Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2011 ESV Platinum escalade-Gas question

5K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  evois 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this forum as I just got my 2011 escalade today! I'm sure this question ahead popped up several times, but I just wanted to know what octane everyone uses? The Cadillac dealership said they use 87 in all their vehicles but as I went to the gas pump, the gas door says premium or E85 (not available in my area), is it really okay to use 87 or does it have to be premium? I just sold my QX56 which use to give me problems if I used anything less than 93, just curious. Sorry to annoy anyone but hope

----------

Hopefully you all will welcome me with open arms! Lol

#5 ·
Hope you realize that the same truck from the same refinery delivers to several "brands" gas stations every day. And the source can change as often as monthly, depending on prices, contracts running out... Your Chevron can be selling the same fuel as the mobile down the street, and the no name gas station down the street.

If you're really concerned with "better" fuel, google top tier fuel.

OP, :welcome5:
I'd strongly suggest you do a little reading on what octane rating is, what it can and can't affect, and under what conditions it actually makes a difference. Realize that "premium" doesn't mean "better". Higher octane fuel is more resistant to igniting under the heat of compression. It contains no more hydrocarbons (power content) or detergents than lower octane fuels. In a nutshell, if you're not planning on much full throttle/near full throttle operation, towing, or racing, 87 is just fine.

#11 ·
Not saying I know what's right but my experience is as follows:
Got the 07 EXt with 50k miles. Drove 3k miles on 87 octane. started getting increasingly louder ticking noise for the first 5-10 minutes when the engine was cold in the mornings. Switched to 91 octane and the ticking noise gradually went away to where I don't notice it any more. No difference in outside temperatures. I am personally sure my 07 wants 91 or better

#12 ·
Open your owners manual, it will tell you what to use. There are non Escalade owners here that will give you wrong information, that may or may not damage your truck, listen to Escalade owners, not Escalade want to be owners. :)

#13 ·
MoistCabbage said:
Hope you realize that the same truck from the same refinery delivers to several "brands" gas stations every day. And the source can change as often as monthly, depending on prices, contracts running out... Your Chevron can be selling the same fuel as the mobile down the street, and the no name gas station down the street. If you're really concerned with "better" fuel, google top tier fuel. OP, :welcome5: I'd strongly suggest you do a little reading on what octane rating is, what it can and can't affect, and under what conditions it actually makes a difference. Realize that "premium" doesn't mean "better". Higher octane fuel is more resistant to igniting under the heat of compression. It contains no more hydrocarbons (power content) or detergents than lower octane fuels. In a nutshell, if you're not planning on much full throttle/near full throttle operation, towing, or racing, 87 is just fine.
You mean costco doesn't have a refinery!? :)

#14 ·
This always been an ongoing question. The manual say premium gas recommend. 87 octane will run fine, but will reduce in power and some knocking. If you can live with the knocking or don't want to go fast, 87 is fine. If you want to be safe than sorry or have a lead foot, then use premium. :)

#15 ·
Why not just bump up slightly and go with 89 octane and see if that helps with the knocking & pinging ?
Also to smooth it out add some Marvels Mystery Oil to the motor oil and gas. Probably 12 oz for the ESV gas. Really quiets an engine and smoothes out the response.

#16 ·
I buy all my vehicles with long tern ownership in mind. If I want them to last as long as possible with minimal repairs, and failures, I feel it's my responsibility to at least do my part. This means using the highest quality replacement parts for normal wear & tear maintenance.....and most important to me......the highest grade and quality fluids. I can't imagine putting the best oils, and other fluids throughout my vehicle, and then going the cheapo route when I fill it up with gas!!! I don't think people realize that gasoline is THE most often changed fluid in the car....why would I take a chance on less than best each and every time???? If I can't afford to put the best in my baby...I might as well put a skirt on and start driving a Prius......just my $.02 worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.