: TPS values (PD01 PCM Data output)

davesdeville
10-03-05, 06:39 AM
Ok, so what is the normal WOT throttle position sensor angle for a Northstar? I know it probably won't get all the way to 90 degrees, but mine barely hits 81. I'd like to know if that's normal or if the carpet is getting in the way of fully depressing the pedal or something like that.

If you don't know, and you have an OBDI car you can check yours at WOT and post here (get into OBD, fan up at "PCM?," fan up at "PCM Data?," and the DIC should read "PD01 (or maybe ED01) xx.x" or something similar, I want what numbers are in the xx.x spots, for example mine's around 81.1. I'd just like to have something to compare to.

Eldyfig
10-03-05, 01:29 PM
Looks like in the book it says the range of the parameter is 93.4. If it actually gets near that, I am curious. I will try when I go to work this evening...if there isn't too much traffic.

peteski
10-03-05, 11:00 PM
Instead of sitting in the car, open your hood and use your hand on the throttle lever to open it wide (at the throttle body).
Have someone in the car read you the result. That will show you weather the cable or carpet is restricting it from fully opening.

You can read this parameter with the engine off (not running). No need to drive it with WOT (even if it is more fun that way). :D

Peteski

mcowden
10-03-05, 11:23 PM
Instead of sitting in the car, open your hood and use your hand on the throttle lever to open it wide (at the throttle body).
Have someone in the car read you the result. That will show you weather the cable or carpet is restricting it from fully opening.

You can read this parameter with the engine off (not running). No need to drive it with WOT (even if it is more fun that way). :D

Peteski

That's what I was going to say. If you hold the throttle blade open, you know exactly where it is. Hold it all the way open, then let it go and run REALLY fast and look at the display before it closes all the way. (yes, that's a joke) Have somebody else look at it for you.

davesdeville
10-04-05, 03:17 AM
Thanks Eldyfig I was kinda hoping someone would be able to look that up.

I was hoping for some real world numbers as well but I suppose not.

I didn't think WOT necissarily meant accelerating, since you can have the throttle wide open with the engine off... I'll find somebody to look at the display while I hold the throttle lever open tomorrow.

Eldyfig
10-04-05, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I guess that would be a safe way to check it. It has been raining the last couple of days whenever I go to work. Haven't had a chance to do a WOT.

Maybe how far someone's throttle plate opens would explain to me why some say their WOT burst in 2nd gear puts their rpms at 6000 before switching gears. Mine seems to switch gear at about 5600 rpm. ......... Now that I have typed that, I doubt it has anything to do with the gears switching and a different rpm. Hmmm.

davesdeville
10-08-05, 04:11 AM
Finally got somebody to sit in the drivers seat and look at the DIC while I moved the throttle plate. Got the same 81.2. It kind of looks like there's actually an adjustment for the throttle plate stop under the TB on the rear side of the car, but since it was kinda dark out I couldn't tell. I shall investigate closer tomorrow. I want my 90* dammit :)

Eldyfig
10-08-05, 11:41 AM
Let us know how it goes.