: Guys, I Can Only Say Nice.....

CTSV05
09-22-05, 11:04 PM
Man, driving with the new diff is incredible, still not able to hammer it yet, but just even giving it part throttle power is a noticable difference.

Uggh, I hated that slapping or clunking noise when you would push the clutch in while moving, like when I would back out of the drive get going 5-6 mph and push in the clutch.

Or say cruising through a neighborhood in 2nd and push in the clutch.

There is just absolutely no sound or loose feeling now. After I had the kit on the loose feeling stopped, but you always had the noise when driveshft pressure was released. Not now.

I won't know for a few more miles, but I have a feeling, just a hunch, that some of the wheelhop condidtion was related to so much pinion backlash in the old diff.

I mean before ours broke, I could rotate the pinion about 30-40* of rotation between contact points on the ring gear. I can't imagine that would cause any problems!

kimcheejeegae
09-22-05, 11:45 PM
I hope this good news continues... cuz now I'm gonna go out and play harder on my current diff. =)

ace996
09-22-05, 11:47 PM
Doug,
Do you think the tightening could also be a result of stiffer/less rubber at the diff-driveshaft connection? The clutching sound, some refer to is as torque-reversal, is no doubt a result of the backlash/rubber mounts/isolators in the drivetrain. It really drives my wife crazy...I live with it, but its not a good thing. I hope to hear good things for you with the new diff. Some of us have had a rough couple of miles and your opinion at least gives me some hope. I'm glad to hear you've gained some confidence back with the V. Best of luck, and thanks for the impression.
Ve good,
ace996

wildwhl
09-23-05, 01:16 AM
Doug -

I, too, am hopeful of the things you mention.

However, I must point out that upon both diff replacements that I've had - the issues you mentioned were initially better as well. That is until the front bushing began to wear...so let's wait and see. I hope I'm wrong - but I'm guessing things will loosen up a bit as time goes on :nono:

CTSV05
09-23-05, 01:41 AM
WW,

I would be suspect too in your case. How many miles did it take for your noise to return? We had noise in our car in the first week of driving when we bought it new.

Don't forget, I had the entire front part of the carrier stabilized with my kit, and still had that sloppy release noise. No kit now, at least til the breakin is done, no wanty warranty trubbly.

a64pilot
09-23-05, 08:23 AM
I for one applaud you for breaking it in. Most people wouldn't have enough sense.

CTSV05
09-23-05, 10:06 AM
Trust me..............its an excersize in patience!!!!!!!!!!

globed70
09-23-05, 10:35 AM
Yep, my replacement diff /bushing was somewhat 'refined' for awhile, then the clunkiness returned. A gradual return is the best way to describe.

kimcheejeegae
09-23-05, 01:16 PM
Yep, my replacement diff /bushing was somewhat 'refined' for awhile, then the clunkiness returned. A gradual return is the best way to describe.

but do you have the new diff... part number 15XXXXXX not 10XXXXX

CTSV05
09-23-05, 06:36 PM
Nope Only Me!!!

Heee Heeee!

We'll see, but like I said, it feels different all around...........so far.

lasstss
09-23-05, 06:57 PM
Nope Only Me!!!

Heee Heeee!

We'll see, but like I said, it feels different all around...........so far.

I think that im addition to the diff install they added stiffer bushings. I have a stock CTS rear kicking around and the bushing in it is very soft and moveable as compared to the V replacement bushing. They must have upped the durometer.

V-Beach
09-23-05, 11:14 PM
The old wives tale of never buying a new model of any car holds true. As the 06' version of our car rolls off the line the improvements are there. Now I must consider if Cadillac is worthy of a second chance.

Slywun
09-23-05, 11:55 PM
Very encouraging news!!

CTSV05
09-23-05, 11:56 PM
Lass,

Wasn't there even a new part # for an improved bushing if I remember right?

trekster
09-24-05, 12:21 AM
time to hammer the V.

lasstss
09-24-05, 12:29 AM
Lass,

Wasn't there even a new part # for an improved bushing if I remember right?

Correct.. by chance did they replace the bushings in the cradle where the diff mounts up? Any other parts besides the differential and lube?

CTSV05
09-24-05, 01:30 AM
Nothing except for the factory "hop fix" bushings.

wildwhl
09-24-05, 01:29 PM
CTSV05 -

The "upgraded" bushing is what I have (had to pay for it - they wouldn't include it in the diff replacement - $96 if I recall) and it felt significantly better for quite some time. The front bushing is under a great deal of stress, and over time, has again "worn" to a point that some if not all of the slop has returned. When the diff and bushing were installed - I had NO aftermarket parts on the car, at least in terms of suspension parts. The immediate result was a very quiet slop free drivetrain.

Now that it has degraded some, I still don't have any whine or diff noise that I can tell (but my V is somewhat louder than a stock V these days :lildevil: ) but the clunking has returned to some extent.

Again, I am hopeful that the bushing has been improved BEYOND the replacement, upgraded bushing (which is still quite soft). I'll follow your progress to see.