: Is the V really that bad???

Meater
09-21-05, 07:54 PM
I am looking at getting a new car soon. All this forum does is ripe how much of a POS this car is. I had a SS Camaro and I know that the LS1, LS6, LS2 are all bullit proof. But is the rest of the car going to fall apart?

kimcheejeegae
09-21-05, 07:58 PM
I am looking at getting a new car soon. All this forum does is ripe how much of a POS this car is. I had a SS Camaro and I know that the LS1, LS6, LS2 are all bullit proof. But is the rest of the car going to fall apart?

"All this forum does is ripe how much of a POS this car is..."?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you crazy? We all love this car. There are some shortcomings, which are slowly getting addressed... I absolutely love mine. I can't imagine driving anything else... short of a Carrera GT or a Pagani Zonda. drooool... ok and a few others... but man I LOVE MY CAR!

kjr39
09-21-05, 07:59 PM
Yes, it is.

Don't buy one.

ctsvett
09-21-05, 08:08 PM
ask MOST anyone here if, despite their gripes, they woudl still buy the car and you will get a big yes..

Sure a few people (CVP33) are having bad dealer experiences and some problems, but what car maker does not?

Buy from a good dealer who you trust and you will have a smile on your face.

Reed

RocketV
09-21-05, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=

Buy from a good dealer who you trust and you will have a smile on your face.

Reed[/QUOTE]

My car has been fantastic. This may be due to the fact that I have not modded it as some of the other cars owned by forum members. However, I also have an excellent dealer to work with. I think the quote above is a more important consideraion than price.

CVP33
09-21-05, 08:19 PM
Some people would say that I'm the wrong person to ask. But I'll still chime in. The V is an incredible car. I love the look, the power and the performance. There is no other 4 door I'd own. PERIOD.

If you choose to buy the V you must educate yourself quickly. You may be one of the owners that never has an issue. But then again you may not. If you fall into the latter category you must arm yourself with knowledge. Read the CAD FAQ's and stay up with the recalls and TSB's. Read the forum and know how to handle difficult dealer and/or Area Service Manager issues. It's definitely worth the work.

I must however tell you that if you push the car, even within it's design limits it will break. Not might break, will break. If you drive 9/10ths you will most likely never have an issue.

Now having said all that I'd still KEEP THE V AND TRADE THE DEALER FIRST.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
09-21-05, 08:19 PM
These threads pop up all the time. Not just @ Cadillac or even the V. Take a look at M3 boards and C32 boards, S4, etc...

Although these questions don't get asked as much (because THOSE cars are supposed to bought, no need to explain a BMW purchase, unlike the CTSV), the boards still post lots of problems with thier cars.

A big reason for these boards, is help. Hence, alot of problems will be posted.

MAybe there needs to be a sticky thread, with people talking about all the fun they have killing unsuspecting imports. :)

CVP33
09-21-05, 08:21 PM
And by the way the first 3 rear end failures were on un-modded V's.

kjr39
09-21-05, 08:26 PM
These threads pop up all the time. Not just @ Cadillac or even the V. Take a look at M3 boards and C32 boards, S4, etc...

These threads pop up for any product...

Pretty much any message board will get these. I wouldn't think the posts here are representative of the entire population of Vs (well, maybe the diff...)

Most poeple don't mod their cars, most people don't take them to the track, most people don't hang out on message boards about their cars...

We are just lucky... :)

RocketV
09-21-05, 08:27 PM
My car has not yet been above 9/10's; that may be the reason it is doing so well. At this point I am happy with 1.11 and 1.08 on the vomitometer (My wife's name for the G-meter)My rear end is beginning to whine a little, but so did the one on my first CTS, a 2003 with the 3.2 motor. I'm waiting to bring it in until I am sure I will get the new part. (MMMMM.....BEEFY)

willsctsv
09-21-05, 08:35 PM
Go test drive one, then you will see for yourself.
As for pushing the car, I have 6 track days under the belt and have never broke down. Any hard driving you do on the street will never amount to the kind of abuse the track puts on the car. Tire temp meters beeping, oil temps hot, tires screeching and G meter pulling 1.2.
These are all things that street and highway driving will never do to your car!
IMO, this is a great car!

