: Special tool for Northstar water pump drive pulley

ndl2s
06-18-14, 08:21 PM
Hey I'm trying to replace my gaskets in my 99 seville, I have my Haynes repair manual and it is callin for a "special tool" to remove the water pump DRIVEBELT from the driveshaft but doesn't explain what tool it is though... So hopping someone can tell me the tool or a way around it

ndl2s
06-18-14, 08:29 PM

STS-Fan
06-18-14, 08:33 PM
Loan-a-tool 27031 from auto zone or similar will take that pulley off

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Pulley-puller-installer-kit/_/N-26vd?itemIdentifier=2075_0_0_&target=shelf

ndl2s
06-18-14, 08:44 PM
Will give that a try tomorrow first thing thank you!!!

----------

Loan-a-tool 27031 from auto zone or similar will take that pulley off

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Pulley-puller-installer-kit/_/N-26vd?itemIdentifier=2075_0_0_&target=shelf

Will give that a shot tomorrow morning thank you

STS-Fan
06-18-14, 08:53 PM
no problem it clamps around the small lip there at the end of the pulley then threads in and pulls the pulley off the shaft - the pulley is pressed on.

ndl2s
06-18-14, 08:55 PM
no problem it clamps around the small lip there at the end of the pulley then threads in and pulls the pulley off the shaft - the pulley is pressed on.

Thank you so much u have no idea I was starting to go crazy! I really appreciate it

Ranger
06-18-14, 09:37 PM
It's nothing more than a P/S pump pulley puller/installer. Say that 3 times fast.

DO NOT be tempted to use a 3 jaw gear puller. :tisk:

ndl2s
06-18-14, 11:07 PM
It's nothing more than a P/S pump pulley puller/installer. Say that 3 times fast.

DO NOT be tempted to use a 3 jaw gear puller. :tisk:

Should I try the tool @sts-fan suggested?? Lol failed at saying it 3 times fast lol

MoistCabbage
06-18-14, 11:36 PM
Yes, that's a P/S pulley pulled/installer.

What gaskets are you trying to replace? If its anything more involved than the cam cover gaskets, throw the Haynes out and get a real Helm FSM.

Actually, do that anyway.

ndl2s
06-18-14, 11:47 PM
Yes, that's a P/S pulley pulled/installer.

What gaskets are you trying to replace? If its anything more involved than the cam cover gaskets, throw the Haynes out and get a real Helm FSM.

Actually, do that anyway.

Just doin cam cover for now that's all I feel comfortable doing on my own but your sayin the Haynes one is garbage, it was the only one I could find and get today I'm a newbee

----------

Thank you guys for all the help, blessed me really couldn't find any info for days from any parts store clerk

MoistCabbage
06-18-14, 11:52 PM
Haynes and Chiltons are way too vague, la k way too much info, and sometimes just plain wrong. Best used to soak up spills or line bird cages.

You can get a Helm FSM set (not just one book) used on eBay, or new on Helms site.

NEVER ask a parts store clerk for information.

Submariner409
06-19-14, 10:51 AM
Either find a used GM/Helm service manual set on eBay or new at www.helminc.com. (A new set is now over $200)

Or subscribe the car (multi-year) to www.alldatadiy.com - cheapest of all ways.

ndl2s
06-19-14, 05:20 PM
I got the tool and removed that darn pulley but now my head is completely unbolted but still won't come off dew to the rod that the pully was on. Any help please

Submariner409
06-19-14, 05:27 PM
The "rod" is the left bank intake camshaft. You need to remove the intake cam oil seal - at the pulley end - and work the cam cover off the head. New seal, or you'll have a heck of an oil leak.

You NEED to get a real GM service manual. Too easy to break something costing big bucks.

Wait until you start on the right (rear) cam cover.

ndl2s
06-19-14, 05:35 PM
The "rod" is the left bank intake camshaft. You need to remove the intake cam oil seal - at the pulley end - and work the cam cover off the head. New seal, or you'll have a heck of an oil leak.

I'm just tryin to get the cam cover off and it's wedged on by that rod

Submariner409
06-19-14, 05:36 PM
Post #14

The removal procedure assumes that everything is out of the way of the cam cover - hoses, belts, pulleys, belt tensioner, everything.

