: Ground Control Needs a V or CTS

ace996
09-21-05, 05:58 PM
I spoke with Ground Control today regarding a coilover kit for the CTS-CTSV. They would like to take a look at the rear-end, to see if they can adapt an existing kit to our suspension mounts. They are located close to Sacramento, CA. For background of where this comes from, please refer to this thread...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52395

So, if anyone with a V or CTS would take a visit to GC, we might be able to address the lowering/stiffer spring needs of the performance minded pilots.

Thanks,
ace996

5andunder
09-21-05, 06:34 PM
Pretty close to Sac. might be willing to let them look at my car... Who should I contact?
TR

Seattle CTS-V
09-21-05, 07:41 PM
Thanks to everyone and anyone who is putting their time and car out there to get this coilover kit in the works! I know many of us are watching these threads closely. Mmmmm, coilovers!

kimcheejeegae
09-21-05, 07:48 PM
hrmm.. this gets me thinking...

i know a couple people who work for H&R... and they are local to me.. i wonder if they've done or considered working on getting a coilover kit for the V.

Drift-caddy
09-21-05, 10:54 PM

i know a couple people who work for H&R... and they are local to me.. i wonder if they've done or considered working on getting a coilover kit for the V.

Or you can call us and have a tested and perfect coilover setup for your ctsv, there is no better coil over out there, and this kit is made to your spec, road racing, drag, or just having fun. Sure you can buy some other cheaper coil over, but why not have the best.

Thanks
Damian

ace996
09-21-05, 11:44 PM
Damian,
I'd love to have the best...I'm just not looking to take out a home-equity loan to get them. I'll bite though...which ones and how much? Do you have pictures? Any data?
There is such little info on suspension bits for the V, its depressing...and the reason why I'm on this quest. Again, any info you can share with us would be helpful. Perhaps your system is exactly what some people want, even though they don't yet know it. Thanks for your help.

5andunder,
I spoke with Dale today, he said have someone call for him or Jay. Their contact info:
Ground Control Suspension Systems
3885 Dividend Dr
Shingle Springs, California 95682
(530)677-8600

The coilover system GC would probably make would be a spring-and-collar system, without the shocks. We would use our stock or FG2 shocks with the package, where the spring/collar slips over our front shocks, and in the rear it may mount where our stock springs reside...just with height adjustability. The beauty of their kits is that the springs can be ordered with just about any length and spring-rate combination, so one person can have a slightly dropped yet comfortable ride...while someone else can have a lower drop with much stiffer, performance oriented ride.
Most of GC's kits run under $500, so an affordable system is a possibility.
Anyone else have any ideas? This aspect of the V, the suspension, really needs addressing.
Ve good,
ace996

Drift-caddy
09-22-05, 12:00 AM
Well it would be nice if GC steps up and joins us here.:suspense: Anyways our coil over is a true coil over both frt and rear. you can have a 400lbs spring if you want or a 1100lbs spring, its up to you. you can adjust height as well. or you can get our triple adjustable coil overs. Yes, and you are correct, price is very costly, but then again, there is nothing else like it. We also will set your V susp for the way you want it. Well i will see if i can find some more pic at work and post them up. thanks

Damian

Damian,
I'd love to have the best...I'm just not looking to take out a home-equity loan to get them. I'll bite though...which ones and how much? Do you have pictures? Any data?
There is such little info on suspension bits for the V, its depressing...and the reason why I'm on this quest. Again, any info you can share with us would be helpful. Perhaps your system is exactly what some people want, even though they don't yet know it. Thanks for your help.

5andunder,
I spoke with Dale today, he said have someone call for him or Jay. Their contact info:
Ground Control Suspension Systems
3885 Dividend Dr
Shingle Springs, California 95682
(530)677-8600

The coilover system GC would probably make would be a spring-and-collar system, without the shocks. We would use our stock or FG2 shocks with the package, where the spring/collar slips over our front shocks, and in the rear it may mount where our stock springs reside...just with height adjustability. The beauty of their kits is that the springs can be ordered with just about any length and spring-rate combination, so one person can have a slightly dropped yet comfortable ride...while someone else can have a lower drop with much stiffer, performance oriented ride.
Most of GC's kits run under $500, so an affordable system is a possibility.
Anyone else have any ideas? This aspect of the V, the suspension, really needs addressing.
Ve good,
ace996

ace996
09-22-05, 12:05 AM
Thank you, Damian, I appreciate the info and look forward to the pics and other details.
Ve good,
ace996

calicadi
09-22-05, 12:46 AM
Looking forward to your reply as well Damian.

Ace... Talked to Roger Kraus Racing, they were not interested in the fabrication aspect but are convinced that there is something out there, probably derivitive of Corvette that could be used. In all honesty, I don't think they've ever seen a V up close. With Moore active in this V community I'm certainly going to give there product close attention. The price point will be important of course.