51PHFTY
09-21-05, 08:44 PM
The test drive did me in also. I haven't pushed mine over 9/10ths either and have no big issues so far - not to say they will not occur. But I have had Audi's Porsches, other imports and American cars and trucks and they all have their issues. Get a good dealer with a good service dept. and it is well worth it!

I am having a blast with the car.

Marty

urbanski
09-21-05, 08:47 PM
long thread ahoy

Barak
09-21-05, 08:48 PM
The test drive did me in also.

Same here, if you don't want to buy this car, don't test drive it because you will quickly change your mind.

CTSV05
09-21-05, 09:11 PM
No.

The V is GREAT! Period.

How Cadillac seems to handle customers, I have to say....sukks!

But, the car is awesome, and now that I have the new diff, my confidence has been greatly increased. I love taking new people for rides in the car, it NEVER fails to impress.

My car was not modded beyond fixing the factory wheel-hop issue, but I totally disintegrated the original diff.

But it seems GM has heard the call and is taking care of that problem.

I can gaurantee you, any car will have issues, and some may even be sorry they bought it, no matter the brand.

But the fact these are limited production cars, and the fact they are so well done, aside from some corner cutting on parts decisions, these Vs will always be a car for enthusiasts to own.

2004ctsv
09-21-05, 10:02 PM

Meat er

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
You are correct - all the posters here are ripe
They should get a bullit and a POS

Tony

Where do these guys come from?

ylwjacket
09-21-05, 10:27 PM
Where do these guys come from?

Hey, didn't bugs steal your immodium p32 space modulator?

heavymetals
09-21-05, 10:30 PM
Yeah, mine is such a POS that I would rather drive it then my Z06.:thepan:

Don't buy one, and definatly don't test drive one.:lildevil:

Meater
09-21-05, 10:48 PM
I did test drive one. I absolutly loved it. I could not even feel the power the dealership was very optomistic about letting me even test drive it.(I am only 21). I knew it had power and it felt real smooth. I have been looking at mid-sized luxury market. I have been considering: NEW Audi A6 S-line 4.2 (330hp) allwheel drive all options exept nav(new grill i like); MB E500 (5L 302 hp) all options 05 8k miles; NEW M45 Infiniti all options (345hp)(new style is sweet). I want 4 door and V8 power. I am in the 50k price range. There is a lot of good cars out there and I have always been partial to GM but i dont want to regret it. I will only have car 2-3 years(till i am done with my masters in school) so it will never get out of warranty but i dont have patience to deal with repairs. Please any help is great. Thanks

heavymetals
09-21-05, 11:11 PM
We can't really help you until you GET ONE:histeric:

V Amazed
09-21-05, 11:52 PM
i love mine

Ben

AmesCTS-V
09-22-05, 12:12 AM
I can't think of anything I've complained about. The V rocks. No other car like it.

Dave's V
09-22-05, 12:30 AM
Let me try to understand this. You come to a "home board" of a car and ask if it is "really that bad"?

I love my V. After the rear end was replaced at 1700 miles, I have had pretty much no problems at all with around 14,000 miles of driving in the mountains. I almost laugh at the wimpy little engine imports trying to keep up with this car and I'm not even pushing it 100%.

Please by a different car so your lack of experience with driving will not cause our insurance rates to go up. Maybe they let you drive the car because they realized you or your family has some $$$.

Sorry to be a little rough, but these type of comments are starting to get old quick.

NoSlackCadillac
09-22-05, 12:44 AM
I have to echo the sentiments above. This car is great! I bought a Z06 and returned the next day for the V. All the performance I could ask for plus comfort for the long haul. The IRS isn't great for the strip, but I have lined up against guys with two foot wide tires and beat them to the other end. To see the car really shine though you need a place to go through turns at speed. Long story made short. Drive it. Drive it hard. Drive it on your daily commute. It won't disappoint.

GAGS-V
09-22-05, 04:11 AM
I love mine, what a great car! Don't know what you are talking about when you say pos (I know what it means). Can't wait to go drive all the time....

09-22-05, 08:17 AM
long thread ahoy

yeah. maybe folks should start posting some of their opinions of the CTS-V versus the SRT-8 on this thread. :stirpot:

CTSV05
09-22-05, 09:22 AM
Srt-8, Eeeeeeewwwwwww!

