: Integrity Test with my new dealer's service department

CVP33
09-21-05, 07:09 PM
I went V-less for 22 days while virtually everything was replaced on my V. Upon it's return I have two NEW issues. 1st is the car will not go into Competition Mode. This may in fact be due to non-V NAV unit being installed as the car feels like it's in Competition Mode it just won't display it on the NAV screen.

Issue number 2 is a new vibration from 2,500 to 3,000 rpm's in nearly every gear. All X-Pipe owners know to avoid 1,500 to 2,000 but this is something new and totally invasive. Upon inspection tonight I found that one of the two bolts used to support the X-Pipe section has been removed (most likely stripped) and a new bolt has been cobbled in its place with a piece of undetermined rubber and about 6 metal washers.

Now most of you know the time I spent under this vehicle just prior to turning it over to my new dealer. I can assure you that there were absolutely no issues with the exhaust. My guess is when they removed the exhaust to repair the transmission that the bolt was stripped or damaged in some way.

Now who thinks that the new dealer will step up and do the right thing here? More on this tomorrow. :nono:

urbanski
09-21-05, 07:11 PM
they killed the rubber grommet? damn dude, they are hard to find. with the X, IMO, they are completely necessary to stop the vibration

CVP33
09-21-05, 07:24 PM
they killed the rubber grommet? damn dude, they are hard to find. with the X, IMO, they are completely necessary to stop the vibration

Exactly. Can't wait to have the dealer tell me it came in that way. I'm sure the rubber piece they used will be a dead giveaway to the dealer. One of the service techs probably used a pretty common piece they had lying around. It's about two inches in diameter and nearly flat. I've never seen anything like it. Hopefully they will own up to it. Wish it hadn't happened in the first place though. Why return a car to a customer with a known defect? Kind of a waste of time.

RocketV
09-21-05, 07:32 PM
Quote: Why return a car to a customer with a known defect?

I think this has been covered in other threads. Most Cadillac dealers have zero experience with someone who will actually climb under their car(especially to the extent that CVP does, judging by the pix he posts). A couple years ago my Dad's STS had a vibe that the dealer said most people would not even notice. It turned out that the block had three out-of-round pistons. (Cadillac had to take the car back)

CTSV05
09-21-05, 07:53 PM
Damn Dude!!!

Yeah, I love to let the explanation come forth and then spank them with the fact I have done ........on the car. You usually get a dropped jaw and a blank stare.

Geeeesh, good luck.

willsctsv
09-21-05, 08:09 PM
CVP33, save yourself the aggrevation and do this quick fix yourself. Chances are they will give you the runaround..
After my dealer stripped mine, my exhaust was hanging too low. Heres what I did..

Take a regular bolt that fits into the threads you have, re-tap if stripped.
It must be atleast 1.5-1.75 inches. Cut out a piece of gas line ( neoprene hose) to use as a sleeve. Slide over the bolt leaving about 3/4 inch of thread to go into the chassy. Now you have the sides of the bolt covered so it won't contact the bracket of the X pipe. Now you will need to cut a piece of rubber(old radiator hose is perfect because it's thick and will withstand high temps) shaped like a washer, and drill a hole in the center.
Place a metal washer on the end of the bolt, then the rubber washer you made, you already have your rubber sleeve on. Place a few drops of thread lock on the bolt and mount it. Don't bottom out the bolt, just tighten enough to pull up the exhaust to where you want it. If everything is right you will have no metal to metal contact.
Try it out, it worked for me.

CVP33
09-21-05, 08:12 PM
Will,

Thanks for the advice. I will most likely do just that. At some point you have to pick your battles. I will make it known with the dealer that my V did not go in that way though as I think he should know. Thanks for the directions as well.

Drift-caddy
09-21-05, 09:51 PM
Will,

Thanks for the advice. I will most likely do just that. At some point you have to pick your battles. I will make it known with the dealer that my V did not go in that way though as I think he should know. Thanks for the directions as well.

Why dont you do one better, have it fixed right, have it fixed the first time and have it fixed for free. Dont know when else you want me to do here, but comeo n enough is enough. Ask anyone on here who has had there car, I will make sure it is taken care of. Well just my .02, but maybe you like going back to the dealer:hmm:

CVP33
09-22-05, 09:31 PM
Fixed the exhaust myself. Thanks Will! I had some extra tubing left over from the catch can install and used that to make a grommet/bushing for the X-pipe hanger. No more vibration. As far as the NAV screen goes, the dealer claims that the part number was taken off of my old unit and used to order the new one. Dealer believes that it must be a software issue. Who know's. I can confirm that the car is in fact in Competition Mode, I just don't see it displayed on the screen. LPE CAI is back on as well as the painted engine cover. I'll post some pix this weekend.

msheri01
09-23-05, 07:11 AM
Did they set the radio software up correctly? The radios are the same for CTS and CTS-V, but the programming is different. It may believe it lives in a CTS, and therefore would not recognize competition mode.

Lindsay Cadillac
09-23-05, 08:31 AM
CVP33 - msheri01 is right... The radio has to be programmed... Also, if the Tech II used to program the radio wasn't up to date (see bulletin below) then you won't be able to go into competitive mode...

James

Competitive Driving Mode Not Displayed after Radio Replacement - kw ABS audio display navigation repair program Stabilitrak SWC TCS TRAC Off #PIC3174 - (Sep 29, 2004)

Competitive Driving Mode Not Displayed after Radio Replacement

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Customer or technician may have a concern of "Competitive Driving Mode" display missing after a radio replacement. Current Tech 2 software does not support the CTS-V.

Recommendation/Instructions:

The Technician should contact Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 for an updated Tech 2 calibration until the release of Tech 2 software version 24.007

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:

(2004 2005 Cadillac CTS-V )

haveboost
09-23-05, 11:45 AM
The competition mode problem happened to me. No big deal.

and sad enough the stripped bolt also. But my service tech had the good sense to fix the problem. I called B&B and they sent me a new set of bolts with the isolators.

Ryan's '05-V
09-23-05, 12:46 PM
Thanks Lindsay, that is probably my issue. Mine does not display and doesn't appear to work as the TC is off when I hit it once and back on if I hit it twice instead of going in to Comp Mode.
This should the dealer and me a little more. Thanks.

CVP33
09-23-05, 06:19 PM
Lindsay and Msheri - Thanks for your help. I'll follow up with that.

Ryan - I replied to your PM. :thumbsup: