Cadillac Owners Forum banner

09 gauge cluster

8K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  toygar 
#1 ·
Will it work in my 07?

#18 ·
I checked with a reputable speedometer shop and was told that for the cluster to work properly it must be programmed with the vehicle vin, if not every time you start the vehicle you will get an error message. It is also questionable if the extra features will work. This will depend on of the BCM is providing the data to the cluster or not. As far as the mileage is concerned the speedometer service will program the actual mileage into the cluster at the same time they program the vin. (assuming you are using a new cluster)

I was not able to find out if the earlier Escalade's BCM's actually provide the Temp/Compass data to the newer cluster. Perhaps someone who has actually done this can fill us in.

#19 ·
The only thing you have to do is remove the the side ac vent and the plastic around cluster and take the bolts holding the cluster off unplug it from the back the have some shop program the miles my cluster i bought use for 160 If i ever listen to any shop about what custome things i could do to any car i owned i guess they would still be stock again asking a speedo shop that does nothing but replace or repair speedos if you can install one cluster from one car to another the answer will always be NOOO why because thats not what they do just like a dealership you would no go up to them to see if you could put bigger size wheels because they would say not to again is it possible yes

----------

On a side note when i first bought my use cluster i did pulg it and it work the only issue was it read the miles of the suv it came from. Another thing speedo shops will tell you not to buy use clusters so that way they can sell you "new ones" like the ones they buy and fix and zero the miles and resell as new to make killer profit . Nothing against them making profit against the people who dont inform themselfs.

#20 ·
I will stick to my 08 Cluster, I can look my mirror for compass and temp and I dont need to know my volts my battery light will tell me also my oil I never needed it if there is a problem a light will tell me. 2008 Cluster is the best looking if they can update the software on mines I would pay 300 for it but that is all I would do. To each is own.

#21 ·
Considering the confusion regarding the retrofit of the new cluster assembly into older Escalade I thought I would provide this post to help out those who are interested in making the swap and providing the facts.

First a couple of ground rules, A new cluster MUST BE programmed with the VIN of the vehicle you are swapping into, failure to do this will result in the cluster giving you a "PROGRAM CLUSTER" message every time you start up the vehicle. I took a brand new and un-programmed cluster and tried this myself! I then had it programmed with the VIN and bingo, no more errors.

Second, The cluster itself stores the mileage for the vehicle. If you take one from a salvage yard your Escalade will now show the mileage from that vehicle. You can send the replacement cluster out and have its mileage and VIN set to reflect your vehicles actual information.

The test vehicle was a full featured 2007 Escalade.
Features; the new cluster has the ability to display both a compass heading and outside temperature in addition to the mph. If you have an older Escalade (such as an 07) the BCM (body control module) does not provide that information to the cluster so you will not see any difference. It is possible on a later model (such as 08 and newer) that you may see the compass and temperature and perhaps some other info displayed but if you have an 07 your out of luck, you will gain nothing but the new look.

The installation, this is really less difficult then it appears and requires about an hour of effort. With the exception of the 2 screws and 1 bolt on the release lever all the trim pops off.

The process consists of:
in this order: Drivers fuse cover, drivers bottom knee bolster, console plate (cup holders and ashtray door) right, center and drivers side AC vent cover. Next put transmission selector and tilt the column all the way down to get access to the cluster. You might be able to remove the cluster with out removing every piece I mentioned but if you do it the way I did you can see all the clips and know the best place to pull on to pop them out.

Once all this is out of the way remove the cluster surround. It unpops from the bottom and the top will pull down under the dash cover. Next unscrew the old cluster, unplug the rear connector. Depress the tab to allow the gray lever to move back and the connector will pop out. and reverse the process for installing the new unit.

Aesthetics: The newer cluster instruments are surrounded by a silver reflective ring that some people have expressed their dislike to. Many prefer the older clusters that had hash marks surrounding gauges. But the new cluster with the reflective rings are deceptive because when the display is illuminated (key on and in service) these rings become almost translucent and display white hash marks much like the earlier cluster. (see comparison pictures). The metal face that surrounds the gauges has a slighly lighter brushed look.

Some have said the new cluster is brighter then the old one. Personally I did not notice any difference in brightness. Perhaps this was because the old cluster was fully functional and like new.

