: side curtain airbags and children

matia
09-20-05, 09:22 PM
Do any of you have any thoughts on children and the side curtain airbags. I heard that you should get the dealer to turn off the rear curtain airbags if you will be putting children in the rear seat beside the door. I am picking up my 2006 cts-v this week and want to know what to do.

urbanski
09-20-05, 09:26 PM
hmmm. i have my child seat on the side. the curtain bags don't fly out too far do they? not enough to whack the kid.

matia
09-20-05, 09:33 PM
I have a friend who has a relative who is an engineer with chrysler who ordered him a jeep cherokee and made him order it without the curtain air bags in the rear. How does that affect us, I don't know.

Florian
09-20-05, 10:42 PM
I put a little rubber hand on my airbag, so when it deploys the rugrat gets it across the face.

F

Dave's V
09-20-05, 11:20 PM
I like Florian's answer the best. Personally, I would keep it armed. An insurance company or another person could have a field day if their child or themselves were injured because you disarmed a safety feature. Trucks have it on the front seat if they don't have a back seat.

I think the owners manual says something like it is better to put any child in the middle. (Like there is enough room)

matia
09-20-05, 11:57 PM
what if you have more than one kid...

1MEANV
09-20-05, 11:59 PM
Sol

1MEANV
09-21-05, 12:00 AM
Strap Them To The Roof. That Is What I Do With The Wife. Lol

ctsvett
09-21-05, 01:24 AM
a cutaway picture with the airbags deployed is on the FAQ... Not sure where and cant look it up now.

Reed

msheri01
09-21-05, 08:15 AM
The side curtain air bag is one piece. It deploys across the roofline. You cannot deactivate the rear without activating the front. For a side impact crash to deploy them, it will be severe enough that the curtain airbag will be better than none at all. If the child is very small, they will be short enough seated that the air bag will be over their head.

RobzBLKV
09-21-05, 05:19 PM
Air bag problems for children are caused from the air bag pushing them into the seat (in front). They can also completely cover the head, resulting in breathing problems. I don't see how side air bags present any kind of risk. I am not, however, any kind of expert.

Matia, unless your friend designs air bag protection systems for automobiles, the fact that he/she is an engineer is anecdotal at best.

Lanman
09-21-05, 10:26 PM
According to the NHTSA our cars' side air bags are safe for children. Check out the following two links for good information on the subject.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/airbags/pages/SABFAQs.htm

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/SideAirBags.cfm