: NGK Spark plugs & coolant level message - 2003 Deville

PaulGoldstraw
06-11-14, 08:58 PM
I'm looking at NGK V-Power (Part # 3951) from Advance Autoparts as replacements for my 2003 Deville I just bought. Are these good spark plugs for this engine?
Also - I'm getting a "Check coolant level" message. The level is fine so I'm thinking the sensor is clogged up and unable to detect properly - This happened on my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP because of the Dex-cool antifreeze clogging things up. How easy is it to drain the cooling system (ie. Is there a drain plug or is it done by disconnecting a radiator hose?) and are there any special procedures that need to be followed when refilling (like on the 3800 series 2 on the Grand Prix)?

Thanks for your help

Submariner409
06-12-14, 09:34 AM
Use AC Delco #41-987 Double Platinum plugs. For some reason the Northstar is finicky about what/which plugs it likes. Pictures and diagrams in my albums. Comunity tab ^^^, Albums, the red Seville.

www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com)

Cooling system drain/fill/purge line checks in Tech Tips and in here - lots of times. The system is a royal PITA to drain due to the inaccessible location of the drain plug in the bottom of the driver's side radiator end tank. Refill takes about 10 - 12 quarts of 50/50 coolant. Mix your own. Proper level is halfway full in the surge tank, cold only.

Sometimes the coolant level sensor magnetic float hangs up and can be freed with surge tank removal and soapy water agitation and good rinse. Other times it requires tank replacement. About $57, shipped.

Ranger
06-12-14, 10:21 AM
Dex doesn't clog anything up. It's simply a failing level sensor. No need to drain the system (unless you are due for a coolant change). Simply siphon the surge tank and then change it. Just did mine a few weeks ago.

eldoedwardo
06-26-14, 06:20 PM
radiator drains ARE a pain. I made mine a bit easier by using an old broom handle. cut it to approx.5-6 inches or
whatever works for you. take the cut end and cut a groove in it wide enough for the plug. use it for an extension.
If you are going to collect the coolant, don't bother use that time to find your garden hose. something square works also but don't be tempted to us a tool ,just your hand, not both.you'll see
Ed

Ranger
06-26-14, 08:36 PM
Made my first one out of dowel rod, but it broke so I made a nicer one.

maeng9981
06-27-14, 07:06 AM
Isn't it easier on a 03? I believe 03 has the 19mm plastic plug onthe bottom with an access hole.

Ranger
06-27-14, 10:07 AM
I believe you are correct.

98eldo32v
07-29-14, 04:07 PM
Dex doesn't clog anything up. It's simply a failing level sensor. No need to drain the system (unless you are due for a coolant change). Simply siphon the surge tank and then change it. Just did mine a few weeks ago.

Dexcool doesn't clog anything?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dexcool+brown+sludge&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=bP7XU4KlDceG8gHZ3YGwAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1180&bih=623

Submariner409
07-29-14, 05:21 PM
Nope - a properly maintained cooling system, using DEX-COOL, will stay absolutely squeaky clean. Here's two quarts, siphoned from my engine after 3.5 years. See anything to clog something ????? As of the picture date the engine was 10.8 years old and has never been opened up.

Old wives tales live on, perpetuated by misinformation and faults taken out of context ................. EVERY picture in that page is of a poorly maintained cooling system, and I'll bet the farm that a fair amount of those had some sort of magic potion dumped in also............... Notice that a right large percentage of the pictures show green coolant, as well as some of the Asian/Euro purple variants.

Properly maintained, DEX-COOL is a wonderful coolant. So is low-silicate green. So is MB coolant. So is Toyota. The key is properly maintained.

EDIT: Gearhead trick - very, very anal, warm, fuzzy: Every 4 months, during your normal weekly underhood checks, siphon out 2 quarts of coolant and replace it with newly mixed 50/50. That way, every year, you exchange 1.5 gallons of coolant, keep the additive package fresh, and never have to do a coolant flush/exchange.:sneaky:

Ranger
07-29-14, 09:52 PM
Dexcool doesn't clog anything?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dexcool+brown+sludge&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=bP7XU4KlDceG8gHZ3YGwAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1180&bih=623

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Most of those pictures are of sealant tab residue. If Dex did that we'd ALL be having problems. I have yet to have a problem with Dex-Cool.

