: New Key Fob

04CTSVFLA
09-22-05, 03:00 PM
Anyone else think that the Key Fob - the small security remote - that comes with the V is a little cheesey/cheap looking, when compared to the jazzy flip-out keys or the ones that are all stainless steel. But Gm chose to give us a cheap plastic one that looks like it would come with a 50 dollar alarm system. Anyone agrree? Anyone change their fob or knows of where I can find a nicer one?

51PHFTY
09-22-05, 03:40 PM
Yeah, the fob is very similar to my truck one, but, I have had a few of the flip out ones and they are not very sturdy (they just wore out) and they are not cheap to replace.

Marty

CTSVONFIRE
09-22-05, 03:56 PM
More money for GM w/ less designs just change out the internals. But, why should v owners be any different(haha). We should have a GM Performance Division fob.

CVP33
09-22-05, 04:56 PM
I'm surprised that someone in the aftermarket hasn't already addressed this. Unless each manufacturers hardware/software is proprietary, this could be a huge business. Personalized key fobs with flip out keys etc.

04CTSVFLA
09-22-05, 05:02 PM
I agree someone could make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

alcast082
09-22-05, 05:09 PM
someone make us a key fob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTSVONFIRE
09-22-05, 05:12 PM
Take it apart and have it paintef to mtch the car. I took a V emblem and drilled a hole in it 4 a key chain so I could tell it apart from all the other keys

1MEANV
09-22-05, 05:28 PM
I Do. I Seen Others That Come With Caddies And They Are Alot Nicer

04CTSVFLA
09-22-05, 07:10 PM
True, what sort of shop would you goto to inquire about key fobs. I was thinking of a nice heavy (paperweight type feel) brushed metal of some sort with some nice buttons.

naiculnila
09-22-05, 07:25 PM
They could just get rid of the key altoghether and do go the route of the Corvette with just a transmitter and a cool start button that says Vrooom!

detv
09-22-05, 08:36 PM
They are going to do this for 2007 cts.

crowan
09-23-05, 12:27 AM
Anyone else think that the Key Fob - the small security remote - that comes with the V is a little cheesey/cheap looking, when compared to the jazzy flip-out keys or the ones that are all stainless steel. But Gm chose to give us a cheap plastic one that looks like it would come with a 50 dollar alarm system. Anyone agrree? Anyone change their fob or knows of where I can find a nicer one?

:hmm: I hate to be the skunk at the garden party, but I have to ask; does this interest in key fobs mean that you actually bought a V?

alcast082
09-23-05, 12:44 AM
I got one, AND I AM INTERESTED, I bet 50% of te guys here are interested.
The funniest part was when my girl so my keys
"WHY ARE YOU DRIVING YOUR MOMS VAN, I THOUGHT YOU GOT A NEW CAR"
now a few months later she wishes she could get her hands on my keys. hahaha

04CTSVFLA
09-23-05, 01:29 AM
welllllll, I am in the process of buying one - unfortunately and believe it or not it is in college station, TX. I am going to fly their ASA I can and driving it back - that is it is still in one piece. I really cant believe this has happened to me twice - two hurricanes two different cars - deja vu.

kjr39
09-23-05, 08:27 AM
You just can't win, FLA. Hope this car doesn't get blown away...

As far as the fobs go, it would be really nice to ditch the key outright and go with a push button...

estatesatty
09-23-05, 02:08 PM
I posted something about this a long time ago. For a luxo car, the key fobs are cheesy. Call me snob, but I think that as buyers of cars near or above 50k we should have different keys than those buying 18-20k cobalts.

RobzBLKV
09-23-05, 02:15 PM
Does anybody else think this is about the silliest complaint yet? (no offense to the op or those who agree with him, you are entitled to your opinion). The only real issues for me about the key fob are: 1) does it unlock the car; 2) does it not break; 3) is it small enough to carry in my pocket reasonably easily. Yeah, it looks like every other GM key fob. So what? If I were going to complain about it, I would complain about the range. But even the range hasn't affected my life. I wish the buttons were integrated somewhat like the BMW keys to make the total package smaller. That's all. But it's not something I would complain about in its present state.

Imo, the push button keyless starts are cool for about 2 months. Then it's just another electronic gimick gizmo to break.

04CTSVFLA
09-23-05, 03:07 PM
Push butron sounds really enticing, I actually found a place that sells push button start ups and quote "easy to install." - ppl that dont like the idea, dont post in this thread - this is for poeople interested or agreeing on the fact that are Key Fob Sucks and is cheesey and mad cheap for a 50k car. My old Honda key fob was IMHO nicer and sleeker than the GM Caddy one.

