: spotting a fake?

hal72
10-15-05, 06:47 AM
My wheels look awful. the flat area inside of the wheels have began to flake and peel off. My Lade is only 1 years old with 10000 mile and I take very good care of my wheels, with washing etc..

So I suspect I maybe have aftermarktet wheels, since I have heard it is very common with these "fake" wheels.

Is there a way I can see if the Wheels are genuine GM and the orginal cadillac wheels?

any input will help! Thanks

slk230mb
10-15-05, 11:12 AM
Chrome or alloy finish? Have a dealership run a check on your VIN to see what they were ordered from the factory with.

slimm44
10-15-05, 03:15 PM
GM wheels have "GM" stamped into them. i personally haven't seen an aftermarket one with a GM stamp.

slk230mb
10-15-05, 05:23 PM
GM wheels have "GM" stamped into them. i personally haven't seen an aftermarket one with a GM stamp.

What if the stock alloy rims were chrome dipped. They would have the GM stamp and possibly a crappy chrome job. Just food for thought.

slimm44
10-15-05, 05:50 PM
What if the stock alloy rims were chrome dipped. They would have the GM stamp and possibly a crappy chrome job. Just food for thought.
good point. didn't think about that.

Xrayqueen
10-16-05, 04:39 AM
If you look for previous posts you will find other owners complaining of rims chipping from GM/Caddilac dealer :nono:
Peace Xrayqueen :)

hal72
10-16-05, 05:12 AM
Thanks for info:)))))))))

Chrome or alloy finish? Have a dealership run a check on your VIN to see what they were ordered from the factory with.

Chrome finish, But because my Lade is imported throu a local dealer here in norway, I don`t think my VIN is correct.

Where is the GM stamp!?

If you look for previous posts you will find other owners complaining of rims chipping from GM/Caddilac dealer
Peace Xrayqueen.

I know, I have read these post, but it is a bit tricky for me because my Lade is not bought from a GM dealer because the Lade is not yet released here in norway. And it hard for me to compare to other Lade`s because there is less than 5 here. so you guys are my only help.. LOL

btw, hope your foglights still are OK:-)

Super
10-16-05, 07:39 AM
your VIN is perfectly OK, it doesn´t matter if it was sold as new in the US or elsewhere, the VIN is stamped at the factory.

slk230mb
10-16-05, 12:01 PM
The GM stamp is on the inside part of the of the spokes around the wheel.

hcvone
10-17-05, 08:33 AM
Take the wheel off, you will be able to see the GM it's cast into the wheel. :)

cardio-doc
10-17-05, 10:25 AM
Plenty of OEM Cadillac 'plain finish' wheels out there that have been chrome-plated aftermarket. They'll read "GM" in several places but they're not factory-chrome.

cheers,

~Doc