98eldo32v
07-30-14, 12:51 AM
I know on maintained cars, the dexcool shouldn't be a problem.

Yet, how many people ACTUALLY maintain their cars.....that's when it turns into a problem

Submariner409
07-30-14, 06:35 AM
If a motor vehicle is not regularly checked and maintained, then problems like those seen in the coolant pictures are the fault of the owner, not the coolant. The car maker, dealership, local shop and product manufacturer have no control over ignorance and/or neglect. When all else fails, read the owner's manual (even as sanitized as they have become).

Tires wear out, cause a skid and maybe an accident. Tire's fault ? Brake pads wear out and score the rotors, causing a healthy repair bill. Brake pad's fault ? Spark plugs wear out, cause misses and poor gas mileage. Spark plug fault ?

Post #10 - true. Most times, by the time a qualified shop gets its hands on a motor vehicle problem the owner, believing the online and advertising hype, has compounded the problem with the addition of BandAids and snake oils. Now the shop has a REAL mess to clean up - labor time costs money.

As Pogo Possum once said: "We has seen the enemy and they is us !". Car owners today are almost totally uneducated about how to perform even the most rudimentary car maintenance. If the key turns and the engine starts, it's drivable. 99% of drivers wait for some sort of HELP !!! message to appear in the instrument panel before doing anything to/for a car, and then the message is the fault of the manufacturer, not the owner/driver. We actually have members in this worldwide fixit site that never check oil level until some warning lights up ! That is gross neglect.

Ranger
07-30-14, 09:46 AM

Yet, how many people ACTUALLY maintain their cars.....that's when it turns into a problem
So how can you blame Dex when there is a lack of maintenance? That's like never changing your oil and then blaming the motor oil when the engine has lubrication problems.

maeng9981
07-30-14, 10:04 AM
I replaced some 5-year-old Dex-Cool in our Chevy van back in 2012. The filler neck and the used coolant was clean as any other Dex using vehicles. And the van regularly went through some serious conditions like 125 degree weather through Death Valley with a full load of passenger and cargo with that old coolant.

04GrandAmGT
07-31-14, 10:36 AM

exactly, they ONLY time people get there cooling system checked is when they start having heat issues, Dex and Alum can get corrosive if never maintained, Me and Jake just did a 99 Eldo a couple months ago where there was chunks of alum missing(NOT the first time), nevermind all the ones we have seen where lets say the crossover seals were leaking 9/10 times there is pitting either on the block or on the crossover. i'm sure dex is fine if you keep up to it and actually change it every 3-5 years but who actually does that.... engine holds temp why should i flush the cooling system..

Ranger
07-31-14, 10:58 AM
Personally I would never let it go for 3-5 years. 2-3 is as long as I want to take it.

Submariner409
07-31-14, 11:10 AM
I firmly believe that GM - and others - created more problems than they solved by recommending a "long life" coolant change interval.

Ranger
08-01-14, 10:13 AM
Yup :yup:

drewsdeville
08-01-14, 11:44 AM
Any supportive evidence for the 5 year interval being too long? I've never witnessed problem by following GM's 5 year plan. I fail to see how doubling the frequency helps when there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the recommended.

Playing with the interval = fixing a problem that doesn't exist?

CF sneers at 3k mile oil changes, but supports slicing the coolant interval in half??? What's the difference?

97EldoCoupe
08-02-14, 10:56 PM
NGK spark plugs? I wouldn't put them in my lawn mower. Well my lawn mower had NGK, and it wouldn't start. Popped an old AC-Delco 41-950 Northstar plug in there and ran great.

I have heard of WAY too many problems and experienced those problems myself with NGK (more than once). Submariner409 has it right - AC-Delco factory replacements. You can't go wrong with those plugs.