MoistCabbage
06-19-14, 05:37 PM
As posted, you'll have to remove (and replace) the camshaft seal.

ndl2s
06-19-14, 05:40 PM
How do I "work" the valve cover off

----------

Valve covers wedged on there do I have to jack the front side of the motor??!?

Submariner409
06-19-14, 05:42 PM
Is everything - EVERYTHING - out of the way ? All hoses, radiator cover, belt tensioner, w/p belt, cover, everything.

No, you should not need to lift the engine - and if you do, you'll need jackstands to hold the car and then remove the front motor mount.

ndl2s
06-19-14, 05:49 PM
I can lift the cover all the way off on the one side (over the chain on the inside and everything) then when I go to slide it off the rod the covers not moving at all

Submariner409
06-19-14, 05:53 PM
Have you removed the cam extension oil seal as shown in Post #14 ?

Buy a new one for the replacement process. The original WILL leak like a sieve.

ndl2s
06-19-14, 05:58 PM
Have you removed the cam extension oil seal as shown in Post #14 ?

Buy a new one for the replacement process. The original WILL leak like a sieve.
Yea that's off tis still stuck

Submariner409
06-19-14, 06:05 PM
Hmmm............ MC, you shed any light on this one ??

oldstuff
06-19-14, 06:05 PM
It takes the removing of the bolted on cam seal to gain enough clearance to work it off the end of the camshaft "That rod"
Dave

I can lift the cover all the way off on the one side (over the chain on the inside and everything) then when I go to slide it off the rod the covers not moving at all

Submariner409
06-19-14, 06:06 PM
He did that since Post #14 and #17, verified in #22

Can you work the cover back into its original as-installed location and begin again with the oil seal removed ?

oldstuff
06-19-14, 07:05 PM
I see where you told him but didn't see any response where he did it. All he can talk about is having his head unbolted and that darn "rod"
I think he needs to bolt his head back on so he can think and do as suggested and remove the cover.
Dave

He did that since Post #14 and #17, verified in #22

Can you work the cover back into its original as-installed location and begin again with the oil seal removed ?

ndl2s
06-19-14, 07:19 PM
I can put the cover on its stuck though when I try to lift it off like post #16 but it will not slide off

STS-Fan
06-19-14, 07:36 PM
If the cam cover is off how about - Is the belt tensioner for the water pump still in place? Did you get the valve cover bolt that's hidden on that side? Is it getting stuck on the oil dipstick or upper radiator hose? Those are the initial items in that area that come to mind that you might be fighting against.

ndl2s
06-19-14, 09:22 PM
If the cam cover is off how about - Is the belt tensioner for the water pump still in place? Did you get the valve cover bolt that's hidden on that side? Is it getting stuck on the oil dipstick or upper radiator hose? Those are the initial items in that area that come to mind that you might be fighting against.

Thanks for the reply I have everything out of the way the cover seems to get wedged by something under it on the right side near where I took the pully off when I lift the left side over the chain then I can't slide it

oldstuff
06-19-14, 09:51 PM
Have you tried rolling the engine over a little. you may have a cam lobe interfering with it.
Dave

Thanks for the reply I have everything out of the way the cover seems to get wedged by something under it on the right side near where I took the pully off when I lift the left side over the chain then I can't slide it

ndl2s
06-19-14, 09:58 PM
I'm tryin to get my valve cover off of my 99 seville and everything is free besides when I go to lift it and slide the camshaft extension out it gets stuck and won't slide over the extension for the waterpump pulley

Post merged from identical thread.

ndl2s
06-19-14, 10:12 PM
Have you tried rolling the engine over a little. you may have a cam lobe interfering with it.
Dave

Just gave it a shot no go:(

STS-Fan
06-19-14, 11:31 PM

There's nothing else on that side of the motor only thing under the valve cover is the 2 camshafts. there is a camshaft cap near the end there where the shaft comes out but that should have no bearing on the valve cover removal. any chance you can shoot a quick video of the issue and post it onto YouTube so we can see visually what your having an issue with - just post the link here. Is the valve cover completely loose before you go to move it can you move it feely before you go to slide it over?

