: brake pads..

SBONES
09-25-05, 11:55 AM
who makes the best ones...who here has tried differant ones...i need pads to go with the new rotors i got last week...someone said put my old ones on...is that true or smoke...:hmm:

markbinkc
09-25-05, 12:20 PM
who makes the best ones...who here has tried differant ones...i need pads to go with the new rotors i got last week...someone said put my old ones on...is that true or smoke...:hmm:

I just put my new rotors on yesterday, and I got the hawk performance street pads. I know someone said not to change to new pads, but everywhere I called, including the dealership, said that the pads should be changed as well. I figure, when the car comes brand new, it has new pads and rotors then, so why not now?

Mark

vetteboy2k
09-25-05, 12:43 PM
I should have some ceramic dustless pads available soon at a great price. Nationwide warranty. A great strret pad. I will have details on monday, tuesday the latest.

SBONES
09-25-05, 03:36 PM
did u get the new drilled rotors....if so were they silver...cause mine are...they make hawk street and hp+ what ever that is...

markbinkc
09-25-05, 04:08 PM
did u get the new drilled rotors....if so were they silver...cause mine are...they make hawk street and hp+ what ever that is...

Yes, I got the cross-drilled ones. I got the ones that are the street pads from tire rack. I've heard the others squeak really bad. Mine came all the same color (like a painted silver that you see on the cadillac accessories brochure), but the braking surface is beginning to get streaked and shiny, like the stockers.

Mark

SBONES
09-25-05, 08:51 PM
cool, i was sweating for alittle bit...thought they werent the right ones...i need to get brake pads...then do the install..

cts-v ls6
09-25-05, 09:18 PM
What's the best way on a V to tell when you need new pads? Or need to have the rotors turned? Do we have a spring that gives the scraping noise on our V's? Or do we just decide we're not getting enough stopping power and do the changeout?

Dreamin
09-25-05, 09:27 PM
I just put my new rotors on yesterday, and I got the hawk performance street pads. I know someone said not to change to new pads, but everywhere I called, including the dealership, said that the pads should be changed as well. I figure, when the car comes brand new, it has new pads and rotors then, so why not now?
MarkThere is no problem with changing pads when you get new rotors, it's just not needed, it's a waste of money. The old pads are fine, by the time the rotors break-in, the pads will be contoured to the surface of the new rotor...

Of course if you ask anyone who sells pads (dealer, brake shop)... they will say "OMG! You have to change the pads!"... like asking "oil changers" how often to change your oil... "OMG 3000 miles! at 3001 miles the engine will explode!!" ;)

One reason not to change the pads and rotors at the same time is that the new rotors get "seasoned" or break in slower and easier with the old pads... thus reducing the chances of warping your new rotors... but that's more of an issues for race use, not too much for a street car.