: Going to be buying a SRX - have a few Q's

Xadion
09-20-05, 11:28 AM
Hello all, new here and glad to have found you all. I have read a few pages of posts seemingly relevant and done searches so I am sorry if I duplicate some questions that may be answered that I did not find.

In a month or so I will be going out an seraching for a used SRX and have decided on a few things that I would like sudgestions on-

I have decided on the V6, the V8's proformance numbers are quite impressive but I would like something with better gas mileage than my current v6 GMC Jimmy. Anyone have some real life numbers on the V6?

DVD Navigation- is it worth looking for factory or is 3rd party just as good/better?

Can anyone throw me a list of the recalls or GM service things that /should/ have been done to all SRX's

Reading of all the "problems" what milerange should I be looking at- would one with 10k+ miles be more desireable than one with sub 2k? haveing the kinks already worked out as it has been used some?

I also have decided that the ultraview is something I would rather not deal with, much like the Envoy XUV's read hatch and I want the magnetic ride controll- anyone have exp with non and magnetic?

I am a GM owner sence I have been able to drive- haveing already owned 2 GMC Jimmys SUV's that even now and 100k+ drive smooth and strong with nothing but regular matinance. All current GM options on SUV's provide a Vue-or its clones or an Envoy/TB those are too large for my tastes and the SRX fits the form that I want, and the style I preffer and allowing me to stay american and in the GM famialy.

Thank you for your time and help in advance! :worship:

Don73
09-20-05, 11:43 AM
As far as gas mileage goes, the V6 is only 1 - 2 mpg better than the V8, and considering with a V8 a lot of the equipment came standard and was optional with the V6. (I have the V8 and love it).

DVD Navigation - It does a great job. My wife uses it everywhere she goes, and is lost without it. It's very easy to use, and responds to vioce commands.

I've taken mine in for two recalls. One was for a airbag module, and the other was for a defective bolt in the front suspension. The only problem I've had was the rear window washer got clogged, which was fixed under warranty.

I have the Ultraview and have not had any problems with it, but others on this forum have had problems. So that's a toss up.

I have a 2004, and have 18K on the odometer. I don't have the magnetic ride control, having test driven both before I ordered mine, I couldn't justify the almost 2K additional cost. I did notice a difference between the two, but only over such things as railroad tracks.

inline6
09-20-05, 03:49 PM
Our V6 AWD gets 17s in town and ~ 21 on the freeway running mid to upper 70s. Other than recalls, we had ours in for a broken gas door latch and CD initializing. If the car you look at has either problem, you will know it right away.
We drove both a Mag Ride and standard suspension version. The Mag rode better, but was not worth having to go to the 1SC package to get it.
The only reason I would shy away from a very low mileage car would be based on its service history. If you find a car you like, have a Cad dealer run the serial number to see its service history.
Check the NHTSA web site for recalls.

Xadion
09-20-05, 04:31 PM
Many thanks for the help- If I manage not to be buying it at a catty dealer I think during my test drive it will go see one :-P

17 city 21 highway is basicly what I get now in a GMC Jimmy with a v6 votec- overall not that that bad for a SUV - that is only a few more than the V8's on the highway but alittle more in the city, and I drive mostly city--other than going to events (paintball) that I would drive my jimmy to anywho

thank you all for your time

GEORGEC
09-20-05, 05:06 PM
I am also a newby on here and looking at the STS. Trying to convince my wife that she needs to get rid of her Roadmaster Wagon and get new vehicle. It is a hard sell so far.

Today I did get her to drive an STS. While on the lot I noticed that the V-8 versions were EPA rated at17-26mpg while he V-6 version was rated 17-24 mpg. Can anyone substantiate that he V-8 really does get better milleage? The salesman stated that this was because the V-8, having more power, was working in a better efficience range.

I noticed that the rear seat has air conditioner vents blowing on them from ports between the front seats. I did not see any way to control this air flow. Is there a way to control that I missed?

Any comments that anyone has will be appreciated.

George

Kipp
09-20-05, 07:17 PM
Those nbr's are incorrect, the 8 gets 15/20....Dont know what the 6 gets. There is a master switch for the vents on the front upper console w a rear control switch on the rear console/dome lamp.

ckrichards
09-21-05, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't buy an SRX without MRC. MRC improves the handling, especially reducing roll in the corners. If you like more of a traditional "floaty" Cadillac ride, then you do not need MRC.

inline6
09-21-05, 02:09 PM
The standard suspension on the SRX is anything but floaty; the MRC actually gives a softer ride. I do not know what you drove, but our SRX has almost no body roll and sticks very well. As a point of reference, the SRX replaced a Z06 Corvette.

miked
09-21-05, 03:16 PM
I believe that Automobile Mag said that they preferred the SRX w/o MRC, as it gave it a more sporty ride.

