: Bolting filter right on the motor

El_Dog
12-01-03, 02:45 PM
Would this be a bad idea? I have done it to an oldsmobile, and it gave noticable gains. What i did was just take the rubber "hose" of the motor and put the filter right on the motor. Would this be ok to do on northstars? Please give me some info

JohnnyLfromCT
12-01-03, 02:59 PM
Would this be a bad idea? I have done it to an oldsmobile, and it gave noticable gains. What i did was just take the rubber "hose" of the motor and put the filter right on the motor. Would this be ok to do on northstars? Please give me some info

Northstars run too hot to do this...all you'll be doing is sucking super-heated air into your motor.

01STS
12-01-03, 05:24 PM
You may not be able to bolt it on the throttle body depending on the year of the car. My year has a mass air flow sensor before the throttle body. I think the earlier years are based on speed density and use a MAP sensor instead so you'd be able to bolt a filter right up. As for the horsepower increase, I wouldn't expect anything much. You'd be pulling in less dense hot air into the motor and when the electric fans kick in a lot of turbulent air as well. Both are huge horsepower killers.

Aurora By Olds
12-06-03, 12:59 AM
If you ditch the airbox and use some type of high flow filter you will notice a pretty good gain as well as a nice throaty sound. You have to pipe the filter out of the way and make a heat shield to ensure it gets the coldest air possible, or you will actually lost hp as well as gas mileage, and your engine may even run a slight bit warmer.
I would definitly recommend a cold air intake. The sound alone is worth it.