RobzBLKV
09-23-05, 03:24 PM
Great, so you only want to hear from people that agree with you. Check. :helpless:

Well, I am afraid I am going to reject your attempt to tell me where I can and can't post. Sorry. If you don't want to hear opinions about this particular complaint that don't agree with yours, you maybe shouldn't post them on a public forum. ;)

kjr39
09-23-05, 03:48 PM
I drove a new 3-series and it has push button start. Pretty darn cool.

malcolm
09-23-05, 04:06 PM
I have to agree with RobzBLKV, a fob is a fob is a fob. Should have bought an STS, it's keyless and very cool.

alcast082
09-23-05, 04:14 PM
why are people arguing about posting and blabla
IF you like the key fob then, awesome but i believe nobody would mine having a nicer one.
there should def be a company outthere that does this.

04CTSVFLA
09-23-05, 04:41 PM
Ok Robz, I just really dont care man. Im glad you dont think its a good idea, so keep your ugly GM key fob!

04CTSVFLA
09-23-05, 04:42 PM
Yea push starts are the shit....Im about to search to see if one is compatible for our V"S

04CTSVFLA
09-23-05, 04:49 PM
I agree alcast - some people hunt for threads to JACK then post on how stupid the idea of the thread was. This forum is meant for ideas and constructive criticism.....so rob go blah blah blah elsewhere.

SoFlaV
09-24-05, 12:49 AM
Not to rain on the parade, guys...but I saw a 2005 C6 towed away for a no start. That nifty pretty electronic fob they have also means there isn't a way to manually unlock the door; just to break it down Barney-style, there's no door lock cylinder. Dead battery = tow truck AND pop-a-lock, just to open it up. (Any C6 owners, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I witnessed.)

Honestly, I can't believe there's a repeated thread that shows up on here complaining about key fobs. :mad: Bad diff? Sure. Shifter? I get it. But the griping because GM used the exact same fob as they do on many of their other products? Come on...life is better spent on other pursuits. Just my 2 cents.

barry007
09-24-05, 09:07 AM
not that i care so much about the V..but for the HD i was thinking of adding this...
http://www.bulletproofelectronics.com/arse.htm

i bet it could be converted to work with your V in FL. I think the key itself does have some chip in it that needs to be within xx inches away from the ignition to work though.

Good luck on your quest.

rodster111
09-24-05, 11:09 AM
SoFlaV- When the battery goes dead on a C6 you use a key that is provided with the car, reach up under the license plate and insert it into a hidden lock. A turn of the key and the hatch opens. Inside, on the back of the left fenderwell, are two pull-cables which manually release the driver's door and the gas filler. Not the most elegant solution, but at least there is a alternative to the powered system.

lawfive
09-24-05, 11:14 AM
I don't really mind the key fob; it's exactly the same as the ones on my 1997 Grand Prix and my 2004 Grand Prix. Economies of scale and all. I just wish it would work from farther away than 10 - 20 feet.

I'll sweat the key fob when I stop sweating the other cool stuff our V shoulda had:

Head-up display
MP3-playin' stereo
Auxilliary audio input
Auxilliary video input
Bluetooth integration
Voice commands for nav/stereo (yeah, Reed, I know...)
Stereo controls on steering wheel

ctsvett
09-24-05, 02:37 PM
I don't really mind the key fob; it's exactly the same as the ones on my 1997 Grand Prix and my 2004 Grand Prix. Economies of scale and all. I just wish it would work from farther away than 10 - 20 feet.

I'll sweat the key fob when I stop sweating the other cool stuff our V shoulda had:

Head-up display-
I've looked into this- Its harder than we think although there is an aftermarket company.

MP3-playin' stereo-
Ipod kit in the works- It will be controllable from the stock radio and song titles will show up on the radio- This MAY be the best integration I have seen- I will update later

Auxilliary audio input-
Possible (yeah, I know lawfive!)

Auxilliary video input-
Working on this one too- Yasso!)

Bluetooth integration-
Integration, not likely, auxiliary kit, possible, I gave up.

Voice commands for nav/stereo (yeah, Reed, I know...) <--

Stereo controls on steering wheel-
I wish we had this too especially for as often as i use cruise control (never) I would rather have configurable buttons where the CC buttons are.

we will find a way around GM stubornness... You notice even on the HHR there is an aux input they are advertising with the iPod.. the only problem is, its ONLY a aux input. NO ipod control, no sing titles on the radio.. Really DUMB GM especially since you are advertising it. BMW had something way better than than 3 years ago! Be a leader!

Reed

04CTSVFLA
09-24-05, 03:22 PM
I would think for the bluetooth, you would be able to borrow the complete system from any car - like it comes standard in newer Acura Tl's I believe. I mean if you could uninstall it - how much would a junk yard charge for this? The hard part would be integrating it/installing it into the V.