: Signs you need a tuneup?

cadillac6
11-28-03, 01:12 PM
I was wondering if I have to get one done. My 97 deville has 80,000 miles on it. I dont know if it has ever had a tuneup but i was wondering what were some signs i might need one?

zonie77
11-28-03, 02:32 PM
Usually rough running is the tip off that a tuneup is needed. At 80K it would probably be a good idea to put in new plugs and a fuel filter.
Spark plugs aren't like a light bulb ( Good one minute and blown out the next) and gradually get tip wear. A dyno usually shows a few horsepower gain with brand new plugs. After 80K the plugs are close to failing. You might as well do them now.
If you are taking it to a mechanic make sure you are getting all 8. A lot of shops only change the plugs that show bad on the scope and that is not what you want done.

elwesso
11-28-03, 04:50 PM
the term tuneup is too vague of a term..... With these advanced engines, a tuneup can mean an entourage of things..... However, the things I WOULD replace when doing a tuneup is.....

1. Plugs and wires (always replace wires with plugs)
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. TB cleaning

Along with that, a general inspection of other things making sure everything is in working order.......