: Non-Caddy question ... electrical?

lil2rich4u2
11-30-03, 02:34 AM
Hey gang, sorry to bother you with non cadilac questions, but i was hoping some of you will have some general GM knowledge and be willing to help.

Not even sure this is the right forum for this, but hopefully a mod will move it if its out of place.

91 olds cutlas ciera ....

check engine light comes on, when i check codes it comes up ... diagnostic code 43

the book says this is a faulty ESC (electronic spark control module)

Nornally id let it slide, but it is forcing the car to missfire alot, and its blowing through fuel, not to mention complete lack of power!

I bought the ESC, and on a hunch i assumed the module was just below the coil packs so i also bought 3 coils. Looking closer i see it is infact nowhere near the coils, and i cant find it!

The only other place GM is known for putting these modules (that i know of) is under the dash, behind the glove box, but it isnt there.

I purchased the chiltons book as well, didnt even list this module! It discussed it, but didnt go into detail as to where it is. I checked the schematics as well.

Now im assuming that this year/model didnt have an actual ESC module, which means that code 43 is generalized and must be affected by something else, but i dont know what!

Already did plugs. wires, coils. Not sure what else to check.

thanks so much if anyone can help.

Richie

PS .. new to board, hello everyone!

lil2rich4u2
11-30-03, 09:05 PM
anyone know a board i can ask for help on this issue?

thanks.

bob2231
11-30-03, 09:12 PM
anyone know a board i can ask for help on this issue?

thanks. Can you tell me what engine you have in your car ?

DaveSmed
11-30-03, 09:13 PM
3.1L V-6 In the 91's if I remember correctly. Now if I could only remember where that module was. http://60degreev6.com/ (http://60degreev6.com/) Might be able to help you out if we can't.

PS: Since those forums are not Caddy related, am I allowed to post a link? If not, could a mod edit this post? Thanks.

lil2rich4u2
11-30-03, 11:59 PM
im pretty sure its the 3.3 distributerless.

lil2rich4u2
12-02-03, 12:06 AM
:(

DaveSmed
12-02-03, 12:14 AM
It's listed as being behind the right side of the instrument panel.

lil2rich4u2
12-02-03, 07:36 PM
It's listed as being behind the right side of the instrument panel.

so you definately show it being in this year/make/model?

thanks so much BTW. Problem is driving me nuts since there is no power and its sucking up my fuel like crazy heh

DaveSmed
12-02-03, 08:50 PM
Yeppers. Forgot that the 3.3 was still used in 91. 92 got the 3.1

lil2rich4u2
12-02-03, 08:59 PM
Yeppers. Forgot that the 3.3 was still used in 91. 92 got the 3.1

so you show it listing for the 3.3 or the 3.1?

im pretty sure i have the 3.3

thanks so much

DaveSmed
12-02-03, 09:21 PM
91 3.3L V-6 VIN-N. Reread it, and it points to the ECM. That would mean that the ESC is integrated into the ECM. I will try and find an additional meaning for that code.

UPDATE: Found it! Code 43 is for the Knock sensor

lil2rich4u2
12-02-03, 09:30 PM
91 3.3L V-6 VIN-N. Reread it, and it points to the ECM. That would mean that the ESC is integrated into the ECM. I will try and find an additional meaning for that code.

UPDATE: Found it! Code 43 is for the Knock sensor

no way?

1. dont i have a seperate code for knock sensor?

2. why do they list it as ESC in chiltons?

3. would a knock sensor kill power and suck fuel?

Thanks so much for your efforts, if its an online site you can throw me a link and ill dig through myself .... unless ofcourse you dont mind helping out.

DaveSmed
12-02-03, 09:36 PM
1. Oddly enough, no.
2. Probably because it's functionality is related to what the ESC does.
3. No doubt. Do you by any chance have a timing light? I bet you will have a nice suprise once you see where your timing is. The knock sensor is probably retarding your timing as far back as it can go, due to fault of the sensor or wiring.

lil2rich4u2
12-02-03, 09:40 PM
1. Oddly enough, no.
2. Probably because it's functionality is related to what the ESC does.
3. No doubt. Do you by any chance have a timing light? I bet you will have a nice suprise once you see where your timing is. The knock sensor is probably retarding your timing as far back as it can go, due to fault of the sensor or wiring.

yes i have a timing light, will throw it on there maybe tomorrow if i can.

thanks SO much for the help, i was totally lost.

i will keep you posted!

lil2rich4u2
01-25-04, 01:30 AM
just to follow up, you were absolutely right!

it was a knock sensor and not an ESC module, my particular model/year didnt have an ESC module (just like you said!)

thanks so much ...

DaveSmed
01-25-04, 01:35 AM
Cool, Glad to hear it worked out!