Cost and final analysis: There are many vendors selling the newer clusters, if you buy a new one more then likely the cost will include the cost of programming which actually make a new cluster a better value then perhaps purchasing one from a salvage yard. Another consideration is the fact a junk yard cluster will need to be sent in for reprogramming (and maybe other service) if you want all the correct information in your replacement cluster (not to mention being in compliance of federal odometer laws).

Now you need to ask yourself the question was it worth the effort. What I would say to this is, it all comes down to taste, if you prefer the look of the new cluster or you have a problem with your old one then yes. If you are doing it for the extra display items then this only pays off if your Escalade is new enough to actually provide the data to display, otherwise you won’t see it. Total Cost of this particular project, new cluster, programming, shipping: $350.00. You could also drop this price another $100.00 if you use a rebuilt new style cluster.

Happy Wrenching!
Dan

Car Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Auto part
Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Car Auto part

#22 ·
Thanks for taking your time and writing all this man.

Considering the confusion regarding the retrofit of the new cluster assembly into older Escalade I thought I would provide this post to help out those who are interested in making the swap and providing the facts.

First a couple of ground rules, A new cluster MUST BE programmed with the VIN of the vehicle you are swapping into, failure to do this will result in the cluster giving you a "PROGRAM CLUSTER" message every time you start up the vehicle. I took a brand new and un-programmed cluster and tried this myself! I then had it programmed with the VIN and bingo, no more errors.

Second, The cluster itself stores the mileage for the vehicle. If you take one from a salvage yard your Escalade will now show the mileage from that vehicle. You can send the replacement cluster out and have its mileage and VIN set to reflect your vehicles actual information.

The test vehicle was a full featured 2007 Escalade.
Features; the new cluster has the ability to display both a compass heading and outside temperature in addition to the mph. If you have an older Escalade (such as an 07) the BCM (body control module) does not provide that information to the cluster so you will not see any difference. It is possible on a later model (such as 08 and newer) that you may see the compass and temperature and perhaps some other info displayed but if you have an 07 your out of luck, you will gain nothing but the new look.

The installation, this is really less difficult then it appears and requires about an hour of effort. With the exception of the 2 screws and 1 bolt on the release lever all the trim pops off.

The process consists of:
in this order: Drivers fuse cover, drivers bottom knee bolster, console plate (cup holders and ashtray door) right, center and drivers side AC vent cover. Next put transmission selector and tilt the column all the way down to get access to the cluster. You might be able to remove the cluster with out removing every piece I mentioned but if you do it the way I did you can see all the clips and know the best place to pull on to pop them out.

Once all this is out of the way remove the cluster surround. It unpops from the bottom and the top will pull down under the dash cover. Next unscrew the old cluster, unplug the rear connector. Depress the tab to allow the gray lever to move back and the connector will pop out. and reverse the process for installing the new unit.

Aesthetics: The newer cluster instruments are surrounded by a silver reflective ring that some people have expressed their dislike to. Many prefer the older clusters that had hash marks surrounding gauges. But the new cluster with the reflective rings are deceptive because when the display is illuminated (key on and in service) these rings become almost translucent and display white hash marks much like the earlier cluster. (see comparison pictures). The metal face that surrounds the gauges has a slighly lighter brushed look.

Some have said the new cluster is brighter then the old one. Personally I did not notice any difference in brightness. Perhaps this was because the old cluster was fully functional and like new.

Cost and final analysis: There are many vendors selling the newer clusters, if you buy a new one more then likely the cost will include the cost of programming which actually make a new cluster a better value then perhaps purchasing one from a salvage yard. Another consideration is the fact a junk yard cluster will need to be sent in for reprogramming (and maybe other service) if you want all the correct information in your replacement cluster (not to mention being in compliance of federal odometer laws).

Now you need to ask yourself the question was it worth the effort. What I would say to this is, it all comes down to taste, if you prefer the look of the new cluster or you have a problem with your old one then yes. If you are doing it for the extra display items then this only pays off if your Escalade is new enough to actually provide the data to display, otherwise you won’t see it. Total Cost of this particular project, new cluster, programming, shipping: $350.00. You could also drop this price another $100.00 if you use a rebuilt new style cluster.

Happy Wrenching!
Dan

View attachment 225882 View attachment 225890

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.