: A whine that may not be the rear end

ctsvett
09-25-05, 04:00 AM
Guys,
I had a whine appear the other day. Seemed like it could be the rear, but I listened closely and it was coming from the front of the car. It turns out that there is a PI (preliminary bulletin) on a whine caused by the water pump. (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/)

This whine can easily be mistaken for the rear so be careful. Mine goes in to the shop for this in a week or two (after the socal modfest).

Reed

09-25-05, 08:02 AM
Reed:

Do you know if this is the coolant "harmonic" noise that was discussed last year, and where there was a funky but unofficial "plumbing" fix posted on the FAQ? I think one of the GM bulletins had originally said that there was no fix and that repairs should not be attempted?

I have this noise, and have had it since day 1. It certainly does sound like a rear end whine until I determined that it is RPM dependent not speed dependent. I'm not sure, in my case, if it is obtrusive enough to have the front of the engine torn apart for a water pump swap. I've heard that in some cars it is much worse, though.

ctsvett
09-25-05, 02:19 PM
Don think so.. You are referring to the "pipe" basicallly being a piece of metal and causing a harmonic? This PI sounds more like a thermosat/ water pump deal.

Actually i am not sure, but just wanted to let everyone know there are other sources of whining... I thought my rear end was going. his only happens when I am on the gas at aroudn 55-65 mph..

Reed

Rich H
09-25-05, 03:53 PM
ID#05-06-02-009, Sept 16, 2005 - This sounds like the infamous "hoot, whine, whistle, singing noise" that many of us have had to live with for some time that seems to come from underneath the dash. Although the other fix posted on this site dealt with changing the length of the water pump supply or return line to the heater core - this sounds like an official fix by GM. It is loud enough on my car to try the fix. Maybe I should wait till my radiator starts leaking (probably just a matter of time) and have the pump & thermostat replaced at the same time.:helpless:

ace996
09-25-05, 04:28 PM
I went out today to locate the "whine" I've hear from time to time. 5th gear or 6th gear, around 3K rpm...on the gas....it gets louder when rpm increases. I tried to get it in 4th...no deal. Only 5th and more so in 6th gear...hoot..whine..whatever, it sounds like the sound one gets when blowing into a beer bottle.
I don't know exactly where the sound's origin is, but its there. Another trip to the dealer....

09-25-05, 07:56 PM
I went out today to locate the "whine" I've hear from time to time. 5th gear or 6th gear, around 3K rpm...on the gas....it gets louder when rpm increases. I tried to get it in 4th...no deal. Only 5th and more so in 6th gear...hoot..whine..whatever, it sounds like the sound one gets when blowing into a beer bottle.
I don't know exactly where the sound's origin is, but its there. Another trip to the dealer....

yeah, the beer bottle noise is a good description. I get the noise in any gear, at any speed, where the rpm is between 2K and about 3K. Goes on and off at 2K as if somebody flipped a switch. I don't know if I get the noise in 6th gear; by then there is too much tire and wind noise to hear it.

ace996
09-25-05, 08:32 PM
Another ride confirmed that it only happens with coolant temps above 192*, give or take.