: anyone read Grassroots Motorsports mag.. special on the SCCA WC GTO..list of parts

kimcheejeegae
09-26-05, 12:28 AM
are listed on page 76 of the October 2005 issue... volume 22 Number 6.

Driver: Stu Hayner
Car: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Class: SCCA Speed World Challenge GT
Engine: GM LS2
Displacement: 6.0L
Output: 530 hp
Camshaft: GM Part No. 88958606 <----- can this be used in our LS6
Connecting Rods: Dyer's
Crankshaft: Lunati
Cylinder Heads: GM Part No. 88958622 <--- can this be used in our LS6
Engine Management: GM
Exhaust: custom
Rev Limiter: 7400 RPM
Ignition Wires: MSD
Injectors: GM 32 lb/hr injectors
Intake System: GM LS2
Lines and fittings: BMRS hoses, Aeroquip fittings
Oil: Mobil 1 10W30
Oil Cooler: custom oil to water
Oil Filter: Fram HP-1
Oil Pan: Dailey Engineering Billet
Pistons: Mahle
Clutch: Tilton 5.5in carbon/carbon
Differential Lube: Royal Purple
Differential Type/gears: Torsen 4.11:1
Flywheel: Tilton
Shifter: Custom fabricated
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Transmission Fluid: Mobil 1
Other Driveline mods: 1 piece Aluminum driveshaft

Here's the Vehicle Technical Specification from the SCCA world challenge website:

SCCA WORLD CHALLENGE GTO VEHICLE SPECS (http://www.speedvisionwc.com/competitors/vts/05-vts-pontiac-gto-draft.pdf)

SCCA WORLD CHALLENGE CTS-V VEHICLE SPECS (http://www.speedvisionwc.com/competitors/vts/05-vts-cadillac-ctsv-rev1.pdf)

SCCA WORLD CHALLENGE Z06 VEHICLE SPECS (http://www.speedvisionwc.com/competitors/vts/05-vts-chevrolet-corvette-zo6.pdf)

ace996
09-26-05, 01:00 AM
Royal Purple diff lube...I love it.

Florian
09-26-05, 10:05 AM
Interesting that the rev limiter is set to 7400rpm. I read an article (see the faq) that stated there is valve float between 6800 and 7000 rpm and the engineers wouldnt recommend running above 7000r's. Maybe the rest of the internals solve the float, but Id be cautious.

F

CVP33
09-26-05, 08:36 PM
Good catch F. My guess is the cylinder heads come complete with better valve springs to handle the higher lift, longer duration and higher rev's. Just a guess, but with the Nascar boys safely reving over 8,000 I think there's room. As for us stock boys, we're better off around 6,900.

Naf
09-12-07, 08:03 AM
Just incase someone comes across this, valve float will only accur if you dont have the right valvetrain combo...

A nice cam with the right springs, roller rockers, titanuim retainers, and light valves can rev that engine till they go blue from it...I have seen a normal four cylinder engine rev well past 8,000 rpm. Our engines are no differnent if you shave off the weight...

pietroraimondi
09-12-07, 10:41 AM
The cylinder heads that you are referring to are the Corvette series GM Racing Show Room Stock Racing heads. The castings are manufactured by GM and sent to Lingenfelter for CNC porting and polishing.

Those cylinder heads stock out of the box are complete with the ZO6 hollowed stem sodium filled valves. Lingenfelter will also hand sand all of the CNC tooling marks as well for increased performance.

Cost for those cylinder heads is approximately $2100
Cost for the spring set and titanium locks - 900
Cost for the Lingenfelter LS1-11 cam - 400
Cost for Head Gasket set - 150
Cost for chrome-moly HD pushrods 150

Total Investment: $3700

This set-up is good for approximately 100 horsepower at the crank on the LS6

I had this package before I sold my CTSV in May and this is perhaps the best bang for the horsepower dollar.

Naf
09-16-07, 06:47 AM
The cylinder heads that you are referring to are the Corvette series GM Racing Show Room Stock Racing heads. The castings are manufactured by GM and sent to Lingenfelter for CNC porting and polishing.

Those cylinder heads stock out of the box are complete with the ZO6 hollowed stem sodium filled valves. Lingenfelter will also hand sand all of the CNC tooling marks as well for increased performance.

Cost for those cylinder heads is approximately $2100
Cost for the spring set and titanium locks - 900
Cost for the Lingenfelter LS1-11 cam - 400
Cost for Head Gasket set - 150
Cost for chrome-moly HD pushrods 150

Total Investment: $3700

This set-up is good for approximately 100 horsepower at the crank on the LS6

I had this package before I sold my CTSV in May and this is perhaps the best bang for the horsepower dollar.

Exactly, the higher compression mixed in with about 200 more rpm, and you have a nice setup....
I am followin a similar root, but going for a bit more lift and a 117LSA

I dont want the other guy to think i did anything to the internals...

But now Tunin will be an issue for me...If only GM had packages with average Tunes available....

pietroraimondi
09-16-07, 08:44 AM
Exactly, the higher compression mixed in with about 200 more rpm, and you have a nice setup....
I am followin a similar root, but going for a bit more lift and a 117LSA

I dont want the other guy to think i did anything to the internals...

But now Tunin will be an issue for me...If only GM had packages with average Tunes available....

You'll have to measure for distance and cut the pushrods to length as you need to take into account valve clearance, float etc.

But as I outlined below....that $3700 set-up will provide you with a solid 100-110 BHP increase at the flywheel.

Add back in the Lingenfelter CAI and a set of B&B long tube headers, high flow cats and exhaust system....the total set-up will add 100-105 horsepower at the rear wheels with a good tune.

The beauty is that it is all naturally aspirated and doesn't put the stress on the top end of that engine as the Maggie does IMO and gives you closely the same amount of RWHP for considerably less money.

It's a very stealth way of adding another 100 RWHP to the CTSV without worring about pulling into the dealership and getting into a wrestling match over warranty work when they see a blower sitting on top of the intake.

Just my two cents.

AAIIIC
09-17-07, 02:03 PM
Oil Cooler: custom oil to water
Interesting that they're using an oil-to-water cooler. I'm accustomed to road race prepped cars using oil-to-air coolers. I wonder why they went with the oil-to-water? Maybe not enough front end space to smoothly route air to a separate oil cooler, so they just went with a BFR (big effing radiator) and an oil-to-water cooler?

Oil Filter: Fram HP-1
Oh n0es, not teh Fram filtar!!!1!one :rolleyes:

Just a guess, but with the Nascar boys safely reving over 8,000 I think there's room.
I love seeing the telemetry during races these days. They're spinning nearly 10,000rpm at some tracks!!

It's a very stealth way of adding another 100 RWHP to the CTSV without worring about pulling into the dealership and getting into a wrestling match over warranty work when they see a blower sitting on top of the intake.
Having not seen/heard one of these setups, I would think the cam would have a lot more idle "lope" to it than the stocker, which would be as much of a dead give-away as the Maggie on the engine. Is the cam not all that aggressive?

+100rwhp while staying N/A would be pretty badass!