: Lingenfelter CAI installed last night...very irritated @ snorkel

kimcheejeegae
09-21-05, 02:03 PM
What does brown do for me?

They delivered my LPE CAI... yipee! Thanks AMESCTS-V! I guess he got sick of the whistling noise....I drove around about 20 miles last night after I installed it and haven't heard anything but the sucking of the intake when my window is down. <fingers crossed>

All i have to say about the install is !@#$#$@#$@#$!$@%@$#@%%#^%@%$@!$$!@$!$!@#$@@%.... one..... the installation instructions.. heh.. on page 4 where you're supposed to remove the rubber snorkel... ummmm YEAH! It fails to mention that it's held on with those stupid plastic rivet clips in 3 locations which is behind the grill, next to the radiator, beneath the radiator support where one of my fat hands barely can fit... and not to mention that these rivets are in "reverse" so I can't just stick my flathead in there and pop the top and to add insult to injury there's metal o-rings around the back end of the rivet...

After an hour of cussing, yelping, tearing up my knuckles, kicking boxes and smoking a cigarette.... i throw myself over my engine bay.. my head is upside down looking through the stupid space where the rubber snorkel sits with a drop light shining from the front of the car. Finally... I can see the stupid rivets... so instead of popping them... I take my flathead and stretch the rubber snorkel piece over each rivet and after what seemed like an eternity... on top of another eternity... the stupid rubber snorkel came free!! I raised my arms in victory, threw the rubber piece on the ground and kicked it across the garage. My buddy who had his car on the lift looks over at me and shakes his head.

http://a6world.schwanks.com/misc/LPECAI.jpg

The rest of the install was a piece of cake... until I hit the MAF!! WTF? I went to school.. I'm a freaking computer engineer... I should be able to figure this out. So I'm looking at the MAF housing and looking at the silicone tubing that's supposed to connect to the MAF housing which then connects to the big @ss K&N.... well to make a long story short... I didn't take off the stock rubber seal around the MAF housing... somehow put the MAF on backwards and for the life of me couldn't get the stupid intake tube that goes to the throttle body to mate up with the MAF. So here I am again.. kicking and cussing.... AGAIN!

I look at the picture in the instructions and look at my set up.... <repeat 10 times>... THANK THE HEAVNLY FATHER FOR PICTURES... I had it backwards and all wrong.

In anycase.. the CAI is on... no weird noises... I can't tell if there's a difference.....maybe a little more reponsiveness... but oh well...it's another mod. Besides...I live my life one mod at a time.

StealthV
09-21-05, 02:11 PM
Thank you for expressing my thoughts as well. :highfive:

The MAF to filter connection is pretty hokey. :nono: Check your filter after a few drives to make sure it is still attached to the MAF tube - the filter *may* have a tendency to fall off. :mad2:

trekster
09-21-05, 02:17 PM
I think we all had the same problem. I just ended up cutting that piece of $hit.

Seattle CTS-V
09-21-05, 03:04 PM
Damn dude, I'm gonna have to spend a bunch more money just to keep up with you (not that I can even drive as well as you anyway). Wanna help me put my Magnaflow exhaust on? It should be here tomorrow. :wish:

Joey'sVee
09-21-05, 03:10 PM
I have never heard the LCAIK whistle. It does suck air in when I punch it but that's it. No whistle at all for me.

kimcheejeegae
09-21-05, 03:23 PM
Damn dude, I'm gonna have to spend a bunch more money just to keep up with you (not that I can even drive as well as you anyway). Wanna help me put my Magnaflow exhaust on? It should be here tomorrow. :wish:

Doood... hell yeah I'll help you with your exhaust... you can bring your car over to the garage and we'll put it on the lift!!

email me.. kimcheebowl@gmail.com

heavymetals
09-21-05, 03:30 PM
I think a lot of the whistle can be traced to the air travelling through the mesh.

After a while it goes away (it did with mine).

Now all I get is maggie whine (a good thing).:thumbsup: :histeric:

Yeah good luck getting that snorkel removed.

I ended up tearing the thing out then drilling the rivets when I had the front facia off.

Luna.
09-21-05, 04:39 PM
LMAO Kimchee...

Your post and picture cracked me up!! :histeric:

09-21-05, 05:00 PM
LOL. you would have had less trouble looking through the snorkel if you would have taken the coolie hat off first.

kimcheejeegae
09-21-05, 05:19 PM
LOL. you would have had less trouble looking through the snorkel if you would have taken the coolie hat off first.

heh.. the coolie hat was off... the picture i posted was taken from lingenfelter's website. what a pain!

