: I smell gas in my 95 concours

oracle
12-02-03, 10:10 PM
I've noticed that my 95 concours smells like gas under the hood after driving it. It also smells like gas in the car when I have the heater/AC on and I'm idling at a stop light. Anyone know what's going on?

DaveSmed
12-02-03, 10:15 PM
Any visible fuel leaks under the car? If not, I would suspect the EVAP system. This is the system that captures fuel vapors from the gas tank. A hose may have come off, or there may be a problem with the charcoal canister.

oracle
12-02-03, 10:19 PM
Any visible fuel leaks under the car? If not, I would suspect the EVAP system. This is the system that captures fuel vapors from the gas tank. A hose may have come off, or there may be a problem with the charcoal canister.

Thanks for the reply! No I haven't noticed any leaks. Would the hose be visible from the top? And what/where is the charcoal canister?

DaveSmed
12-02-03, 10:26 PM
Hmm. here's the tough part. They got pretty good at hiding those canisters, but i know of a few locations. Look for a black plastic brick underneath the car, in front of the gas tank. Also, see if the gas smell gets stronger underneath the car.

oracle
12-02-03, 10:31 PM
Hmm. here's the tough part. They got pretty good at hiding those canisters, but i know of a few locations. Look for a black plastic brick underneath the car, in front of the gas tank. Also, see if the gas smell gets stronger underneath the car.

Thanks! I'll give that a try and get back to you.

Logandiagnostic
12-03-03, 12:06 AM
Uhhmm...stop what you are doing and check for leaking plastic fuel lines at the injectors. Starting to see that quite a bit.

Logan

95Concours
01-04-04, 05:00 PM
http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2003

Go here and scroll down to troble spots.. Just and Idea...

they say:

"Fuel odors: Leaks in the vapor recovery system, due to excessively short hoses coming loose, causes fuel odors inside the car. (1997)"

Logandiagnostic
01-04-04, 05:19 PM
This is what we are concerned about....the leaking fuel lines Nhtsa is looking in to.....

NHTSA Action Number : PE03050 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make : CADILLAC Model: SEVILLE
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 1997
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:FUEL RAIL
Date Investigation Opened : October 30, 2003
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
ODI HAS RECEIVED 69 COMPLAINTS ALLEGING UNDERHOOD FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, INCLUDING 6 FIRES. APPROXIMATELY TWO-THIRDS OF THE COMPLAINTS IDENTIFY THE FUEL RAIL AS THE SOURCE OF THE LEAKAGE. MANY OF THE COMPLAINTS DESCRIBE FUEL SPRAYING FROM SMALL HOLES IN PLASTIC SECTIONS OF THE FUEL RAIL ASSEMBLY. THE OLDSMOBILE AURORA VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L V-8 ENGINE AND THE CADILLAC MODELS ARE EQUIPPED WITH NORTHSTAR 4.6L V-8 ENGINES. THE VEHICLES ALL USE A COMMON FUEL RAIL. APPROXIMATELY TWO-THIRDS OF THE COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED IN THE LAST TWO YEARS.

The document shows a '97 Seville. Basically its the same engine.

Logan

johnyhuh
01-26-04, 06:23 PM
I have the same problem. How do I add a complaint? Its a very dangerous situation.

This is what we are concerned about....the leaking fuel lines Nhtsa is looking in to.....

NHTSA Action Number : PE03050 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make : CADILLAC Model: SEVILLE
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 1997
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:FUEL RAIL
Date Investigation Opened : October 30, 2003
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
ODI HAS RECEIVED 69 COMPLAINTS ALLEGING UNDERHOOD FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, INCLUDING 6 FIRES. APPROXIMATELY TWO-THIRDS OF THE COMPLAINTS IDENTIFY THE FUEL RAIL AS THE SOURCE OF THE LEAKAGE. MANY OF THE COMPLAINTS DESCRIBE FUEL SPRAYING FROM SMALL HOLES IN PLASTIC SECTIONS OF THE FUEL RAIL ASSEMBLY. THE OLDSMOBILE AURORA VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L V-8 ENGINE AND THE CADILLAC MODELS ARE EQUIPPED WITH NORTHSTAR 4.6L V-8 ENGINES. THE VEHICLES ALL USE A COMMON FUEL RAIL. APPROXIMATELY TWO-THIRDS OF THE COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED IN THE LAST TWO YEARS.

The document shows a '97 Seville. Basically its the same engine.

Logan

phathead785
08-31-05, 11:56 PM
I have the same problem myself! Please help!

Ranger
09-01-05, 12:05 AM
There is no need to complain. The '95 - '97 have been recalled. Just go to the dealer (SOON) and they will replace the fuel rail with a stainless steel rail free of charge.

terrible one
09-01-05, 12:29 AM
I wonder why they didn't use stainless steel ones to start with

mcowden
09-01-05, 01:48 AM
I wonder why they didn't use stainless steel ones to start with

Well that's easy: They cost more.