: Oil Leak

Don73
09-27-05, 07:56 PM
I have a 2004 SRX with the V8. I noticed a few drops of oil on my garage floor, so I started looking around. It noticed that there seem to be fresh oil on the oil pan, but couldn't get under far enough to see the source, so I dropped it off at Cadillac. Called me at the end of the day, and said they replaced the front timing cover and gasket, per TSB 05-06-01-015. The tech that I spoke with told me that they had a new design for the timing cover. Just wanted to post this in case someone has an oily oil pan.

nstar
09-27-05, 08:44 PM
Yes I have 04 V8 AWD that had same leak they replaced cover as per service bulletin but is still leaking?:worship:

Xadion
09-27-05, 10:11 PM
if the northstars are like they where a few years ago- fixing a interal oil leak is a huge PITA- I wonder if the new 'redesigned' motor the SRX and other sigmas has this same...feature

Smokin' SRX
09-28-05, 10:32 AM
Hi! Had leak on mine also. They rre-sealed pan-gasket after putting a dye color in oil to see the source of the leak. It worked!

platinumsrx
09-28-05, 11:40 AM
Don73 & nstar -- not to spread any gloom and doom here, but I had a number of problems with oil leaks on my 04 AWD V8. Check threads "04 AWD V8 Oil Leaks,Chapter 5" (last entry 8/4/05) and "Oil Leak 04 AWD V8" (last entry 5/17/04). Finally discovered a porous block, small leak behind front timing cover. One poster mentioned a small number of blocks with this problem, another mentioned requesting a pressure test by the dealer. Cadillac replaced the engine in my 04, and ended up replacing the 04 with an 05 under a buy back. Hopefully neither one of you have this problem, just wanted you to be aware. Again, this is a worst case scenario...............

Scott

Bubba786
09-29-05, 04:16 PM
I have a 2004 V8 SRX and also had a small oil leak. They determined that I had a "pourous" block. That meant leaving the car at the dealer for a few days while they "pulled" the engine out and sealed the block. So far no further leaks. I just hope it lasts. Cadillac engineering at its best???