zl700
07-13-14, 07:41 PM
Yes, a Fernco pipe cap is what I used to eliminate the intake baffle covering the hole.

http://www.fernco.com/sites/default/files/literature/Qwik_Caps_T4812_0.pdf

Harry Yarnell
07-13-14, 07:54 PM
Like I said, a Coke can is a snug fit...

Submariner409
07-14-14, 08:38 AM
Ghetto

RVMAN
07-14-14, 01:30 PM
I have a 2" rubber pipe cap that fits very snug. I put it in and drove for a few days but it seemed like I had more intake noise. I put the resonator back on. I do keep the rubber cap handy, can't hardly check the trans fluid without one, it sits nicely on the coolant reservoir cap .

Submariner409
07-14-14, 01:45 PM
Yep, removing the resonator will definitely give more intake noise, particularly during WOT or track runs. So will the airbox inlet area modification work outlined in several of my old threads.

Goes right along with the CORSA system.

2manyhotrods
07-15-14, 10:37 PM
Does a 1999 ETC with Northstar have an intake resonator?

Submariner409
07-16-14, 10:03 AM
The 3 FWD setups are all different. I think the Devilles had a resonance chamber incorporated into the airbox itself. Not sure about the Eldorado as it changed little from 1998 - 2002: it was slated for extinction - but No, it does not have the kidney-shaped resonator of the Sevilles.

Open the air/filter box and see if there are 'chambers' in there. A Dremel tool and steel burr makes short work of that black plastic, but you will need to cover/seal the intake ducting itself and be very thorough with a shop vac afterwards.