The loaner SRX the dealer gave me didn't have MRC, and I thought it was a little too harsh over bumps. One thing I like about MRC, by comparison, is that while you get a floaty ride for most driving, when you go fast into a corner, the floatiness goes away while MRC firms up.

05SRX
09-26-05, 06:14 PM
The V-8 milage is not that different however it requires premium gas which is the reason I went for the 6.

louisn
09-26-05, 06:29 PM
The V-8 milage is not that different however it requires premium gas which is the reason I went for the 6.
Premium is not required for Northstar V-8; but only recommended for max performance. I admit to using regular and it's still a rocket.

05SRX
09-26-05, 06:38 PM
That is not what my manual says!

louisn
09-26-05, 06:44 PM
That is not what my manual says!
Sorry, that's what mine says! 2004!

05SRX
09-26-05, 06:46 PM
05 here, maybe that is the difference.

louisn
09-26-05, 06:57 PM
If you do a search, you can see that many V-8 SRX owners use regular gas with no ill effects.

Xadion
09-26-05, 09:48 PM
I have many prospective SRX's in my area- a few of them V8s (mostly I find used v6's....) and I think I will get a V8 if it is an option- as for the Magnetic ride controll- the SRX will be a dream comeing from a truck rideing (although for a truck very very good) Jimmy- to an srx.

I want the DVD Nav, but I have found ONE used with DVD nav...can I buy and install the DVD nav ? buy from GM parts or whatever? or can I mount a 3rd party GPS unit?

miked
09-26-05, 11:12 PM
I believe premium is "preferred" in the V8, but that regular can be used.

CAnnot buy and install the nav system after the fact.

Kipp
09-27-05, 12:57 AM

V8 Does not require premium - 04 or 05. What exactly does your manual say?

Xadion
09-27-05, 02:26 PM
I know GM cars have always had the wide/non "standard" radio consoles...but there usualy is a faceplate or work around- I can understand not begin able to throw in the DVD nav from Cat- but a 3rd party GPS should beable to fitted in somewhere...deff with all that room above the CD slot...

05SRX
09-27-05, 04:42 PM
The empty space abuove the "slot" is where the 6 CD's are stored, its not blank back there.

I will read my manual again and give you the exact text, I could be wrong but from the way I interpreted it the V-8 takes only prem.

Ill get back to you.

CB

Xadion
09-27-05, 05:31 PM
Eh, figured as much seeing its a single imput 6 slot changer deal- could like take that out and throw in a other stuff- eh well we shall see what kinda SRX I end up with

Xadion
09-29-05, 09:16 PM
Allright, a few days and all cards will be in motion and all things will be set for me to buy a SRX

2 of my top options-

Grey/Grey 8k miles 2004 V8 RWD

Grey/Grey 12k miles 2004 V6 RWD

the V8 is ~2k more and has less milage.

So, what would you do? is the V8's power realy pep up the car worth it? The v8 would have the silly sunroof automaticly correct? what exactly- in 04 are the base model differances between a v6 and v8...they both are base models.

Many thanks

ben72227
09-29-05, 10:31 PM
Gas mileage for '04 IS:

V8 - 15/20
V6 - 16/22

So its not THAT better, plus with the V8 you get a NORTHSTAR (pretty much the best premium V8 in the world) AND you get 60 more horses:sneaky:

The standard equipment was pretty much the same, except V8 has the sunroof , adjustable foot pedals, wood trim, tire pressure monitor, heated front seat with memory adjustment, cd changer, 2nd row folding seat all standard I believe...

Go with the V8...:)

Xadion
09-30-05, 01:02 AM
I am going to call the dealership that has the V8 tomrow- if its still available it proboly will be mine :thumbsup: It also has larger wheels than the v6 I am looking at - I think the adjustable peddles will be a big thing for me- as I am 6foot 8 250lb heheh..gas milage aint that much worse vrom a 8 to 6 on avarge...plus I get the joy of haveing an under 7 secont car truck thing.... would rather have black on black...but when you are searching used- beggers cant be choosers!

last concern of mine...it has the remainder of its warranty- 4 years 50k if I remeber so it should take me into 08 depending on its purchace date... can I take it just to any GM dealer? or Catty dealer? or only where I buy it- because I am getting it if I do- from 2.5hours outta town. Also is there an extended warreny option via GM for used that I can buy or no? -- many thanks you all have been VERY HELPFULL!

inline6
09-30-05, 02:26 PM
It might be worthwhile to take the serial number of the car you want to the Cad dealer and have them run the service history for you. Neither you or the dealer will want to hassle with a problem child. Warranty work will need to be done by a Cad dealer.

