: spark plug wires?

cozmo1
09-21-05, 01:55 PM
hello,
i just received my new wires part#748j and spark plugs for my 96 deville with the n*. i noticed that my wires on the car are numbered for each cylinder. the new wires are not numbered at all. is this normal?
thanks

mcowden
09-21-05, 02:15 PM
hello,
i just received my new wires part#748j and spark plugs for my 96 deville with the n*. i noticed that my wires on the car are numbered for each cylinder. the new wires are not numbered at all. is this normal?
thanks

Yes, it is normal. When you're replacing them, remove one wire at a time. Match it up in length with a new wire, mark the new wire with the cylinder number, replace the plug, then connect the wire and route it appropriately, preferably using the original looms and ties, and then move to the next cylinder.

Hopefully that makes sense. Let us know if you have any questions or issues and someone will jump in to help you out. You'll be happy with the way it runs when you're all done!

cozmo1
09-21-05, 02:22 PM
thank you :thumbsup: should be a breeze. :)

EcSTSatic
09-22-05, 09:01 PM
Make sure you feel a "click" when you install them.

cozmo1
09-23-05, 08:36 PM
thanks for the tip. wow! what a difference! glad i replaced the wires/plugs.

mcowden
09-23-05, 09:49 PM
thanks for the tip. wow! what a difference! glad i replaced the wires/plugs.

That's great news, cozmo1... Glad to hear it worked out for you, and thanks for coming back to let us know how it turned out. Hope you'll visit again when you have other questions about your Cadillac. There are lots of good maintenance and repair tips available here if you haven't already found them.

cozmo1
09-24-05, 01:26 PM
thanks for the welcome mcowden. i have been browsing this sight for a while now and i have learned alot about my deville. thanks to everyone here for all the help and tips :)

coppertop
09-27-05, 08:56 PM
Hi there, does anybody know if there is a good aftermarket wire set besides the AC Delco stuff. I allmost had a heart attack when I got a quote from the dealership.

danbuc
09-27-05, 09:28 PM
Well, first off, you shoudl not be buying them from the dealership, but rather places liek http://www.rockauto.com for example, who sell them for much less.

Second, there really is no better wire other than some 8-9mm wires with are kind of pointless. Most other aftermarket wires have less insulation, and result in more elctrical noise. Some people have had it so bad with aftermarket wires, that it has taken out the blower motor, do to the electrical interference. You can't go wrong with the AC Declo wires, and as long as you get a decent price, there just as good, if not better than anything out there on the market right now. Some companies advertise that their wires have xxxx Resistance per foot, but heavy duty wires, which in most cases were designed specifically for race applications, or overkill for the N*. Basic AC Delco wires, and AC Delco Platinum plugs are all you'll ever need for your engine.

coppertop
09-27-05, 09:57 PM
Thanks danbuc but I'm living in Toronto Canada. By the time I get the wires shipped to me, pay brokerage and duty, I might as well buy the wires from the dealer.

mcowden
09-27-05, 10:49 PM
Thanks danbuc but I'm living in Toronto Canada. By the time I get the wires shipped to me, pay brokerage and duty, I might as well buy the wires from the dealer.

Hi coppertop - You are right, the wires are more expensive, but they were engineered to work well on the car, and they were tested and proven to work well on the car. Any other brand of wire was never tested, so you might pay a little less, but you're doing the testing for them and they are probably not engineered to work well in the Northstar application. You can use whatever you want on it if you don't want to pay for the Delcos. Bosch makes a set and so does Standard. I found three parts shops in Toronto that supposedly carry the AC Delco wire sets. Try one of these:

1. AVENUE MOTOR WORKS INC.
555 OAKDALE ROAD, TORONTO, ON M3N1W7
phone: (416) 747-2800 / fax: (416) 747-0214
email: mail@avenueparts.com

2. GENERAL AUTO PARTS
66 RONSON DRIVE, TORONTO, ON M9W1B6
phone: (416) 743-4921 / fax: (416) 743-7150
email: martaw@generalautoparts.com

3. JOHN COCHRANE AUTO ELECTRIC LTD.
44 CHAUNCEY AVE., TORONTO, ON M8Z2X2
phone: (416) 236-1641 / fax: (416) 236-3302
email: cochraneauto@idirect.om

If they can get you a better price on the wire set, I think you will be much happier in the long run with the set that was made for and tested with your car. What year and model do you need the wire set for anyway?

EcSTSatic
09-28-05, 09:08 AM
By the AC Delcos or look at Magnecors. Both have been used on this forum with excellent results. Don't waste your money on cheap look-a-likes. Read these threads; wires (http://cadillacforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=25255)

coppertop
10-07-05, 01:32 AM
Hi coppertop - You are right, the wires are more expensive, What year and model do you need the wire set for anyway?

Thanks mcowden, I ended up buying the wires from the Dealer ( A friend of mine works in the parts department and got me a great deal). I bought the wires for my 95 STS. I changed wires and plugs but it still seems at idle a little rough when warm like it has a slight miss. I'm thinking it might be a coil pack.:hmm: