: Anyone Interested in Ceramic Brake Pads?

vetteboy2k
09-23-05, 12:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just found this forum not too long ago, and just purchased my CTS-V about 3 weeks ago.

One thing that I noticed is that there seems to be no "Dustless" ceramic brake pads available for our cars and brake dust is a huge problem for many drivers. The acidic levels in the brake dust just literally eats through clearcoats. I am a Corvette C5 owner since 2000 and a long time member over at the Corvette Forum and also run in the Corvette Challenge at Englishtown, NJ.

I have a line on a manufacturer to make "Dustless" ceramic brake pads for our cars and would need a minimum of 10 people to get them to form the molds and produce the pads. I can obviously get many more sets of pads produced if needed. I helped with getting the ball rolling on the C5 Corvette Ceramic brakes as well.

If I need to become a supporting member or supporting vendor, mods please advise.

Luna.
09-23-05, 12:42 PM
I'd be interested in hearing a little more about advantages, drawbacks, cost, etc. :)

urbanski
09-23-05, 12:53 PM
i'm sure you could get buyers, but yes only supporting vendors can sponsor group buys.

vetteboy2k
09-23-05, 01:19 PM
Is it ok then to get all the data nessecary for example get costs to members and delivery timeframe, post it, if its a go then become a Supporting Vendor? Just trying to help the forum members.

Slywun
09-23-05, 01:25 PM
Count me in, I've been looking (without success) for ceramic pads.

Florian
09-23-05, 01:35 PM
Im in!

F

Barak
09-23-05, 01:37 PM
I'd be interested. I can't understand why Cadillac didn't use ceramic pads from the factory, considering their only real drawback is cost.

Florian
09-23-05, 01:57 PM
I think you answered your own question....

F

urbanski
09-23-05, 02:05 PM
here are the rules:

No spamming or commercial solicitation of any kind by members unless specifically given the right by administrators. Any such messages can be removed at the discretion of either a forum moderator or administrator. Selling of individual items is permissible by a private owner in our Classifieds section, however selling multiple items of the same product is considered a commercial post and may be removed at the discretion of moderators and/or staff.

Commercial solicitations may be posted in the forum they most apply to as long as the company conducting the group buy is a supporting vendor at cadillacforums.com.

Messages promoting a commercial entity that is not a supporting vendor of cadillacforums.com may be deleted at any time at the discretion of cadillacforums.com moderators and administrators.

It really is best to contact the forum administrator....look down for "contact us"

redzone
09-23-05, 02:05 PM
Hawk makes ceramic pads for the V. I bought a set for mine last month, about $200.00 for all 4 corners.

vetteboy2k
09-23-05, 02:37 PM
OK, I have sent an email to the forum admin and am awaiting a response.

To clear something up that redzone has posted, these pads will be a dustless ceramic type pad not a performance Hawk Pad that will continually turn your wheels black.

Barak
09-23-05, 03:06 PM
I think you answered your own question....

Then how do you explain why GM puts ceramic pads on a lot of other vehicles. Why would they skimp on the pads when the rest of the brake package costs a fortune.

Medicineman
09-23-05, 03:14 PM
Interested.......How about working on some Ceramic Rotors as well :D

Florian
09-23-05, 03:17 PM
uuuhhh.....hmmm. OK Im not sure.

F

Florian
09-23-05, 03:18 PM
maybe you answered your own question again....they robbed Peter to pay Paul.

F

alcast082
09-23-05, 04:30 PM
do these brake pads brake better??????

azombie
09-23-05, 04:54 PM
my dad was saying that the main drawback of ceramic pads is that they don't work without HEAT, so if you live in New England or Chicago and drive in the winter sometimes your brakes won't work when you first go to use them until they heat up a little. (This can be a little dangerous). Is this true or is my dad out to lunch? However, I hate brake dust more than anything else besides dirty hippies so anything that will reduce it will be something I will check into.

CTSV05
09-23-05, 05:44 PM
Advance Auto Parts has them, ours are the same part number as the 02 or 03 Z06 pads.

Dreamin
09-23-05, 05:55 PM
Your dad is thinking of the high-end race "Ceramic " brakes... like Porsche offers.

