Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Flasher Module replacement instead of using resistors to avoid hyperflash

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  pissedoffwookiee 
#1 ·
Does the flasher module even exist in our cars? Does anyone know of someone selling a new module to avoid the hyperflash? I am looking to get rid of the stock filament bulb front turn signals in favor of LEDs.

I can't seem to locate where the Flasher Module is for the ATS. I have the LED accent lights so not sure if that makes a difference. In past cars, I have just replaced the actual Flasher Module (looks like a big relay/fuse) instead of cutting into the stock wiring and adding resistors, which also get hot and have to find a place to mount them without melting anything.

If the ATS does not have a Flasher Module, where have you guys successfully mounted the resistors to avoid melting any plastic / rubber etc?

Thanks

#3 ·
Yes I figured this which is why I was reaching out on here for solutions. Doesn't look to be an easy answer. I would much rather not start cutting into the factory wiring. I emailed a "superbright" seller of LEDs and am awaiting a response. I will post my email to them below:

Hello,

I am looking to replace my front turn signals which are incandescent bulbs. On past vehicles I have easily been able to swap out the factory flasher module with one that supported LED bulbs to avoid hyperflash. My new car has LED rear blinkers from the factory and there is no such flasher module available to replace, leaving the problem of cutting into my factory wiring to add load resistors, something I would like to avoid.

I read the article at the link below, and the third option (CAN Bus LED bulbs) seems a bit misleading and I would like some clarification.

*LINK REMOVED DUE TO THEM NOT BEING A VENDOR*

Will the CAN Bus LED bulbs that you sell eliminate hyperflash on their own, without the need for load resistors? The fact the title of the article includes "...and how do you fix it?" would tell me that they would fix hyperflash, but I wanted to confirm before purchasing.

Additionally, what is the reason you advise against installing CAN Bus and Non CAN Bus applications?

I realize CAN Bus LED bulbs run hotter than non CAN Bus due to the additional resistor built in to them, but do they "run hotter" even when the bulbs are not on/functioning? In order to keep the load correct, is the resistor constantly working or does it only activate (and get hot) when the light is turned on/activated?

#4 ·
there is no flasher module, the flash and its rate is controlled by the BCM (body control module) which is on the can bus network... this is how the car can tell you in the DIC there is a bulb problem and it controls the hyperflash the only way around this without resistors is to reprogram the BCM, the resistors in the past were used to increase the load past a threshold necessary to trip the flasher module, on can bus cars it merely looks at the bulbs and has a known resistance for the bulb technically it doesn't matter, but if the BCM detects a variance from what it expects to see it determines it needs to hyper flash, a can bus cable, or can bus bulbs or a resistor is needed to fool the BCM that all is ok

#6 ·
if the bulbs are truly CAN buS bulbs than yes you should be fine. However there is no such thing as a CAN bus Bulb. All it is are LED bulbs with resistors and loads on them. the negative side of that is all that stuff heats up. that's how the system gets fooled. it mimics an 8ohm load across the polls. this causes Heat. now you say its in the housing who cares. yes the housing will take the heat but the socket will not. Until it is perfected your better off using a load cell that has a heat sink built around it. That is the safest method to date.

and as someone said the BCM controls the rate of flash as well as the threshold. so if a bulb is out it can see it due to lack of a load. However if the BCM is told the bulb is an LED the load drops from 8ohms to 2. and hyperflash is avoided. However DO YOU or anyone know of a direct way to program the BCM without using TIS? I have the ability with Dodge. I can directly program the control modules.

#7 ·
one problem with reprogramming control modules like the BCM is they are linked to your VIN and GM keeps backups of every one on file, this is done in case of failure, you can replace it with a new one and the technician can reload it with all your updates from recalls, TSBs or upgrades intact...

i discovered this when i upgraded my previous ATS with remote start...the kit came with an authorization code, the tech had to use when he contacted GM tech center, he then provided my vin and the code ...they updated the programming at the mother ship the tech connected his scan tool/laptop to their system told it what car (presumably by VIN) it downloaded my new BCM program he then connected it to my car uploaded it and bingo i had remote start....

the BCM is truly the boss of the cars body....just like other modules TCM (transmission) ECM (engine) etc are their parts boss....and they all sit on the Can-Bus network talking to each other...these cars aren't cars with electronics anymore they're data networks on wheels that command mechanical subsystems like brakes, engine etc.....this is also how things like stabilitrak can issue commands to deploy airbags

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.