Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Ac compressor issue

926 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  2kflhr 
#1 ·
Hello all,

So driving the other day and started to hear a loud noise coming from the engine bay. I inspected and it appears the clutch assembly has fallen apart. The compressor works but noisy. Has anyone just replaced the clutch assembly or is it better to change whole unit.

If whole unit I know it's recommended to replace the dryer as well. Should I change everything or the comp only. Also I have done comp changes before does not look hard. I just want to make sure I get it installed correctly I dont want to do it again. I have a vac pump but not sure about oils etc.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
If its time for the clutch to go out the compressor is likely not far from failing either. I would suggest biting the bullet and replacing the compressor (new, not rebuilt), accumulator/dryer and orifice tube and be done with it. I had to do this same thing due to a slipping clutch on my 2000 Silverado and just got the call today that it is finished and ready to be picked up.

As far as doing it yourself, its not hard but recovering the old R134 to replace components is required as venting it to the atmoshpere is illegal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.