: 2000 escalade muffler problem

firecat_freak
09-22-05, 01:46 PM
My muffler, when hot, has a metal on metal sound. Last night i took it for a drive, got it hot, and had my buddy nudge the throttle off of idle and it rattles. A guy can take a mallet and hit the muffler on the bottom and hear a rattle from within. Also, there is a small wheep hole at the back, i think it's for moisture to get out, but there is exhaust coming through that hole, sounds like a leak from the outside. I called a caddy dealer, and they told me the muffler is not covered under the emmison warranty, and a new one was $600 :banghead: .

What can i do, i want to get a new muffler, but i'd rather keep the original on to keep it quiet. I don't want a loud rumbly exhaust. Does anyone know how i can get an original equipment muffler for cheap? thanks

FF

slimm44
09-22-05, 03:47 PM
ebay maybe or a junkyard. don't even need to find an escalade one, any tahoe/yukon will do.

hcvone
09-23-05, 07:26 AM
My muffler, when hot, has a metal on metal sound. Last night i took it for a drive, got it hot, and had my buddy nudge the throttle off of idle and it rattles. A guy can take a mallet and hit the muffler on the bottom and hear a rattle from within. Also, there is a small wheep hole at the back, i think it's for moisture to get out, but there is exhaust coming through that hole, sounds like a leak from the outside. I called a caddy dealer, and they told me the muffler is not covered under the emmison warranty, and a new one was $600 :banghead: .

What can i do, i want to get a new muffler, but i'd rather keep the original on to keep it quiet. I don't want a loud rumbly exhaust. Does anyone know how i can get an original equipment muffler for cheap? thanks

FF

Being your truck is 5 years old it's not uncommon for the muffler to go bad, from what you describe you probably broke (rotted out) a baffle inside the muffler. A good muffler shop could cut out the bad muffler and install a replacement, or you can get an aftermarket exhaust like Corsa or Borla. ;)

firecat_freak
09-23-05, 11:07 AM
i was considering the corsa or borla, i believe corsa was advertised as a banner and had sound demos. It seemed pretty loud for the 5.3L, and that is not the way i want to go. I want to keep it quiet as stock. Is the current system stainless? Or something else, i suppose i could buy a stainless muffler and have it welded in their if the rest of the system is the same.

FF

GRP
09-30-05, 02:11 PM
i was considering the corsa or borla, i believe corsa was advertised as a banner and had sound demos. It seemed pretty loud for the 5.3L, and that is not the way i want to go. I want to keep it quiet as stock. Is the current system stainless? Or something else, i suppose i could buy a stainless muffler and have it welded in their if the rest of the system is the same.

FF

The Corsa TOURING system for the Escalade is VERY quiet when cruising. Slightly louder than stock when accelerating. Plus, it's 304 stainless, so it'll be the last exhaust you need to buy for your truck. Part number 14233 for 2002 and newer 5.3L Escalade.

hcvone
09-30-05, 02:53 PM

FF

As said above the Corse Touring is the way to go, I tried the Sport system and it was just too loud for an Escalade IMO, switched to the Touring and have been very pleased. :)

slimm44
09-30-05, 04:29 PM
Part number 14233 for 2002 and newer 5.3L Escalade.
that doesn't help him. his is a 2000 5.7L.

firecat_freak
10-02-05, 10:18 PM
correct

Xrayqueen
10-17-05, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE=firecat_freak]My muffler, when hot, has a metal on metal sound. Last night i took it for a drive, got it hot, and had my buddy nudge the throttle off of idle and it rattles. A guy can take a mallet and hit the muffler on the bottom and hear a rattle from within. Also, there is a small wheep hole at the back, i think it's for moisture to get out, but there is exhaust coming through that hole, sounds like a leak from the outside. I called a caddy dealer, and they told me the muffler is not covered under the emmison warranty, and a new one was $600 :banghead: .

Hi Firecat,
I don't know where you are located or if you still need a muffler? I'm near Los Angeles/Palm Springs area. I have a 2000 also. I also have my old muffler system I would be willing to part with for a fee. It's in excellent condition :yup:. I had a Dual exhaust system put on my truck in 02/05. So get in touch if you're interested. PM me.
Peace Xrayqueen :)