: NA power out of a North*?

martini
12-02-03, 08:08 PM
OK, so you guys will probably think I'm full of crap, and that I'm crazy...but here it goes anyways.

I'm into building one of a kind, crazy cars. I have this piece of junk 88 civic hatchback and I've pretty much decided to put a northstar V8 into the back of it. I considered just moving the stock engine to the back, but that would be boring..

Here's the plan: Backhalf the car, imitate a fiero rear end with a tube chassis, transplant the N* in, relocate the gas tank to under the hood, run hard aluminum or ss coolant pipes to the radiator in the front. Obviously there is a lot of custom work that would go into a project like this, but it's not anything too difficult

Here's the question though... how much power have you guy been able to get out of a northstar while keeping it normally aspirated? Pistons? Port and polish? Cams? Intake manifold? Headers? Are any of these things available in the aftermarket, or am I going to have to custom make/order this stuff?

Guess I could just put head studs on, and dump some nitrous in there, but I'd rather go NA with it.

epanightmare
12-02-03, 09:59 PM
OK, so you guys will probably think I'm full of crap, and that I'm crazy...but here it goes anyways.

I'm into building one of a kind, crazy cars. I have this piece of junk 88 civic hatchback and I've pretty much decided to put a northstar V8 into the back of it. I considered just moving the stock engine to the back, but that would be boring..

Here's the plan: Backhalf the car, imitate a fiero rear end with a tube chassis, transplant the N* in, relocate the gas tank to under the hood, run hard aluminum or ss coolant pipes to the radiator in the front. Obviously there is a lot of custom work that would go into a project like this, but it's not anything too difficult

Here's the question though... how much power have you guy been able to get out of a northstar while keeping it normally aspirated? Pistons? Port and polish? Cams? Intake manifold? Headers? Are any of these things available in the aftermarket, or am I going to have to custom make/order this stuff?

Guess I could just put head studs on, and dump some nitrous in there, but I'd rather go NA with it.
I like to see the ambition,and i can tell you first hand that you have alot of work ahead of you. You can check out www.chrfab.com (http://www.chrfab.com) for some of the parts you'll need. By the way the wiring is the hardest part of the job but I don't think it will be that bad, but you will need to get a custom program for the PCM so it will run correctly. check out this link for some more info on the motor swap. ..http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4058

:)

eehoepp
12-04-03, 10:13 PM
Take the whole powertrain (engine, trans, hubs, struts & everything) & graft it in. If you re-use the strut towers and strut tower brace from the donor, keeping the suspension alignment shouldn't be too tough. You'd obviously need to lock the steering, though (unless you want to experiment with 4-wheel steering).

If the Civic is a junker anyway, I am assuming this is not going to have a spit'n'polish finish. I'd keep as much of the Caddy wiring harness as you can - even graft the instrument panel (including the heater controls for the DTC functions) into the Civic. You'd likely have to scrap the ABS, traction control and ride control system

Oh, yeah. You'll need to add some skid blocks under the rear bumper. I'm pretty sure you could do a pretty respectable wheelstand.

A guy I work with is fantasizing about the same transplant. We've talked...

martini
12-21-03, 01:25 PM
Take the whole powertrain (engine, trans, hubs, struts & everything) & graft it in. If you re-use the strut towers and strut tower brace from the donor, keeping the suspension alignment shouldn't be too tough. You'd obviously need to lock the steering, though (unless you want to experiment with 4-wheel steering).

Yeah, that's why I was planning on basically using the back half of a fiero as a template for the rear of my civic. Because, as I udnerstand it, a Northstar basically bolts right into the rearend of a fiero. Back when I was considering just moving the civic engine to the rear, that's what I would've done...used all the suspension geometry from the front, and locked the steering.

If the Civic is a junker anyway, I am assuming this is not going to have a spit'n'polish finish. I'd keep as much of the Caddy wiring harness as you can - even graft the instrument panel (including the heater controls for the DTC functions) into the Civic. You'd likely have to scrap the ABS, traction control and ride control system

Yeah I was planning on using mostly the caddy harness (obvious things like brake lights, tails, turn indicators and such would be from the civic.)

Oh, yeah. You'll need to add some skid blocks under the rear bumper. I'm pretty sure you could do a pretty respectable wheelstand.

that's what I like to hear. :) Better leave some room for wheel bars too. :)

sounds like I should basically find a scraped caddy, and pull what I want. Rear end smash should work nicely.

jonrodman
12-27-03, 02:37 AM
Yeah, that's why I was planning on basically using the back half of a fiero as a template for the rear of my civic. Because, as I udnerstand it, a Northstar basically bolts right into the rearend of a fiero. Back when I was considering just moving the civic engine to the rear, that's what I would've done...used all the suspension geometry from the front, and locked the steering.

Yeah I was planning on using mostly the caddy harness (obvious things like brake lights, tails, turn indicators and such would be from the civic.)

that's what I like to hear. :) Better leave some room for wheel bars too. :)

sounds like I should basically find a scraped caddy, and pull what I want. Rear end smash should work nicely.

I used to drive a 86 Fiero GT. That was a great handling car. The aerodynamics were excellent at high speed. It was actually a quick little car with great handling.

I think you would be better off to find a crashed Cadillac STS and a Fiero in need of a new powerplant. A Northstar Fiero would be a really nice setup. It would be less work, and maybe a better result.

Jon
96STS

SpeedyV6
12-27-03, 10:50 AM

Guess I could just put head studs on, and dump some nitrous in there, but I'd rather go NA with it.RSM has custom heads, & a ported throttle body for the NorthStar. Check out HeadersbyEd.com & chrfad.com for custom header parts. Caddyinfo.com is another resource. Good luck!!