: Water pump drive pulley

baller95
06-19-14, 04:34 PM
Hey guys, does anyone know where I can get one of these pulleys for my 2000 DTS for cheap? RockAuto?

MoistCabbage
06-19-14, 05:06 PM
They're like $30 on Rockauto.

Submariner409
06-19-14, 05:12 PM
There are 3 pulleys - the drive pulley, cam mounted; the tensioner pulley, bolted to the tensioner spring arm; and the water pump pulley, pressed on and not available separately from the pump assembly.

Yep, RockAuto - Tensioner pulley in "Belt Drive", WP (drive) pulley in "Cooling System" as well as the water pump assembly.

The big plastic/metal cam pulley takes a special removal/install kit. Don't screw up that cam extension. BIG bucks.

baller95
06-20-14, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys, so I'd need to get the entire assembly? Anyone know what the costs are for that? Still about $30?

Submariner409
06-20-14, 05:59 PM
What assembly ? Which pulley are we talking about ?

Each one of those 3 pulleys takes a very different method to replace it.

baller95
06-20-14, 06:43 PM
Oh my bad, I think it's the drive pulley.

Submariner409
06-20-14, 08:10 PM
That pulley is pressed TIGHTLY onto the left (front) bank intake cam extension. It takes a special puller/installer and caution to replace it. Do NOT bang, tap, twist, or bend - use the correct puller on the pulley hub groove. If it has never been fooled with the black plastic protective cover is probably still in place. Remove it with a suitable Torx to reveal the chamfer and threads used for pull/install.

How-to's in Tech Tips and Engines; Northstar. Google "cadillac forums northstar water pump drive pulley".

98eldo32v
06-21-14, 12:59 AM
You need a dorman products 300-940, or you try your luck with the appropriate remover/installer at the salvage yard.......

baller95
06-22-14, 10:39 AM
That pulley is pressed TIGHTLY onto the left (front) bank intake cam extension. It takes a special puller/installer and caution to replace it. Do NOT bang, tap, twist, or bend - use the correct puller on the pulley hub groove. If it has never been fooled with the black plastic protective cover is probably still in place. Remove it with a suitable Torx to reveal the chamfer and threads used for pull/install.

How-to's in Tech Tips and Engines; Northstar. Google "cadillac forums northstar water pump drive pulley".

Thanks! I have a guy who'll do the work but I just wanted to know how much for the part.

You need a dorman products 300-940, or you try your luck with the appropriate remover/installer at the salvage yard.......

Dorman products?

Submariner409
06-22-14, 11:20 AM
www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com), make, model, year, engine - either "belt drive", "engine" or "cooling". Click the small picture for a larger view.

Dorman is a huge automotive product distributor and, like most others, contracts with thousands of suppliers - you just need to know the worth and quality of each product. Some are obviously inferior to OEM.

You want to bring water to your eyes ??? Look up the pricing for the Kent-Moore GM Northstar water pump drive pulley removal and install equipment.

Sometimes you can get lucky at a GM dealership closing auction. Bring certified checks.

Here's the puller - well over $100 alone ...............

baller95
10-26-14, 02:59 PM
Well, the bad pulley broke my serpentine belt and sent things flying around in the engine. Mechanic says I need an "auto adjustment pulley assembly" and belt. What's he talking about?

Submariner409
10-26-14, 04:40 PM
Unless the tensioner spring or arm is damaged, the water pump tensioner pulley is replaceable alone. Either RockAuto (belt drive, tensioner pulley, 3-rib). As per the picture.

Follow the instructions posted earlier in this thread if the tensioner pulley caused damage to the large drive pulley on the cam extension.

Why didn't you do the work when you started this thread 4 months ago ??? You could now have (and might have) caused much more engine damage than you know. Here's a Northstar hint: Fix the small stuff NOW before the growing snowball takes out the entire engine.

baller95
10-26-14, 06:42 PM
Haha yeah I know I end up wanting to do something then never have the time to do it. Thanks though! :thumbsup:

97EldoCoupe
10-27-14, 10:33 PM
I sell the pulley puller tool for $53.00. Slightly different but works flawlessly. If you need one let me know :)