: GM - May we have this 6.2L engine (or the LS7) in the V?

StealthV
09-25-05, 04:46 PM
A new variation of the LS2 in a 6.2L displacment is available in the next gen of SUVs coming soon this year. With a little more aggressive calibration and/or camshaft, it would make a worthy LS6 replacement for the V if we can't have the LS7. :)

Gleaned from gminsidenews.com....

6.2L aluminum block (L92) with variable valve timing, capable of 380 to 400 horsepower (283 to 298 kw)

The high-performance 6.2L L92 uses a forged steel crankshaft.

The block for the 6.2L engine features a crankcase “windows” – vents that help improve bay-to-bay breathing. This reduces pumping losses and supports the high horsepower output of the high-performance engine. A new, 58X ignition system and a more powerful, E38 ECM are integrated on all engines.

The 58X ignition system uses a unique crankshaft wheel and sensors to provide the new, 32-bit E38 ECM with more immediate information on the crankshaft’s position during rotation. In turn, this allows the controller to adjust ignition timing with greater precision, which optimizes performance and economy. Engine starting also is more consistent.

Variable valve timing (VVT) is a standard feature on 6.2L engines; it helps optimize camshaft timing to improve low-rpm torque and high-rpm horsepower. The introduction of variable valve timing through the unique dual-equal cam phaser is the industry’s first application of VVT on a mass-produced V-8 cam-in-block engine. The unique dual-equal phaser adjusts the camshaft timing at the same rate for both the intake and exhaust valves.

The system incorporates a vane-type camshaft phaser that changes the angular orientation of the camshaft, thereby adjusting the timing of the intake and exhaust valves to optimize performance and economy, and help lower emissions. It offers infinitely variable valve timing in relation to the crankshaft. The cam phaser vane is attached to the camshaft on the front journal. As driving conditions warrant, the cam phaser system can reduce ignition timing at higher rpm levels to increase power. At lower rpm levels, torque is enhanced with increased timing.

This cam phaser feature was pioneered by GM and introduced on the new 3.5L and 3.9L V-6 engines in 2005 – a first for the use of variable valve timing on a cam-in-block engine design. As driving conditions warrant, the cam phasing system can reduce ignition timing at higher rpm levels to increase power. At lower rpm levels, torque is enhanced with increased timing.

Precise camshaft timing is the key to the variable valve timing system’s capability to optimize performance. Like the 58X ignition system, cam phasing is directed by the E38 ECM. It relies on data from a camshaft position sensor – a target ring with four equally spaced segments – that communicates the camshaft’s position quicker and more accurately than previous systems that used just a single segment. Also, a leaf spring-type tensioner is used on the timing chain to ensure precise tension.

The 6.2L engine offers a significant power level increase compared with previous premium engines, with much of the newfound power coming from high-flow aluminum cylinder heads. The heads are based on the racing-derived cylinder heads of the Corvette Z06’s LS7 7.0L engine, including a unique inlet port shape and offset rocker arm design. Airflow of the heads is supported by large 55-mm-diameter intake valves and 40.4-mm-diamter exhaust valves.

“The heads use the high-performance technology of the Corvette’s LS7 to build efficient power in truck engines,” said Meagher.

All Gen IV small-block Vortec V-8 engines are designed for quieter operation, including:

* Special friction-reducing coating on piston skirts
* Full floating piston pins
* Damping patch on the oil pan (externally mounted)
* Timing chain tensioner
* Quieter alternator

Backing the new engines’ quietness is the assurance of long-lasting performance. The new Gen IV engines were validated under extreme conditions, with dynamometer testing equivalent to 150,000 miles. The Vortec 6.0L iron block heavy-duty engine was tested the equivalent of 200,000 miles.

Some of the stringent durability testing included cycling engines between the peak torque and peak horsepower rpm points – the equivalent of towing a heavy trailer up a steep grade – for 600 straight hours.

The engines also feature many long-life engine components that can reduce maintenance intervals and costs. The iridium-tip spark plugs, engine coolant, accessory drive belt and sealing gaskets are some of these items. Also, a revised water pump design (introduced on late Gen III V-8s) has improved sealing for increased durability.

V-Love
09-25-05, 07:35 PM
ANY change would be welcomed by me! (Please LS-7...Please LS-7....)