Sandyfoot-V
09-21-05, 07:27 PM
More Performance CAI. No whistle. Install was a pain due to the radiator-loving rubber snorkle. Before I knew how the plastic pins worked, I just beat them apart with a hammer and screwdriver. :thumbsup: I've not had the problem with slicing the filter connection that others have had. I agree with StealthV: the filter-MAF connection is lame-o. I hated the Corsa pop, but love the TB air slurp at WOT!! :yup:

lawfive
09-21-05, 07:41 PM
Check your filter after a few drives to make sure it is still attached to the MAF tube - the filter *may* have a tendency to fall off. :mad2:

Ha! "May," indeed. "Shall" is more like it.

DarkKnight
09-21-05, 08:01 PM
Here is how I took my snorkle off. I removed the shrowd over the grill and upper radiator support. Then stuck my arm (left arm as I faced the car) into the opening with the hood latch mechanism. I then pulled the rubber over the plastic fasteners and removed the snorkle. I would say this took less than ten minutes.

riverrat
09-21-05, 08:08 PM
Don't leave home without your 5/16 nutdriver for the filter clamp. As Rick says they "may" have a tendency to fall off :yup:

kimcheejeegae
09-21-05, 08:25 PM
Don't leave home without your 5/16 nutdriver for the filter clamp. As Rick says they "may" have a tendency to fall off :yup:

man that sucks... i keep a screwdriver in the car... now when people ask why.. i can stop saying "so I can stab a hijacker"... to... "so that I can put my air filter back on" =P

willsctsv
09-21-05, 08:54 PM
I get a slight whistle only between 2250 and 2750 rpms, that is where the throttle is cracked open. I can live with that. The rest of the time you hear my exhaust as I blow past you and leave most :hmm: ,:wtf: was that a Caddy???

Jay VDC
09-21-05, 09:36 PM
damn, i just ordered my cai from them... i hope i don't run into too many problems. i'm at college so workspace and time is a factor. why does everything have to be a pain in the ass. any tips on the install? sarcastic and or really helpful?

i also ordered some z06 covers (all smiles!) i love them. thank you rick!

urbanski
09-21-05, 11:28 PM
here's the pic of all the crap i ripped out of mine trying to get that damn snorkel out LOL
bet i took too much, but whatever, no whistle and it doesn't ingest water :)
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4995/lpe34ph.th.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lpe34ph.jpg)

edit: cleaned up the title a bit, those characters got annoying

rand49er
09-21-05, 11:41 PM
Okay, I've seen the best kill-story graphics about the 5.0 'stang, now I've seen the best mod-install graphics ... the older I get, the better life gets. Yeah, baby !!! :histeric:

AmesCTS-V
09-22-05, 12:10 AM
The snorkel is horrible to remove. Glad to hear you don't have any whistle.

NoSlackCadillac
09-22-05, 01:01 AM
I feel your pain. I gave up the first time I tried to de-snorkle. Eventually, I ended up pulling the whole nose piece of the car. The upper and lower grills and all the way to the wheel wells comes out fairly easily as one piece. There were lots of those little two-step plastic fasteners, but they work as designed and are quick to pull and quick to put in. Once the nose piece was off, I drilled out the rivets holding the snorkle.

I had put off doing for a while b/c it seemed like a bigger job than it turned out to be.

ntechnic
09-22-05, 02:50 AM
I too just stretched the rubber over the rivet heads. I took my time, was very careful with all steps, and it was about an hour.

By the way, here's how to interpret manufacturers installation claims:

"Easy bolt on" = trimming, fitting, cutting, hammering, etc.,

"Minor modifications" = cutting, welding, metal forming, and custom machining

"Major modifications" = building a new car from wheels up

BlackDog!
09-22-05, 12:37 PM
I did the same install about a month ago. Snorkel was a pain but the rivets pop out if you pull the head up......took me from about 11:30pm till 12:15 to get it on.....

Magnaflow goes on this Sunday....hopefully that will go smoother...

Great graphics by the way...

ylwjacket
09-22-05, 06:11 PM
I did the same thing. Intake came in during the day, I went out to install after the kids went to bed about 10:30. Figured it would be easy enough. A few cuts, a few bruises, and about 1 1/2 hours later, I had the damn snorkel out, and the rest of it went in in about 10 minutes. I figured I somehow screwed it up - like the snorkel wasn't supposed to come out - because it didn't say anything about bleeding, bruising, and cursing in the instructions.

heavymetals
09-22-05, 06:34 PM
That is known as making a blood sacrifice to your car.:worship:

Seems as though someone intended for that air strangulation device (snorkel) to never come out!

Another example of science triumphing over superstition.:alchi: