: Emissions Code on 1996 STS

bugger6543
11-29-03, 05:45 PM
I am a new user of the forum and could use some help on an emission problem.
My 96 STS shows the code of 1406. The check "emissions soon" will intermintently scroll across the console. I have recently replaced the plugs, fuel and air filters. The throttle body was also cleaned. Any suggestions what I should do next?

JimD
11-29-03, 06:35 PM
If that DTC is P1406, it translates to "P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit". Maybe the EGR valve connector is not seated properly?

Otherwise, the EGR valve could be crudded up and sticking. The pintle can be cleaned with a solvent such as GUMOUT. Be sure to NOT allow the GUMOUT inside the electrical (top) part of the valve; it will eat up the insulation on the coil wiring (not good).

Good luck.
Jim

hollisl
11-29-03, 09:10 PM
Check out: http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/howto/egrvalvecleaning.htm. I did this on my '04, easy cleaning job.

I am a new user of the forum and could use some help on an emission problem.
My 96 STS shows the code of 1406. The check "emissions soon" will intermintently scroll across the console. I have recently replaced the plugs, fuel and air filters. The throttle body was also cleaned. Any suggestions what I should do next?

bugger6543
11-30-03, 08:39 PM
Thanks to both of the responses to my question. I did check the connections today but did not have time to clean the egr valve. I will let you know if that solves my problem.

bugger6543
12-19-03, 10:39 PM
I did remove the egr valve and cleaned it. After the cleaning I installed a new gasket, cleared the codes, and hoped for the best. The car has been running well for two weeks with no trouble codes.

Thanks for all the help.

Bugger 6543