The "Ceramic" pads being discussed here are Ceramic/organic pads which will work fine without heat, will be very quiet, and will dust less... but they may not stop as well as the stock pads. This is a *general* statement, someone will have to try vetteboy2k's pads to test how much they dont dust, and if they stop the same or worse than the stock pads.
I have tried GM's Ceramic pads for the Z06... definitely did not stop as well as the Z06 stock pads (maybe 80% as well)... but they did not dust at all.

timmayz
09-23-05, 09:41 PM
Advance Auto Parts has them, ours are the same part number as the 02 or 03 Z06 pads.

R u sure? I had my Z06 and the V at the same time for a few weeks and through the wheels the pads look longer on the V with the six piston calipers. I had a set of Z ceramic pads, but didn't think they would fit with the different calipers so I gave them to the Z buyer...

CTSV05
09-23-05, 11:01 PM
Yep, we looked up the V #s and crossed them over to the 'Vette #s and they were the same, BUT, I may have the year wrong, it was quite awhile back.

They didn't have the ceramic listed for the V but they did for the 'Vette.

vetteboy2k
09-23-05, 11:12 PM
Dreamin is correct in saying that they are a ceramic pad that works fine without heat, very quiet, and very little to no dusting. Basically having to clean your wheels every 1,00 miles instead of 100mi. The dust comes off very easily with no chemicals at all, just plain soap and water. Under normal driving you won't be able to tell the differences in stopping power, however these aren't race compounds and won't give you maximum stopping power. If your after maximum stopping power than these aren't the type of pads for you. If your after a great street pad that is "dustless" for the easy to care for wheels, then they are for you.

As far as the part number being the same as the 02/03 Z06 the cadillacfaq says Hawk Front #: HB453.585
Hawk Rear #: HB194.570
where as for a Corvette it says
HPS Part Front: HB247F.575
HPS Part Rear: HB248F.650
So I don't think they are the same part. I will double check though.

Luna.
09-24-05, 02:25 PM
If your after a great street pad that is "dustless" for the easy to care for wheels, then they are for you.

So, the main drawback is cost (~$200 for all 4 corners?) and they don't quite stop as well? I'm still listening... :D

Dreamin
09-24-05, 04:10 PM
Yep, we looked up the V #s and crossed them over to the 'Vette #s and they were the same, BUT, I may have the year wrong, it was quite awhile back.

Kars, definitely not the same brake pad! You sure you guys didn't lookup the XLR?

Corvette C5 front:
http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts/images/shape/HB247.gif

CTS-V front:
http://www.hawkperformance.com/parts/images/shape/HB453.gif

CTSV05
09-25-05, 12:16 AM
Well, now I'm going to have to double check!!

They are closed now, but I'll find out tomorrow, I need to know now.

vetteboy2k
09-25-05, 11:52 AM
One thing I do know is the front calipers on a regular corvette is the same as on a Z06. The pad compounds may be different on a Z06 from the factory, than a stock corvette, but the calipers and pads are 100% interchangable.

CTSV05
09-25-05, 12:18 PM
Yep, I was wr....w....wro......mistaken.

I did however get a front pad set # from Advance: CMX921, no rears available yet.

I have no idea what we looked at the one day......?

Closer_2001
09-25-05, 12:51 PM

I did however get a front pad set # from Advance: CMX921, no rears available yet.

Are we sure the V does not require multiple CMX921s? It would seem hard to believe the Vette dual piston design uses a larger pad than the Brembos in the V.

slow35th
09-25-05, 01:55 PM

Same as the Viper maybe?

redzone
09-25-05, 05:44 PM
The pads from Hawk ARE dustless. I put them on before installing my CCW polished wheels, absolutely no dust from the pads.

azombie
09-25-05, 09:04 PM
this is sounding too good to be true! have to check them out once i need new pads

CTSV05
09-25-05, 09:09 PM
Are we sure the V does not require multiple CMX921s? It would seem hard to believe the Vette dual piston design uses a larger pad than the Brembos in the V.

It didn't specify it that way, but I certainly will open up a box and look.