: EGR valve location

first sts
09-22-05, 08:28 PM
where is the egr valve on a 95 STS is it hard to remove and clean?????

Eldyfig
09-22-05, 10:31 PM
Looking at the engine from the driver's side, the egr valve is to the right of the throttle body. There is an electrical connection going into the top of it. Remove the connection before removing the egr valve.

Holding egr valve upright at all times, spray some carb cleaner on valve stem and around the small ports. Use something small to clean the gunk out. Be very careful not to let the cleaner get to the windings of the valve. Make sure you hold valve upright.

davesdeville
09-23-05, 05:45 AM
If you have the stainless steel fuel rail, there's a fuel line bracket that attaches to the top of one of the EGR valves bolts. Meaning you have to either remove the fuel rail entirely (not that hard but it does require draining pressure and disconnecting the rail from the fuel line which requires a special tool) or cut through the bracket. The bracket is probably there for some reason, but I chose cutting through it - not the best idea since it's 1/8" thick sheet steel.

I got a used but working EGR valve off eBay for around $45 shipped which is 1/3 the cost of new. Installed it tonight (no more P036 thank God) but tore the old gasket so I'll have to redo it tomorrow when I get a new gasket since it leaks. And since one of the bolts decided to dive somewhere that's impossible to find again... I'll snap a couple pics when I redo it tomorrow after I go to the stealership for the gasket and bolt...