1MEANV
09-25-05, 08:04 PM
if everyone wants a different motor so bad. christ, build one and drop it in. problem solved. that simple

DarkKnight
09-25-05, 08:09 PM
Rick,
That would be a great motor for the next gen V. For now your tune has made my V a whole lot more fun in the meantime.
Frank.;)

09-25-05, 08:32 PM
I have the Mercruiser 6.2L engine, rated at 320 crankshaft hp, in my boat. Merc buys the 5.7L blocks from GM, then tossed out the crank, pistons, and rods, and replace everything with innards that increase stroke from 3.48" to 3.75 inches. They add stronger pistons to make up for the increased piston speed, and make other mods as needed. This is a recreational version of their "Black Scorpion" racing engine....and for numerous reasons (including not wanting to cannibalize sales of Merc's 8.1L big blocks), they only "need" 320 hp out of it.

It's a nice running rig, smooth at all rpms, and lots of guys run em all day long at 4000 rpm. With the exhaust cutouts open, the thing sounds it's it's got a high duration cam at idle...

I wonder how much, if any, of the design of the engine mentioned in your post is "inspired" by the mercruiser engine programs. Merc and GM have played nicely together for years regarding engine development and racing programs.

D

StealthV
09-25-05, 08:32 PM
if everyone wants a different motor so bad. christ, build one and drop it in. problem solved. that simple

It's not that simple. If it were, one could have bought a V6 CTS, saved $10k and spent it on a new engine.

Personally, I don't want to spend $50k + on a new V again and get a LS2. With the right engine choice by GM, there will be a new V in my garage. Repowering my current V with a different engine is not in my future; I want a completely new car again.

The 6.2L, with its premium features, would be a better fit for the 2006+ V than the plebeian LS2. That simple. :duck:

Drift-caddy
09-25-05, 09:48 PM
It's not that simple. If it were, one could have bought a V6 CTS, saved $10k and spent it on a new engine.

Personally, I don't want to spend $50k + on a new V again and get a LS2. With the right engine choice by GM, there will be a new V in my garage. Repowering my current V with a different engine is not in my future; I want a completely new car again.

The 6.2L, with its premium features, would be a better fit for the 2006+ V than the plebeian LS2. That simple. :duck:

and when you need it tunned just give us a call.:lildevil: :lildevil: j/k

Slywun
09-25-05, 10:04 PM
While we're at it, a better shifter would be nice too!

alcast082
09-26-05, 12:23 AM
stealth, shoot me an email at alcast082@msn.com
I am interested in the tune but haven't been able to get an email to you.
Tried different email addys but I always get them back saying there is no such address.
thanks

Warez
09-26-05, 01:03 AM
Sounds interesting.

btlfed1500
09-26-05, 03:56 AM
Plan to see a new 6.0L iron block and possbily a 6.2 HO option in the GMT900 (2007+ platmform GM trucks) 5.3L get pumped up along with the 4.8 and 4.3L dissapears for the new 4.2L

New stuff coming soon but trucks are first.

Florian
09-26-05, 09:54 AM
Btl,

I concur with your findings. I supply the automotive market and their Tier 1 and 2 suppliers. I have heard that the line tooling change overs will begin in the next few months for next years offerings.

F

btlfed1500
09-26-05, 11:18 AM
I work with several of the GM design groups (here in Burbank CA and in Detroit MI) with new projects and show concept vehicles. When you get to see that it takes litterally two years to ramp up for full production it really makes you think ...

StealthV
09-26-05, 01:24 PM
stealth, shoot me an email at alcast082@msn.com
I am interested in the tune but haven't been able to get an email to you.
Tried different email addys but I always get them back saying there is no such address.
thanks

When I'm back at my desk I will. In the mean time, all the email addresses on the website are correct. http://www.stealthv.com

and when you need it tunned just give us a call. j/k

No thank you. :)

Barak
09-26-05, 02:02 PM
the cam phaser system can reduce ignition timing at higher rpm levels to increase power.

Did anyone catch that? That is one brilliant insider.

There is something so nice about having a luxury car with such a brutish engine. Adding VVT will take away some of that mystique. Say goodbye to our rough idle.

RobzBLKV
09-26-05, 03:11 PM
Did anyone catch that? That is one brilliant insider.

There is something so nice about having a luxury car with such a brutish engine. Adding VVT will take away some of that mystique. Say goodbye to our rough idle.

Probably true, but you can't argue with the performance benefits it could bring. On the other hand, I like the performance benefits of the "simple" engine we have now.

jimbo1320
09-26-05, 09:43 PM
StealthV, I agree with you wholehardedly. A new V is not in the plans for me if we don't get more muscle. The other day I was entering a parking lot to purchase some lawn stuff and a red 06 vette cot my eye. Further examination told me It was Yep ! a Z06. I went over for a closer look noticing how great they look in real life.The photos don't do them justice. The owner happen to be cleaning it up to show some clients he was meeting with. We had a brief but informative conversation. The fellow works for GM in quality control, though his personal vehicle it was a test Mule for GM. I'm getting to my point, hang in there. In conversation I rendered my dissatisfaction of GM putting the LS2 in the V, though hopping for a better future by dropping the LS7 in. That idea was fast deminished when he suggested demand would be to great to drop the LS7 in the V. The 7000 production figure for the Z06 this year was not going to be met. Add the "V" taking engines would only exaserbate the problem. Oh well ! it was a nice dream.

