Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Just bought the Arnott AS-2708 Reman rear shocks. Anyone use these yet?

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dsminva 
#1 ·
Curious what your experience with them has been.

#2 ·
I hate to rain on your recent purchase but Arnott, nor anyone else can rebuild OEM production shock absorbers. Arnott takes used, well worn shocks that others send in as cores and paints them. They do add a new air bag and related parts but the shocks are NOT rebuilt in any way and are in fact old used shocks. OEM type shocks can not be rebuilt or remanufactured in any way. The shock is what controls the ride and functions within the stability system. The air bag only holds up and levels the load and does not have anything to do with ride or handling other than keeping the vehicle at relatively the same ride height.

#5 ·
Yes, Arnott says they are completely rebuilt but they are NOT. I read their literature and wondered how is this possible since OEM shocks are sealed units with no access to the piston and valving. I called and got the front office lady who backed up the literature saying completely rebuilt. I asked a few questions about how the shocks are rebuilt and pressed for answers and was then connected to their "Engineer". This nice gentleman confirmed that they take old used shocks, test them, clean and paint them and then add the new air bag. Don't take my word, call yourself and ask exactly how and what they do to the internal components of the shock absorber. This is very old news that has been known for many years on many different vehicle forums which use rear airshocks.

#7 ·
Monello96 said:
.... ---------- Called again and now he is saying they are not touched on the inside but will warranty rebound/leaks etc only if purchased through their own website. I bought mine through carid and they said I have to go through carid for warranty. This makes zero sense.
i saw that price on carid and called arnott and they matched it

#8 ·
Sure they will replace them - with another set of used worn out shocks. Thats were Arnott gets the used shocks to clean and paint - other customers old shocks that are sent in as cores or from junk yards. As stated previously, OEM production shocks are pressweld shut when manufactured and can not be rebuilt by anyone. Arnott had made a fortune selling used shocks. If anyone what to buy mine which work perfectly I'll sell them for half of Arnotts price instead of throwing them away when I need new ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.