: Kill: M3 on the highway

Redline
09-26-05, 02:13 PM
Funny, I gave my brother his first ride in the V this weekend. He's a BMW 330 owner & could not believe the power we put down and carve through corners. This car just plain surprise (scares?) people.

So Bimmers were on my mind when today I'm coming down Veteran Expy pacing in the middle lane when a burnt red M3 charges on the a$# of the car next to me. He slowly pushes him ahead, and I jumped pretty quickly behind. Pacing close enough to push, I could tell he was ready. When the Sentra (who drives those things, really?) merged out of the way coming into a high-speed left corner, he hit it & I was ready: low 60's mph in 3rd gear. I swear I felt like I was going to run over him -- changed back to the middle lane which in the corner is outside & was at his passanger door when I hit 4th. However, there was a great amount of traffic up ahead, so I let off. He, of course, did the cut & dart @ 100 mph across three lanes. A#%. I'd guess I made up about 3 car lengths between 65-95 mph to get to his door.

What I was surprised by: 1) I really thought those M3's were faster; 2) We're going thru a left sweeper, and I hear HIS tires squeling -- the run-flats were rock solid. Nice.

Good way to start the week...

alcast082
09-26-05, 05:44 PM
Nice, i'm sure you would have been able to take him.
They have an advantage from the start, with thicker tires they are able to grip and get better starts.

willsctsv
09-26-05, 06:56 PM
the M3 kills are nice. Those cars have no torque. So when you hit the gas in third at 60 mph, you can pull harder. Those M's have to rev very high to wring out the power.
By the time they start wringing your 3 car lengths ahead and grabbing another gear.

Gotta love a V8!

DrivingAmericanNow
09-26-05, 07:02 PM
Nice work! Any idea what year the M3 was?

The older M3's are weak. A friend of mine has a 1999 and it's not even close to the V. Not sure what year BMW changed to the newer version with the gills on the front fenders and the 333 horse, but those are sure to be tougher. Do you know if it was an older or newer version?

Vrocks
09-26-05, 08:15 PM
Nice work! Any idea what year the M3 was?

The older M3's are weak. A friend of mine has a 1999 and it's not even close to the V. Not sure what year BMW changed to the newer version with the gills on the front fenders and the 333 horse, but those are sure to be tougher. Do you know if it was an older or newer version?
Yeah, I came across a '99 version and it really isn't a race. Against the current one it's much closer but they'll lose every time if we don't screw up.

Nice kill

Seattle CTS-V
09-27-05, 12:55 AM
There really is no contest in a typical race - the V should win every time. However, on a tight track with a bunch of turns the V's weight really starts to show and the M3 can carry the turn with more speed. No worries though - we get it back on the straights!

CTSV05
09-27-05, 07:34 AM
Nice Kill.

It seems bmw losers are the worst tho.

Redline
09-27-05, 09:01 AM
It was a newer model but not the Imola red of this year -- itwas def the 333 hp M-series (I'm a car guy at heart)... Sitting in the right gear just waiting for him to hit it. I wouldn't want to run a roadcourse against one, but I was really surprised to hear is tire's pushing & the V was stuck like glue.

willsctsv
09-27-05, 04:50 PM
Redline, See those runflats aren't that bad after all. Just suck for burnouts and 1-2 shifts.