: 98 DeVille starting trouble. Help!

LADeville
10-02-05, 12:28 PM
It cranks, but it won't start for about 5 - 10 tries. It doesn't happen all the time and there doesn't seem to be any pattern. Sometimes it is when the engine is cold, sometimes it's when it is warm. I took it to my mechanic and he had no idea. Can anyone help? Also if anyone knows a good mechanic in the LA area that would be much appreciated too. Thanks!

mcowden
10-02-05, 12:39 PM
It cranks, but it won't start for about 5 - 10 tries. It doesn't happen all the time and there doesn't seem to be any pattern. Sometimes it is when the engine is cold, sometimes it's when it is warm. I took it to my mechanic and he had no idea. Can anyone help? Also if anyone knows a good mechanic in the LA area that would be much appreciated too. Thanks!

I would start by checking the fuel pressure regulator. (use the search feature above) Look for codes in the computer and post them here. (again, use the search feature) Clean the throttle body bore and blade with some carb cleaner and a rag. (use search) When you're done with the TB cleaning, disconnect the battery for about 60 seconds and reconnect to reset the learned data. Sounds like you need a new mechanic.