I'm about two hours from Sacramento proper. I gotta look at mapquest and see where Shingle Springs really is.

ace996
09-22-05, 01:10 AM
Calicadi,
Thanks for talking to RKR. Its strange that there is literally a black hole when it comes to suspension for the V or CTS. I really thought that there would be some players when it came to a real-American-sportsedan that could handle. The offerings from Mallett(Penske) are just ridiculous when it comes to cost...unless you're making money racing, I can't justify spending $4500-5000 on coilovers. Other than that, what is there? QA1s are adjustable shocks, but don't have a coilover spring to adjust height.
Thankfully Hotchkis is releasing a beefed up sway-bar kit, so high-g roll can be reduced, but a 1" drop would do wonders with a 20% increase in rate.

Hopefully, there will be choices for us in the future. I've had Koni shocks/struts before and was very impressed with the quality/adjustability/cost. 4 years of hard autoxing and no loss of performance or ride. I may send my stock shocks to Koni NA so they can at least try to find a compatable replacement...we'll see. The spring issue needs to be addressed first, though.

Thank you, all who've responded with interest/aid/info/ect. Funny though, I didn't think there was much of a possibility for profit addressing the V's suspension...until GC asked if the CTS had the same geometry...!!!!! then it hit. A proper kit for the V would work on the CTS, and there are many more of those running around.

Dreamin
09-22-05, 02:19 AM
5andunder, please post if you decide not to give GC your car... i can give them my car.

kimcheejeegae
09-22-05, 03:31 AM
Or you can call us and have a tested and perfect coilover setup for your ctsv, there is no better coil over out there, and this kit is made to your spec, road racing, drag, or just having fun. Sure you can buy some other cheaper coil over, but why not have the best.

Thanks
Damian

ok you have my full attention... which manufacturer? please don't say eibach.

5andunder
09-22-05, 01:40 PM
Will do I will be on the phone w/ them this morning. I am going to Asia for two weeks so it might work out well for me. Will let you know.

ace996
09-22-05, 11:52 PM
Any news??? ? ?

rgd
09-23-05, 01:05 AM
FYI:
I have been talking to H&R for months. About two months ago I was told they finally finished R&D and had released the design to production. But I have been told repedly that it will be 6-8 weeks or more. They cant tell me spring rates because they don't want to play into the specsmanship game blablabla, understandable.
All they have been able to tell me is when they see the springs on a shipping list of parts on the water, then they will have a date for delivery. Springs only though.

Dreamin
12-07-05, 09:43 PM
Been talking to Dale at GC at length this week... took all the pics and measurements of the stock setup he asked for... he is very sure they can do a coil-over kit for our car. Price for everything (you pick spring rate) should be $500.

They seem very excited about doing this kit... and when I asked "Do you have an expectation for minimum quantity you have to sell before you'll make the kit?"... he said, "No... if we make just the prototype and sell no more, so be it... We want to make this kit".

Anyway, making a short story very long, I'm dropping off my car Monday... they'll need it for a week +/-

Will keep everyone posted...

BowenCT
12-07-05, 09:50 PM
And there you have it folks, the Post of the Day!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dreamin!

CVP33
12-07-05, 09:55 PM
Whoa, just whoa. A vendor "excited" to develop parts for us V enthusiasts. I'm literally overcome. :cloud9:

ace996
12-07-05, 11:08 PM
The magic post...only thing better would be that they are taking orders. :yup:

Dreamin,
Personally, I can't thank you enough for stepping up. I'm guessing that 450 number dug it's way deep...:thumbsup:

The great thing about this is that GCs kits usually allow the user to specify spring-rate and allow the user to set their own ride-height.

And guys, keep in mind that a kit for the V will also be applicable to the CTS...
-ace

calicadi
12-08-05, 12:54 AM
Been talking to Dale at GC at length this week... took all the pics and measurements of the stock setup he asked for... he is very sure they can do a coil-over kit for our car. Price for everything (you pick spring rate) should be $500.

They seem very excited about doing this kit... and when I asked "Do you have an expectation for minimum quantity you have to sell before you'll make the kit?"... he said, "No... if we make just the prototype and sell no more, so be it... We want to make this kit".

Anyway, making a short story very long, I'm dropping off my car Monday... they'll need it for a week +/-

Will keep everyone posted...

U da' man!:worship: Thanks for your commitment!

On a selfish note...Can we assume this will make use of the existing attachment points? That's kinda crucial to me in order to stay in Street Touring class. Thanks again.

Dreamin
12-08-05, 02:47 AM
On a selfish note...Can we assume this will make use of the existing attachment points?
Yes.

