: 'weight saving' thread

AznPrydeRegalRyde
09-21-05, 06:19 PM
Hey guys. I've got a CTS and I want to turn it into a bit of a track car, maintaining its daily driving capability. I know Dado and Moores Motorsports have done track work, and I was just wondering where you guys would start to save weight? I'll be taking out the rear seat, spare tires, purchasing lighter wheels, and maybe even a sport luxury seat swap up front too. But thats all basic stuff. Where do I look from there?

kimcheejeegae
09-21-05, 06:39 PM
Hey guys. I've got a CTS and I want to turn it into a bit of a track car, maintaining its daily driving capability. I know Dado and Moores Motorsports have done track work, and I was just wondering where you guys would start to save weight? I'll be taking out the rear seat, spare tires, purchasing lighter wheels, and maybe even a sport luxury seat swap up front too. But thats all basic stuff. Where do I look from there?

personally, as great a chassis we have... you're looking at the wrong platform... BUT... if you must

Wheels, brakes, suspension, swap out front seats with some sparco or recaros, exhaust, take out a/c, upgrade driveshafts to CF or aluminum, swap out stock battery with a little tiny genesis, sunroof delete, get a half cage, rear seats and spare like you said

AznPrydeRegalRyde
09-21-05, 07:11 PM
personally, as great a chassis we have... you're looking at the wrong platform... BUT... if you must

Wheels, brakes, suspension, swap out front seats with some sparco or recaros, exhaust, take out a/c, upgrade driveshafts to CF or aluminum, swap out stock battery with a little tiny genesis, sunroof delete, get a half cage, rear seats and spare like you said

Just outta curiosity, which platform would you go with? I was tossing around the idea of the Solstice or a middle 90's MR2 for the same project.

That being said, lots of areas to start with, thanks for the help. Any links to where I can find a lighter driveshaft?

By the way, I always choose different projects. I've got one in the works now, to turn a last gen. Buick Regal into a turbocharged RWD T-56 beast, a modern GNX. I just like the slightly unusual. :)

kimcheejeegae
09-21-05, 07:23 PM
Just outta curiosity, which platform would you go with? I was tossing around the idea of the Solstice or a middle 90's MR2 for the same project.

That being said, lots of areas to start with, thanks for the help. Any links to where I can find a lighter driveshaft?

By the way, I always choose different projects. I've got one in the works now, to turn a last gen. Buick Regal into a turbocharged RWD T-56 beast, a modern GNX. I just like the slightly unusual. :)

Hands down... E36 M3... I forgot the fellas name... but he won the SCCA Solo auto-x with his silver E36 M3... fantastic handling car.... fantastic platform.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
09-21-05, 10:01 PM
Hands down... E36 M3... I forgot the fellas name... but he won the SCCA Solo auto-x with his silver E36 M3... fantastic handling car.... fantastic platform.
Ahhhh, yeah, thats a solid idea. Maybe Ill go that direction....
Thanks!

Drift-caddy
09-21-05, 10:06 PM
The M is a great car, but there is nothing wrong with the V, infact stock for stock the V does handle better then the M and parts are greater for the V. Well what to get rid of, well all depends on what you want. the seat along weigh almost 95lbs each. so start there, then get rid of air bags, radio,nav unit, carpet. geeesh the list goes on for evey. If you really need some help please email me at work.

thanks

damian
damianharney@moorecadillac.com

ps, if you look at dado web site dtmpower.net i think he is the bmw expert here and knows best about what car to drive.

Hey guys. I've got a CTS and I want to turn it into a bit of a track car, maintaining its daily driving capability. I know Dado and Moores Motorsports have done track work, and I was just wondering where you guys would start to save weight? I'll be taking out the rear seat, spare tires, purchasing lighter wheels, and maybe even a sport luxury seat swap up front too. But thats all basic stuff. Where do I lo
ok from there?

ace996
09-21-05, 11:01 PM
I'd have to second an E36 M3 for a track car, especially if that is where your focus would be. With the proper bracing/suspension/engine work, a properly prepped e36 is a track animal to be feared. There is SOOOO much aftermarket support for the car, sooo many experienced tuners/fabricators, that with the proper plan there are few vehicles that have as much potential.

steve711
09-21-05, 11:43 PM
with the proper plan there are few vehicles that have as much potential.
Ok big Q with as much tuning will the V run with it?

ace996
09-22-05, 12:39 AM
Without a question, the V's engine is second to none when discussing a track. There's torque, massive power, and its just about bullet-proof. However, the engine is only one aspect of a track car...and in my opinion, the suspension is more important than the engine. As demonstrated on Speed TV, with the CTS-VR, the V has potential to do some major damage on a race-track but I believe that it would require just too much money/gutting/fabrication to do so. Without cutting out massive weight, and adding bodywork to allow MUCH wider tires, the V will not be as competitive. Just for example...a slightly modded Evo or STi can make similar power, weigh much less, and have LARGER rubber than the V. Think about it, a 3000lb car with 350awhp and 275s on all four corners...that's a very difficult combination to beat. There are more than a dozen suspension companies that make parts for those cars and just about everything is cheaper. Now that's not the example I brought up earlier...used Evo's and STis are going for 20-25K, so its a little more than the 10-15K for an E36 M3. That would still be much cheaper than turning a V into a track-animal. Hell, just allowing the V to run 275s or more on the wheels is going to run over 5K...with rims/tires/fenderflares/minitubs.

Please keep in mind that I'm not bashing the V, I love the car. It has major abilities bone stock and a good driver can embarass most any car on the track if the V is driven the right way, but to make the V a real track-animal, something that can hang with well prepped triedandtrue track cars driven by competent drivers, well...it will just take way too much money in my book. And you'll wind up making the car a stripped-out shit-box that isn't worth a damn on the street.

With a little work... perhaps the seats, sways,rims/tires, and adjustable suspension...the V can be a serious street weapon/ track-day car. It would still keep most of its civility, while improving its manners on the track. Minimum, the first thing I'd change is rubber. The V has more ability it its stock state that is hampered by its tires. Put wider tires on the car and it will address the easiest way to improve the car on a track.

For under $20K, though, you'd be able to build a pretty good '95 M3 that will make you a better driver in the long run. Using hp to compensate for handling/ability is a crutch that will only make your learning curve slow. Learn to go fast in a slow car, and you'll be untouchable in a fast one.
Good luck,
ace996

a64pilot
09-22-05, 07:05 AM
Are we sure he has a V? his sig say's CTS sport is that a six cyl? Is a CTS sport up to the job?

AznPrydeRegalRyde
09-22-05, 09:42 AM
Are we sure he has a V? his sig say's CTS sport is that a six cyl? Is a CTS sport up to the job?

Good observation! I do 'only' have a 3.6L sport.lux with the 6spd tranny. BUT! I just sold my mid 12 sec. F250 PSD and I'm just counting the days until '06 V's are for sale. :)