Art138
09-26-05, 10:06 PM

Not that simple; for the price of dropping one in and the grief don't you think most of us would consider just buying the Z06 lol.

Florian
09-26-05, 10:16 PM
In conversation I rendered my dissatisfaction of GM putting the LS2 in the V, though hopping for a better future by dropping the LS7 in. That idea was fast deminished when he suggested demand would be to great to drop the LS7 in the V. The 7000 production figure for the Z06 this year was not going to be met. Add the "V" taking engines would only exaserbate the problem. Oh well ! it was a nice dream.

Jimbo,

Am I missing something here? You mention that the demand for the Z06 isnt going to be met, yet adding the LS7 to the V would only exascerbate *sic* the problem. Seems to me that if they wont make the number of Z06s as expceted, theyd have left over (actually extra capacity) motors for the V.

F

urbanski
09-26-05, 10:19 PM
Jimbo,

Am I missing something here? You mention that the demand for the Z06 isnt going to be met, yet adding the LS7 to the V would only exascerbate *sic* the problem. Seems to me that if they wont make the number of Z06s as expceted, theyd have left over (actually extra capacity) motors for the V.

F
i read it as they can't make enough LS7s
:F

(we need a :F smilie :D)

Florian
09-26-05, 10:50 PM
tickle me in the right places and Ill give ya an F smilie!

F

Mark VerMurlen
09-26-05, 11:45 PM
I don't understand why people don't like the LS2 in the V. It has the same horse power as the LS6 but it has more torque at the lower RPMs. According to the article in the first post, the 6.2L doesn't have any more power, so why is it any better than the LS2?

Now putting the LS7 in the V would be the ultimate.

- Mark

jimbo1320
09-27-05, 03:30 AM
The LS2 isn't the problem. Its the 400 horses it produces, same engine in the GTO,SSR,Vette. Don't you think the top of the GM food chain deserves something special? And I'm not talking superchargers. They did it for the Vette. The LS7 is hand made therefor slowing up production on the ZO6. I'm sure GM will be able to produce more engines as time moves on. But double the amount they are allecating for now? 7000 ZO6's per year. Hope that explains the situation better.

CTSV05
09-27-05, 08:55 AM
I understood completely.

If they can't build the LS7 fast enuf to satisfy the Z06, then adding demand to an already overtaxed production dept. would only make for more disappointment.

Now as for the LS2, if you are flagging a model as your top of the line performance sedan, then the powerplant should also match the level of cost you are demanding for such a vehicle. Unless the CTS V will become redheaded stepchild to the STS V.

If I can buy say, a TrailblazerSS with the same powerplant for 10K less, granted its a different vehicle, but my point is what then sets a car like the V apart?

For now, its been the fact that the only other car with our drivetrain is the top of the line Corvette, good company I say.

But if EVERY "performance" vehicle has the same engine, I can certainly no longer see the specialness of the V.

Mark VerMurlen
09-27-05, 10:45 AM
The specialness of the V is in the total package. The engine alone doesn't make the car. Its the style, engine, handling, accessories, and overall performance that makes the V special. GM has shared engines for years across different cars and price points. The number 1 example is the Corvette and Camaro/Firebird. The Corvette cost almost twice as much as the Camaro but had the same engine. Sure, some Corvette people grumbled about the LT1 and then LS1 being used in the "lesser" car. But it was the total package that set the Corvette apart from the Camaro.

I think if you ask Cadillac, the CTS V is not going to remain their premium performance car. Its going to be the STS V and XLR V. However, these 3 cars are all going to have distinctly different personalities that appeal to different people. I don't think they're going to compete with one another for that reason.

Same is true for the SSR, GTO, Trailblazer SS. These vehicles don't compete with the V.

If you're looking for bragging rights, get a 2006 Corvette Z06 and then lobby GM to keep the LS7 out of any other car.

- Mark

RobzBLKV
09-27-05, 03:57 PM
You sure that 7000 Z06's isn't for reasons other than an engine bottle neck? Like that's how many they think they can sell? Or maybe that's the number they have come up with that allows the car to still be considered a halo car for marketing purposes.

tedcmiller
09-28-05, 09:50 AM
It is my guess that the statement regarding the sales of Z06s not meeting targets was meant to imply that a V with the LS7 would exacerbate (note the correct spelling) the problem of Z06 sales, not that it would impact the availability of LS7 engines.