VELOSE
12-08-05, 04:26 AM
Dreamin, if all this comes true, and we get a quality coilover for our V's through GC, I'll get you the best bottle of Tequila I can find.:alchi:

TXSilverV
12-08-05, 10:45 AM
I will buy a kit from them so you can count on a order from me if they make it. I also have the factory springs in the garage if they need to use them for something. I was going to take the eibachs off this week but I will just wait and see on this thread.

Dreamin
12-08-05, 03:17 PM
Dreamin, if all this comes true, and we get a quality coilover for our V's through GC, I'll get you the best bottle of Tequila I can find.:alchi:

Patron Silver please :bouncy:

VELOSE
12-08-05, 03:32 PM

Patron Silver it is..... ;)

calicadi
12-08-05, 10:15 PM
Yes.
Oh yea, baby. That's the ticket! I'll chip in on that bottle!

I was gonna say something about a group buy, but you know what... if they do this for us they deserve their profit margin. With their profit maybe they can put that toward supporting vendor membership.

thebigjimsho
12-09-05, 01:44 PM
Man, if this happens, I'd think of paying for their Supporting Vendor Membership myself. And a bottle from me as well, Dreamin.

please please please please please...............

I was seriously considering what it would take to get the Mallett setup.:helpless:

VELOSE
12-09-05, 02:12 PM
No doubt, I was thinking of forking out the $4k for the Mallet too. However, this has shed some much needed light at the end of the tunnel on this journey to an affordable coilover. I hope GC is successful in their attempt.

For now I'm going to do the Wildwhl mod in back. At the same time do the Dynamat mod as well to keep the exhaust from resonating inside. That should keep me happy until GC comes out with their kit. :D

m3driver
12-09-05, 03:22 PM

Tell Dale I said hi when you drop off your car. If I had known he needed a V I would have given him mine to drive back from Thill this weekend! Dale was one of my co-drivers at the 25 Hour Enduro.

see below - the in car video is of one of his laps at night. Unfortunately they didn't list his name in the write up.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=10380

Marco

Dreamin
12-09-05, 09:34 PM
Ahhh... you're Marco... Dale mentioned you and that he wanted to borrow your car at some point... I was just anxious to get the party started, so I volunteered my car.

I suspect he'll look you up and you'll probably be prototype kit #2... he wanted you do do some testing with it too. I am planning on testing different spring rates on track at Thunderhill... testing would go faster if there were two testers :D

ace996
12-09-05, 11:29 PM
Dreamin,
If you would, tell Dale I'll volunteer to help development. I'm also curious to know how they're going to address the Nivomats; I'd assume it's going to be something along the lines of WW's mod...perhaps a pillow-ball rear shock mount.

Also, Dreamin, they might be able to find a fitment of shocks to mate to the coilover spring kit. The shock/strut arm of GC is Advance Design, and many people have nothing but good things to say about their work. Again, should they need stock shocks for testing...I have them in my garage.

Thanks again for taking the steps needed.
-ace

Here's a link that I've found a great deal of good info. -
http://www.whiteline.com.au/default.asp?page=/faqsprings.htm

Dreamin
12-10-05, 01:40 AM
If you would, tell Dale I'll volunteer to help development.
Will do.

Also, Dreamin, they might be able to find a fitment of shocks to mate to the coilover spring kit. The shock/strut arm of GC is Advance Design, and many people have nothing but good things to say about their work. Again, should they need stock shocks for testing...I have them in my garage.

I ran Advanced Design shocks (with GC coilovers) on a previous car... a bit expensive (mine were DA's) but i agee, a great shock...
Funny thing is we talked about shocks and they are thinking adjustable Koni's as an add-on option. They didn't bring up Advanced Design... will discuss further with them.

They will have my stock shocks to work from... but if they need them, anyone have a set of FG2 they could borrow?

m3driver
12-10-05, 02:33 AM
Ahhh... you're Marco... Dale mentioned you and that he wanted to borrow your car at some point... I was just anxious to get the party started, so I volunteered my car.

I suspect he'll look you up and you'll probably be prototype kit #2... he wanted you do do some testing with it too. I am planning on testing different spring rates on track at Thunderhill... testing would go faster if there were two testers :D

Dale's a good guy. I need to get a cooler in the V before I take it back to Thill again.

I slept in the V for about 2 hours sunday morning at about 3am while Dale was out driving the Subie STi. The seat warmers make the thing pretty comfy in the cold NoCal night.

What's a good alignment setting that folks use on the V? I'm taking mine into the shop that sponsors my racecar on Wednesday and we're going to throw it up on the Hunter Alignment rack to get a base line. They want to open up their rack for custom alignments to marques other than BMWs. And I'm tired of feathering the outside of the front tires....