SilverBullet
09-22-05, 10:54 AM
I have been considering: NEW Audi A6 S-line 4.2 (330hp) allwheel drive all options exept nav(new grill i like); MB E500 (5L 302 hp) all options 05 8k miles; NEW M45 Infiniti all options (345hp)(new style is sweet). I want 4 door and V8 power. I am in the 50k price range.

If you would even CONSIDER one of those cars you should not buy a V. Check out the DTS. Sounds more your speed.

The fewer V's there are on the road, the more suckers there are at stoplights.:lildevil:

rgd
09-22-05, 12:32 PM
Hell no....the V is not a POS. I love my car, as do most of us. Heck, my kids and girlfriend tell me I should sleep in the garagre with the frickin thing!

Depending how old you are the car can actually make you act like a little :bouncy: kid again. :thumbsup:

Meater
09-22-05, 01:27 PM
thanks for all the replies. I am like 98% sure of geting the V. Going to get an 06. will be joining the crew soon. Thanks

trukk
09-22-05, 02:12 PM
I've had no dealer visits yet. I have a small list of gripes (wheel-hop, sloppy shifter). Fit and finish IMHO is excellent. My car has no rattles at all. I have 16,500 miles on it. Just replaced the F1's (could have got a few more thousand out of them, if I wanted to run down to slicks/threads).

On a whole, this is a spectacular car, and I have a smille everytime i get behind the wheel. I'd definately do it again.

I've said it before:

'The super model has a zit. She's still smokin hot though.'

If you can get by the few issues, then go for it. If you dwell on that one zit though, go buy a lexus (yawn).

Good luck,

Chris

05StealthGray
09-22-05, 04:23 PM
I've owned a lot of cars including BMWs, (wife has a X5 4.4L now) and the V is more trouble free than any of my BMWs and the caddy service is better than any BMW dealer I have ever utilized. The car is not perfect but it has a personality unlike the lexus, infiniti, etc. I have 7,000 miles and absolutely no problems at all, I drive it daily and drive it hard. I absolutely love this car, the only car that comes close is a Z06.

azombie
09-22-05, 06:10 PM
like ross said:

its not the car its the dealerships

RobzBLKV
09-22-05, 06:30 PM
I LOVE mine. I haven't had any of the problems that plague others yet, though, and my dealer is doing well for me at the moment. I can't think of another car that I would rather have that has a back seat.

2004ctsv
09-22-05, 07:26 PM
We get a little edgy on this board.

The V fits a nitch that is a little out of the main stream. The owners want to be a little different but not obnoxiously loud (well, most of us, anyways). You get the handling of a sports coupe, the versitility of a sedan and the ability to mod the shit out of it without looking like a ricer with a fart pipe.

If you want to attarct the attention of adolescent boys and big haired broads, you need to buy something else (read evo). If you're an old fart and want to relive the youth you never were, Viper is your car (get an open top to blow your toupee away). If you want to get something to satisfy your need for speed in a subtle way, this is the car

Tony

PS coupe can rhyme with toupee
PSS good luck with your choice. If you're lucky, it will be the V

Novi
09-22-05, 11:08 PM
Let me tell you how BAD the V is. Saturday, on the Los Angeles Fwy 10 west from downtown LA towards the beach, mid afternoon, medium traffic, late for an appointment, hitting holes in different lanes, passing people, not overzealous to be dangerous but making headway, came up on a new Porsche Turbo (still had paper on the plates). Went to swing around him and I guess I "woke up the sleeping dragon" he hit the hole first and "took off". Just to show him how BAD the V is I jumped on his back and hit every hole he hit, right on his rear bumper, left, right, straight for 7 to 8 miles. I wouldn't let him shake me until he exited towards West LA, but he gave me "thumbs up". My eyes were glued to the road, but I know we passed 100 a couple of times.

The V is the "only" car I've ever owned that could hang with the likes of a Turbo Porshe.
I'm 50 years and I can tell you I had an absolute ball:thepan:

THE V IS NOT A POS!!!!! ALL "high performance" cars have issues and will cost more money to maintain than the more genteel counterparts, understand this before you leap into ANY high performance" vehicle.