http://cliff.hostkansas.com/pffimages/Northstar_left_cylinder_head.jpg

ndl2s
06-19-14, 11:54 PM
There's nothing else on that side of the motor only thing under the valve cover is the 2 camshafts. there is a camshaft cap near the end there where the shaft comes out but that should have no bearing on the valve cover removal. any chance you can shoot a quick video of the issue and post it onto YouTube so we can see visually what your having an issue with - just post the link here. Is the valve cover completely loose before you go to move it can you move it feely before you go to slide it over?

http://cliff.hostkansas.com/pffimages/Northstar_left_cylinder_head.jpg

Yea I'll make a video in the morning, but yea I can wobble it all around before I try to lift it over the chain side and slide it

----------

My valve cover doesn't really look like that one

STS-Fan
06-20-14, 03:44 AM

What do you mean that's a Northstar valve cover in the removal photos

ndl2s
06-20-14, 08:36 AM

What do you mean that's a Northstar valve cover in the removal photos
I'm just sayin mines more a diff little, let me pull up a picture....224401

STS-Fan
06-20-14, 09:14 AM
same thing without the beauty cover over the top the directions are the same

Submariner409
06-20-14, 10:10 AM
If that's his picture and those are his yellow arrows, it's a pre-2000 engine, but there should be no difference in the removal sequence.

I wonder if the spark plugs need to be removed.

Post #1 says he has a 1999 Deville.

oldstuff
06-20-14, 11:57 AM
Good question. I can't imagine anyone trying to remove the cover without removing the plugs.
Shure wouldn't go endways with them in.
Dave

If that's his picture and those are his yellow arrows, it's a pre-2000 engine, but there should be no difference in the removal sequence.

ndl2s
06-20-14, 01:22 PM

I did not snap this shot, found it online... My cam covers just the same molding as the one pictured (pre2000)... Of course u need to pull out the plug wires, but the actual plugs set down that there's no way it's gettin stuck on them.
I don't see the word deville in this whole thing till u said it lol

oldstuff
06-20-14, 01:39 PM
With the cam sticking through the cover there is no way you can raise it enough to clear the plugs so you can move it endways. SHEESH!!The plugs sit in a tube that is cast into the cover.
Dave

I did not snap this shot, found it online... My cam covers just the same molding as the one pictured (pre2000)... Of course u need to pull out the plug wires, but the actual plugs set down that there's no way it's gettin stuck on them.
I don't see the word deville in this whole thing till u said it lol

arctic_man
06-20-14, 03:04 PM
I'm tryin to get my valve cover off of my 99 seville and everything is free besides when I go to lift it and slide the camshaft extension out it gets stuck and won't slide over the extension for the waterpump pulley

That one is a bit tricky. Do you have that gasket off on the end of cover? Remove that, it may give you a bit of extra room.

If I recall, when I took mine off, I lifted it up a tiny bit, then slid it over to remove it. There isn't much room to do it, as it is a tight fit, but I can assure you I did not have force anything. Kinda like a rubics cube, it will come off one way or the other with little force.

This post merged from identical thread.

Submariner409
06-20-14, 05:51 PM
ndl2s, Your identical cam cover question merged with your original thread on the same problem. Please do not post the same problems in two identical threads.

ndl2s
06-21-14, 01:37 AM
ndl2s, Your identical cam cover question merged with your original thread on the same problem. Please do not post the same problems in two identical threads.
Sorry won't do it again but honestly it solved my problem and now the cam coves off

----------

That one is a bit tricky. Do you have that gasket off on the end of cover? Remove that, it may give you a bit of extra room.

If I recall, when I took mine off, I lifted it up a tiny bit, then slid it over to remove it. There isn't much room to do it, as it is a tight fit, but I can assure you I did not have force anything. Kinda like a rubics cube, it will come off one way or the other with little force.

This post merged from identical thread.

All I had to do was unbolt the front motor mount and lift the motor a little came right off! Thanks for the reply

oldstuff
06-21-14, 10:59 AM
Yeh after you removed the sparkplugs.
Dave

Sorry won't do it again but honestly it solved my problem and now the cam coves off

----------

All I had to do was unbolt the front motor mount and lift the motor a little came right off! Thanks for the reply

ndl2s
06-22-14, 11:25 PM
Yeh after you removed the sparkplugs.
Dave
No!
"All I had to do was unbolt the front motor mount and lift the motor a little came right off! Thanks for the reply"