: Urgent! Need feedback, reward inside..

Andrew60SP
11-29-03, 04:32 PM
Hi Guys

I am in need of some feedback on what you guys think of this product. This is for a school marketing paper. I hope you donít mind Sal.

Itís a GPS device that, depending on the package you choose, can be for a car, person, pet, or another asset. The price would be no more then $30 per month. It would be fairly small, so could be hidden. It could be in the form of a watch, necklace, phone, etc. The location can be tracked online, and there would be a monitoring station to alert authorities if needed.

You can just respond Yes/No, or elaborate on conditions if you wish.

1) Would you buy this for yourself?

2) For your older child? Younger child? A feature would be an alert for when they leave a preset boundary.

3) Pet?

4) Elderly Parents? Boundary detection, falldown detection..

5) Car? Thieves wouldnít know you had it, and it works inside all buildings (unlike onstar). Could also track a loved one.

Thanks Guys!

Andrew60SP
11-29-03, 04:35 PM
As a token of my appreciation, here is a 1996 Cadillac Impressions Electronic Brochure, including comparisons, stats, and a crappy golf game.

Download Here (www.sfu.ca/~ajgee/cadimp.zip) (2.8MB)

Just unzip into a folder, and install.

Ralph
11-29-03, 07:18 PM
This type of technology is actually in use now through Pet Find and now Child Find, from what I've read. Go to the thread entitles "Onstar system beware" and you will see what I am talking about.

Personally, I am against it.

bob2231
11-29-03, 07:30 PM
Hi Guys

I am in need of some feedback on what you guys think of this product. This is for a school marketing paper. I hope you donít mind Sal.

Itís a GPS device that, depending on the package you choose, can be for a car, person, pet, or another asset. The price would be no more then $30 per month. It would be fairly small, so could be hidden. It could be in the form of a watch, necklace, phone, etc. The location can be tracked online, and there would be a monitoring station to alert authorities if needed.

You can just respond Yes/No, or elaborate on conditions if you wish.

2) For your older child? Younger child? A feature would be an alert for when they leave a preset boundary.

3) Pet?

4) Elderly Parents? Boundary detection, falldown detection..

5) Car? Thieves wouldnít know you had it, and it works inside all buildings (unlike onstar). Could also track a loved one.

Thanks Guys! Interesting concept. First, I'd be far more interested if I'm able to track through my PC rather than totally relying on a paid monitor to look for me. If I want to know where my child is, maybe I'm just nosy. Actually, an over protective Dad with a daughter in a sometimes scary world.
1) No interest for myself. I don't get lost and rarely travel anywhere anymore.
2)For my little one, probably so.
3) Our animals know they have it made. I can't even force them to stray.
4)Parents, maybe. I think it would be especially useful in a situation where a parent has alzheimer's though.
5)Cars. My cars aren't valuable enough to worry about it, but I can see that lots of people would like that. Poor man's lojack. However you spell that.
Bob

Andrew60SP
11-29-03, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Bob, the product would allow for you to log onto a website to check their location.
The monitoring station would just be for if one of the alerts were triggered, they would contact you, or the local authorities.

DaveSmed
11-29-03, 07:58 PM
Directed Electronics offers something similar to this, it ties in with thier car alarms. http://directed.com/

elwesso
11-29-03, 10:09 PM
1. No, I wouldnt buy something that I would use to track myself! Maybe if I was a famous person, though
2. Most likely yes, but what if they take it off??
3. No... Id keep a pet close enough by anyway..... My dad has a shock collar for our dog, and he wont go out of our neighborhood... You cant drag him across the street, he WONT go past a certain point..... Not a bad idea though
4. If the parent has alzheimers, yes.... However, if they did and didnt have full time care they'd be in a nursing home..... And if they did have full time care they wouldnt have a chance to get away.....
5. Maybe, but probably not...

davesdeville
11-29-03, 10:59 PM
Unless I'm frickin loaded I'm not paying $30 a month.

1. For me, I know where I am, if other people want to I have a cell.
2. Trojan God willing, I won't need to think about that for a good 10 years.
3. Nah, they have microchips if they're lost, but they know they have it made like bob said.
4. My parents are in their 50s, and they have cells too.
5. As for my car, it's too uncommon to be on the top of a thiefs list, but if it had a high risk I might consider it.

Andrew60SP
11-30-03, 05:25 PM
Great comments.

Thanks to all who replied. :worship:

Be sure to check out that brochure in the second post.

c5 rv
11-30-03, 05:59 PM
1 - Myself, no.

2 - younger child, maybe. Older children probably wouldn't be caught dead wearing something like this.

3 - Pet, good idea. Especially if you can carry a handheld device to find the wanderer

4 - Elderly, a good idea, especially those with memory problems. Again, I'd want an handheld device to find them if they get lost.

5 - Cars, would this be like a general-purpose lo jack? Not a bad idea. A hidden cellphone antenna would probably be needed. Thieves will soon figure out how to defeat the onstar type system.

JJhomer83
11-30-03, 06:19 PM

1) No way in hell i am parnoid of people following me and knowing where i am already, i don't need prof there out there.

2) Not at all i was raised to call my parents when i leave somewhere or when i go away for awhile. Still works. Honesty not electronics is parenting

3) Don't own any

4) NO i bought my grandmother a button that sends a page up to 10 cellphones or pagers.

5) I don't go near cities good idea but tooo extreme for me. I don't have an alarm i normally don't even lock my car.

powerglide
12-04-03, 02:36 AM
Its the Big Brother question right?

As mentioned, this pretty much exits already, I used to have it on my old cell phone. (old by Europe/Asian standards) it had a GPS thing and a navigator map software, always showed me where I was and others could be enabled to see my position if I allowed it. It was just a web-site short of what you're talking about right? I liked it sometimes when I wanted to meet someone and he or she can find me instantly etc. But the whole privacy thing was on my mind. Basically with all the electronics/camera's/databased all over the place these days, Big Brother is already here in full effect. Just by turning down a GPS product like this one does very little to enhance your privacy.....if you use credit cards, cell phones, internet, even EZ-pass.....anyone can find out your private info if they really wanted too. Maybe its a fatalistic view, but its too late to ward off big brother. I don't know if getting lojacks installed in our craniums is the answer, but no sense fighting these little creature comforts. Lets face it, we're gonna be living cash free and privacy free sooner or later...your activiies and transactions will just settle on a spreadsheet on some computer at the end of the day as Big Brother processes your days activities......(hey its 2:33 AM). That itch on the back of your neck is your hook up to the Matrix.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-04-03, 11:21 AM
not for myself right now (if i had a car with serious money in it , the unit would be mounted to the car)

i wouldnt buy it for anyone (or thing) else

Andrew60SP
12-04-03, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys, I finished the paper.

powerglide, what you're saying I can definitely see happening. And that scares the crap out of me.

powerglide
12-04-03, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys, I finished the paper.

powerglide, what you're saying I can definitely see happening. And that scares the crap out of me.

Yeah it is....glad I could pitch in.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-05-03, 08:22 AM
george orwells 1984 all over again ....