: On Star Digital equipment swap

RobzBLKV
09-23-05, 02:27 PM
Has anyone had the analog on-star replaced with the digital equipment yet? I talked to on-star about it this week and they said:

1) A kit is available for a $549 install fee.

2) You can get the kit free if you sign up for a three year on-star plan.

3) The three year on-star plan is $750.

4) You have to go to your dealer to discuss the options.

Wtf? That didn't sound right, so I checked the website. On-star is $200 for a year. What is this $750 crap? Maybe it was for the driving directions plan, which we REALLY need with a nav system. Only way I would continue the On-star program is if the cost made it a wash to swap out the equipment to digital so I could then use my Verizon service in the car.

Anyway, has anyone done this yet? If so, will you share the details?

lawfive
09-23-05, 02:37 PM
I haven't done this, but I'm interested now. I'd pay the $600 or $750 or whatever if I could get both cell phone integration and real-time traffic info. I'll be watching this thread.

ctsvett
09-23-05, 02:37 PM
There is a TSB explaining this.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/

Reed

Lindsay Cadillac
09-23-05, 02:44 PM
If your vehicle has equipment that can be upgraded you get the equipment free if you sign up for a three year plan. There are three different plans that you can choose from.

1) Safe & Sound - $549.00
2) Directions & COnnections - $1099.00
3) Luxury & Leisure - $2159.00

There is a form that your delaer should have you fill out and sign and then they can get the upgraded equipment and you dealer bills you for the plan that you chose.

RobzBLKV
09-23-05, 03:15 PM
Thanks you guys. I missed that a new tsb came out for it. Interesting that On-star gave me completely wrong information. It's always a lot easier when you can point your service advisor to his documentation.

Lawfive, I don't think the on-star unit is incorporated into the radio/nav system. I could be wrong, but you can get a CTS without nav, but they all have On-star.

keeksv
09-23-05, 03:36 PM
Is the upgrade available now, or is it going to be available in the near future...i.e., are the parts available for the swap?

ew

Lindsay Cadillac
09-23-05, 03:53 PM
Is the upgrade available now, or is it going to be available in the near future...i.e., are the parts available for the swap?
The parts have been available for all the ones we've done so far. We'd need your VIN to tell for sure... If you want to give that to me I can check and let you know...

James

RobzBLKV
09-23-05, 03:57 PM
On-star told me it was available for my car. The dealer hasn't called back yet.

Dave's V
09-23-05, 10:03 PM
When is non digital on star units not going to work anymore? I have two GM cars. Paying $1100 just to keep the cars working as I bought it is unacceptable.

I'm debating if it is even worth it right now. $32 a month (2 cars) almost buys 3/4 tank of gas. I only talked to an advisor once in 3 years and that was to help another motorist (my cell phone would of worked just as good). The other time (while trying to help another one) it wouldn't connect because I was in a canyon.

Plus, it feels like another version of Big Brother watching you.

JBeechel
09-23-05, 10:24 PM
Here's the next question... for everyone still under warranty, how is this not a warranty repair? I've paid to have funtional equipment in my car and as of XXX date (I forget when), it is no longer functional. There has to be some kind of warranty claim there.

Dave's V
09-23-05, 10:29 PM
There is probably some legal crap in the new "contract" they just sent out although I agree with you.

tedcmiller
09-24-05, 02:25 PM
Your analog-only OnStar tranceiver turns into a pumpkin in Feb. 2008, maybe. That is the date the FCC has established after which existing analog services are not required to be supported. Obviously, all analog service is not going to disappear immediatly, but analog service probably won't be around for very long after that.