: R/r water pump

lido
11-28-03, 12:57 AM
I recieved my water pump tool today.Looks like simple proceedure put the tool and use a 1/2 inch breaker bar,but it wont budge its real tight.Did any one succefully did this kind of work?Do I have to use an impact or just brute force?
Help...The Instruction said clockwise to remove and I carefully looked at the impeller and it looks like clockwise to remove.

elwesso
11-28-03, 01:03 AM
Well id use brute force..... maybe get an even longer breaker bar.....

growe3
11-28-03, 02:02 PM
I have replaced two of the Northstar water pumps.

Each time, I have had to use a 1/2" breaker bar with 24" of cheater pipe to break them loose.

Rotate clockwise to remove.

Be careful when it pops loose it is quick.

Clean the O-ring recess very carefully; I used a slim screwdriver then followed with a small brass brush for the general area.

I also wiped the O-ring with a little dielectric grease, so the pump would easily tighten back in place.

-George

lido
11-28-03, 06:00 PM
George,
Thanks for the reply it is nice to hear from someone who realy have done this job,I will look for a bigger pipe that I can use to extend my breaker bar.Did you use the Astropnumatic tool or the more expensive shceley tool?

growe3
11-30-03, 06:16 PM
Lido,
I used a Lisle water pump wrench. There are a few others out there also but the Lisle worked just fine.

It is very important to get a good "bite" on it before applying the strong turning load.

The link below is to an online tool site that has the wrench for sale.

http://www.toolsource.com/ost1/product.asp?sourceid=NO+SOURCE&dept%5Fid=500&pf%5Fid=90506&mscssid=PTBV59L243T12GVU00J74FSAN19DFK1C