: A method to remove Crankshaft bolt without locking the flywheel or using the starter.

bsamole
06-30-14, 06:16 PM
A method to remove Crankshaft bolt without locking the flywheel or using the starter.

Use a chain along with a quick link and anchor shackle. Attach the anchor shackle to the inner ring of the crankshaft balancer (harmonic damper). Wrap the chain around the control arm and use the quick link to attach the chain to the anchor shackle. Since the chain attached to the inner ring no pressure is placed on the material between the crankshaft balancer halfs. Drill a 1/2in hole in a long 2x4 in a direct line with the crank bolt. It appears that Cadillac notched the frame for access to the crank bolt. With a helper to hold the 2x4, 20 inches of socket extensions a breaker bar with jack handle inserted provides enough leverage to loosen the crank bolt. Use a Evertough 67020 small three jaw puller to remove the crankshaft balancer. You may be able to borrow one from your local auto parts store. FYI the 2000 Deville uses front cover GM part number 12576050 and the front cover gasket GM part number 12554519.

rodnok01
06-30-14, 09:27 PM
I used a flywheel lock tool I purchased for $10 off eBay... I don't think holding the balancer that way would be a horribly good idea,but hey if it works it works.

97EldoCoupe
06-30-14, 10:08 PM
Well it certainly gave me an idea on how to prevent a vehicle from being stolen! I built my own lock tool using a section of old flexplate and some 3/16" flat bar. I rarely pull the balancer off in the car though. This will definitely work, no doubt!