Xadion
09-30-05, 05:31 PM
okay, thanks- there is one that now made my list because it is a cad certified car...comes with a 6 year 100k bumper to bumper...thats longer than new? that is 4/50k? whats up with that

louisn
09-30-05, 08:08 PM
Make sure the certified extended warranty is written into the contract. One poster on another cadillac board (the two seater)was asssured he bought a certified car but after he bought the car the 2 salemen both denied the car was certified and it was not in the contract. Therefore he only had the 4/50 new car warranty.

Xadion
10-01-05, 11:05 PM
Yes indeed on that...that type of screwing sucks!!

the one that is at the very top of my list is a v8 all that jazz...but it has a kinda dubious carfax history

------------------------from carfax---------------------------
CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 9 record(s) for this 2004 CADILLAC SRX (1GYDE63A940136685).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

Original Equipment OnStar
Vehicle equipped with OnStar &
Personal Calling
Press the Blue OnStar button in this vehicle, or click here for activation and membership information

01/15/2005 165 Service Plan Co.
Holly, MI
Service Contract Issued

01/18/2005 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Holly, MI
Title #286S0180080
Title or registration issued
First owner reported

01/19/2005 Michigan
Police Report
Case #5935679
Accident Reported
in Oakland County
Vehicle involved in crash
or collision
Very minor damage reported

01/26/2005 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Holly, MI
Registered as
personal vehicle

01/31/2005 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

05/24/2005 8,059 Auto Auction
Sold at auction
in Michigan
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

06/01/2005 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Toledo, OH
Title #4802691675
Title issued or updated
New owner reported

06/28/2005 8,151 Auto Auction
Sold at auction
in Michigan
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It will still have, if I buy now, a little over 3 full years of its factory warranty...but why get rid of a car after 8k? and then the 2nd "owner" had it for LESS than 100miles

also what would you all consider a "Good GOOD" price for it- v8 18" wheels Dark Grey out/ Grey Int...I may beable to get a good deal from it with 06's pending in a few weeks and the carfax report...

inline6
10-03-05, 03:48 PM
It would be interesting to know what the title laws are in Michigan and Ohio. I could understand if you had just purchased a new SRX and someone hit it a couple of days later, you want the car replaced. Being titled again within a couple days later could have been a mistake or?

If Michigan has branded titles for insurance buy backs or damaged vehicles and Ohio does not, it may explain the Ohio title, then its return to Michigan with a clean title.:lildevil:

On a not so negative note, my 02 Corvette was a GM Canada factory car and titled that way, went to a dealer in Vancouver who then ran it through the Seattle auction as the Z06s were much hotter down here, then was titled in Idaho as a commercial vehicle by the dealer I bought it from.
Although it had several title changes, the car was flawless. I ran a Consumer Reports title check on in addition to Carfax and the CR report had much more info. May be worthwhile checking another title history source and running the serial number with a Cadillac dealer's service department to see what the service history of the car is.

Yes indeed on that...that type of screwing sucks!!

the one that is at the very top of my list is a v8 all that jazz...but it has a kinda dubious carfax history

------------------------from carfax---------------------------
CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 9 record(s) for this 2004 CADILLAC SRX (1GYDE63A940136685).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

Original Equipment OnStar
Vehicle equipped with OnStar &
Personal Calling
Press the Blue OnStar button in this vehicle, or click here for activation and membership information

01/15/2005 165 Service Plan Co.
Holly, MI
Service Contract Issued

01/18/2005 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Holly, MI
Title #286S0180080
Title or registration issued
First owner reported

01/19/2005 Michigan
Police Report
Case #5935679
Accident Reported
in Oakland County
Vehicle involved in crash
or collision
Very minor damage reported

01/26/2005 Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Holly, MI
Registered as
personal vehicle

01/31/2005 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

05/24/2005 8,059 Auto Auction
Sold at auction
in Michigan
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

06/01/2005 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Toledo, OH
Title #4802691675
Title issued or updated
New owner reported

06/28/2005 8,151 Auto Auction
Sold at auction
in Michigan
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It will still have, if I buy now, a little over 3 full years of its factory warranty...but why get rid of a car after 8k? and then the 2nd "owner" had it for LESS than 100miles

also what would you all consider a "Good GOOD" price for it- v8 18" wheels Dark Grey out/ Grey Int...I may beable to get a good deal from it with 06's pending in a few weeks and the carfax report...

Xadion
10-04-05, 11:47 AM
Hurm...I dont think the 2 auction sells where a buyer attempting a cover up- but more of a buy at X resell for X+5 it happens alot in the autction circut.

Also, this should work with any SRX aye..found a DVD nav on ebay...alittle pricey...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Navigation-Package-for-CADILLAC-SRX-BRAND-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38653QQitemZ8004647 974QQrdZ1

tomrow I am going over and looking at the car whos carfax I posted. I already know how much $ I am going to offer- with the 06's comeing out in like, 3 weeks and its history I should beable to get it for a good price