: Help Codes Driving Me Insane

ETC
11-30-03, 09:40 PM
My car is throwing up codes left and right. Im getting a PC1406, RS0038, and a IR1740. The PC1406 means EGR position sensor performance. Is my EGR cracked? What does that mean? My last two codes I cant find. Can anyone help me break down this madness? Thank you

mcowden
12-01-03, 02:14 PM
My car is throwing up codes left and right. Im getting a PC1406, RS0038, and a IR1740. What does that mean?
I'm not sure yet about the IR1740, but I can tell you that the RS0038 is a code for a short in the Electronic Level Control exhaust valve. Sometimes water gets through the air dryer and rusts the exhaust valve solenoid. That will usually cause a short and blow the fuse. The fuse is located in the trunk behind the back seat and is labeled ELC. If you put a new fuse in it while the problem is still happening, it will probably blow that one in a few seconds. The fix is to replace the ELC exhaust valve, which probably only comes as a complete pump assembly. The pump is located above the rear axle on the passenger side of the car on my '96 SLS. At last check, a new pump and dryer was about $500-$600 from a dealership, but you can probably find a better price on www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) or by checking with a salvage yard and telling them you need an Electronic Level Control pump for your year and model car. The pump and valve is the same from an Olds Aurora, and you'll just have to change over the mounting brackets to get it in there. I bought mine from a salvage yard for $100.

If I can find the IR1740 code, I'll post that one as well...

ETC
12-01-03, 05:43 PM
Thanks for your help. The EGR code does that mean my EGR is cracked? This car has given me nothing but fits since I bought it a year ago. Hoopefully when these problems get fixed it will be fine