: 92-97 STS exhaust, what ya'll got?

STS
03-03-03, 06:15 PM
i can only find corsa systems for the 98-up, and their pretty expensive anyway. what have you pre-98 owners done to help improve the performance/sound of your exhaust?

jadcock
03-03-03, 07:34 PM
I think with the 92-97 generation, replacement of the mufflers and custom piping are what's most prevalent. I think a lot of folks are running Dynomax mufflers. If I were to upgrade my mufflers, I think I'd go with Borla. I have a lot of good experiences with them and their quality is top-notch. You pay for it in the price, but I really believe you're getting that in the product.

I've also had good results with Dynomax in the past, and even have one on my truck right now. I believe that if it were my Cadillac, though, I'd go with Borla. 100% personal opinion.

Check in the Allante forum on this page. Don has a set of Borlas on his '93 Northstar Allante and I can't wait to hear that setup when I meet up with him at Bristol this spring. Anyone else wanna come race?! Let's get a big Cadillac crowd out there.

Northstar32
03-19-03, 12:35 AM
Jad, in your past experiences with Borla, how long have they lasted for you? I live in Canada, and it seems that every after-market exhaust system seems to last approx 2 years, 3 MAX due to the Snow and corrosive salt . I'm almost tempted to go to GM and get a stock exhaust.
Any suggestions for my geographical climate?

jadcock
03-19-03, 09:51 AM
We've had a Borla cat-back on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it's lasted since we've installed it 5 years ago. We live in the mid-Atlantic, so salt isn't too bad. If I recall correctly, all Borla stuff is stainless steel, meaning unless it gets damaged somehow, rust shouldn't be a problem.

93 Lac
03-19-03, 07:55 PM
Man, I am heavily interested in what I can do my 93. I say about 30 more horses oughta do it. I hope more people respond to this.

jadcock
03-19-03, 10:13 PM
I'd say to get 30 horses, you'll have to do mufflers, a chip, a larger throttle body, and a good intake system. The stock intake is good for stock engines. If you do multiple modifications to your vehicle, you'll probably benefit from a better intake system.

93 Lac
03-20-03, 01:11 AM
Where can i get this intake system? I have looked everwhere for one and cant seem to find anything.

jadcock
03-20-03, 09:19 AM
You can't -- you have to make one. If you embark on this journey, be sure to corroborate that intake with some other mods, or you'll likely not get any positive results. Mods have to work together and if all else is stock on your engine, the factory intake system has enough capacity to serve the engine. Very little gain will be seen with an intake alone. That's been my experience, and the experience of someone who just emailed me yesterday, saying he wish he saw my site before he wasted 70 bucks on an intake because he got the same results as I. I'll post that under a separate topic.

Northstar32
03-21-03, 02:42 PM
Wow, your Borla Exhaust has lasted you 5 years? that would be well worth the money, although, I don't think I would have the same result. I live in the Canadian climate, and every winter, the REALLY SALT the roads HEAVILY. Extremely corrosive.
I have found aftermarket exhaust systems to not last more than 3 years max, because their pipes are not as thick as GM stock.
What do you think?

jadcock
03-21-03, 03:58 PM
If it's stainless steel, it will not rust -- not unless you damage it somehow. GM systems are good because many of them are stainless steel.

Northstar32
03-21-03, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the useful info Jason, my exhaust system looks like it's gonna go at any time now. Some holes are starting to rust through, but it's not loud yet....so hopefully I've got a few more months.

Northstar32
03-21-03, 05:28 PM
Resonator or no resonator? Any comments?

jadcock
03-21-03, 07:36 PM
Resonator! If it's there from the factory, it's always there for a reason. You may get 2 hp for removing it, but you also might get some resonance (a droning sound) at certain rpms too. Compromises... I say, stay stock.

Northstar32
03-22-03, 04:09 PM
Well, I kinda like that deep low throaty sound the STS gives, but it would be nice if it was a little louder. Personal pref. would a catback exhaust give this effect?

Allante North *
03-26-03, 11:39 PM
A catback will give you more sound under idle and WOT, but at a cost. You can spend $1,200.00+ on a Corsa or Borla catback or cobble up your own with just the mufflers. I tried to get info on a Corsa, but they had no application for my Caddy. I bought the mufflers from Husker High Performance for about $90.00 each with S&H and had a local muffler shop bend the pipes and install two Borlas where my single stock Cadillac muffler was. Check out the link to hear the Corsa exhaust on a Northstar.

http://www.corsaperf.com/flashcadillac.htm

Northstar32
03-28-03, 11:52 PM
Wow, I listened to those clips, does your exhaust sound that? or is that advertising hype on the part of Corsa??

Allante North *
03-29-03, 07:14 AM
Mine is a bit louder because I have no Cat or resonator. I will either put the Cat back on or add a resonator after I go to the track. I may go with both depending on the sound. I don't think there is any hype on Corsas site or Borla for that matter. I also think you can save some bucks if you just put the mufflers on in place of a cat back system. I spent $300 -vs- the $1,200 Corsa wants for a Cat back system. Its a matter of preference in what you want and funds available. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Northstar32
03-30-03, 12:44 AM
Wo! no CAT?? or Resonator?? that must be loud! but it's a "Nice" loud :) Something I can definately love. well, except for all the tickets I may get.