: Center Console Arm Rest

Doc170
09-22-05, 11:17 AM
When I got My CTS-V back from the dealer,after a new rearend was installed, the arm rest between the front seats seemed to be lower at the front of it,and also rattled when my arm was not on it. Does anyone else have a problem like this? Thanks, Doc170 :crybaby:

Florian
09-22-05, 11:33 AM
Doc,
Check the faq, there are ways to alleviate that situation. Many opt for the standard CTS console (w/higher resting height and extra storage space.). YOu can DIY for about 120 bux. The rattling is the screws that have come loose and are sliding around inside the armrest.

F

waswas
09-22-05, 11:46 AM
I have done the "loose screw fix"..it is simple,,follow the directions on the FAQ...

Am about to order the regular CTS arm rest.

crowan
09-22-05, 01:24 PM
Someone at your dealership probably leaned too hard on the flimsy stock armrest and broke it. If it just happened, take it back to them and make them fix it. It is a common problem for the V armrests.

CR

CTSVONFIRE
09-22-05, 02:16 PM
They all lean down so you can shift better with your arm restin on the consol, a factory design.

CTS-VETTE 550HP
09-22-05, 05:25 PM
Doc170,
my armrest was in a similar condition. pisses you off doesn't it

CTSVONFIRE
09-22-05, 06:16 PM
Yeah but I don't think it would be as easy to shift w/ a regular cts console, but it would be a nice compartment to have.

Lindsay Cadillac
09-22-05, 06:30 PM
IMO it doesn't make shifting any harder even with an aftermarket shifter (UUC)... I find that when I sit in one that has the normal V armrest it feels too low... just my $.02...

James

waswas
09-22-05, 06:44 PM
Could someone measure and tell us EXACTLY how much higher the regular CTS arm rest would be...then we can all pile some books on our V arm rests and decide for ourselvs if it is too high....thanks

crazyfast
09-22-05, 06:50 PM
Be careful, the weight of the books might break the plastic!!

BeagleBrains
09-22-05, 09:33 PM
The only readend problem I have had is wishing that arm rest was up some GM Engineer's rearend. Have ordered the standard CTS Armrest. I guess I will need to lean to shift when I get older.

AmesCTS-V
09-22-05, 11:07 PM
I did the CTS armrest install. I thought it was a little too tall to shift well, but it seems like a lot of people like it. Here's what mine looked like: http://www.blackcts-v.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10010

ace996
09-23-05, 12:29 AM
Keep in mind, the stock center console was designed from the factory for a specific purpose. Changing the center console may lead your dealership to void your warrantee due to a material modification. The reason for the lower console is to urge the newer/more aggressive Cadillac owner to assume the tried and true position of slightly leaning to the right...described internally at GM as the "Caddy Lean". Some of you may remember the popularity of such a driving posture from the '80s. Drivers of Cadillacs, Lincolns and even Camaros assumed such a driving position when "cruising" their respective neighborhoods. When a driver assumes the "Caddy Lean", one is less apt to accelerate briskly and thus bypasses drivetrain induced stress, thereby allowing the differential to achieve a longer fatigue lifespan. Changing the height of the armreast is a red-light service situation, and service personel are trained to immediately call CadillacCorporatePolice to report the infraction.
The problem with the current design, and the reason why many are hesitant to assume the Caddy Lean, is that while assuming the company-preferred position one is not easily able to keep contact with the updated radio/CD controls. Previous designs, with sound controls mounted lower in the dash, allowed one to keep constant contact with the controls, allowing the appropriate volume/station calibration for the immediate cruising situation, ie. a group of girls on the sidewalk leading to increased volume and a display of "machismo".

I'm under the impression that GM insiders have a special team dedicated to the subliminal programming of current and future V-series owners, to assume the Caddy Lean and therefore solidify the "luxury-cruiser-macho-man" image that has since been pushed to the background of the American cruiser scene.

Expect a TSB soon that will position the Entertainment/NAV controls lower in the dash to bolster the need to "lean". Climate controls will assume the higher mounting position.

Still Leanin',
ace996

crowan
09-23-05, 12:38 AM
The regular CTS console is 4 3/4" high. I find it to be a definite improvement for shifting purposes and a great mod. The extra storage space is also a big plus.

CR

Luna.
09-23-05, 01:17 AM
The regular CTS console is 4 3/4" high. I find it to be a definite improvement for shifting purposes and a great mod. The extra storage space is also a big plus. CR

I completely agree. I plan on installing this mod shortly based priimarily on this thread. :)

jlakowicz
09-23-05, 02:59 AM
Does anyone know the part number for the console? Its always nice to know to avoid mix ups. Is there a color code for our dark grey interior? Thanks. Joe

AmesCTS-V
09-23-05, 03:03 AM
Does anyone know the part number for the console? Its always nice to know to avoid mix ups. Is there a color code for our dark grey interior? Thanks. Joe
It's on Cadillacfaq.com and listed right in the link I gave to my write-up http://www.blackcts-v.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10010

jlakowicz
09-23-05, 08:15 AM
Thanks, I didn't see it. Joe

Silver Baron
09-23-05, 08:16 AM
Keep in mind, the stock center console was designed from the factory for a specific purpose. Changing the center console may lead your dealership to void your warrantee due to a material modification. The reason for the lower console is to urge the newer/more aggressive Cadillac owner to assume the tried and true position of slightly leaning to the right...described internally at GM as the "Caddy Lean". Some of you may remember the popularity of such a driving posture from the '80s. Drivers of Cadillacs, Lincolns and even Camaros assumed such a driving position when "cruising" their respective neighborhoods. When a driver assumes the "Caddy Lean", one is less apt to accelerate briskly and thus bypasses drivetrain induced stress, thereby allowing the differential to achieve a longer fatigue lifespan. Changing the height of the armreast is a red-light service situation, and service personel are trained to immediately call CadillacCorporatePolice to report the infraction. :highfive: :histeric: :histeric:

BeagleBrains
09-23-05, 06:46 PM
Keep in mind, the stock center console was designed from the factory for a specific purpose. Changing the center console may lead your dealership to void your warrantee due to a material modification. The reason for the lower console is to urge the newer/more aggressive Cadillac owner to assume the tried and true position of slightly leaning to the right...described internally at GM as the "Caddy Lean". rols lower in the dash to bolster the need to "lean". Climate controls will assume the higher mounting position.

Still Leanin',
ace996
Leaning? Go see your Chiropractor. Warranty voided! Go for it.
:stirpot: You neglected the appropriate Smilie insert.