: Help Me!

cadillac6
11-27-03, 10:51 AM
Ok so I replaced my o2 sensors when my car asked for them. Drove beautiful for about 20 miles or so then the light came back on! I checked the codes my car read back to me and for what I understand it says "o2 heater sensor"!?? what the hell is that. Now my car is running really rough? along with that I have a steering problem that hopefully someone can help me with. When i go to make a sharp right my steering wheel shakes!? and I can feel it shaking throughout the whole car? please help guys!!! :crying:

onecad
11-27-03, 11:16 AM
An O^2 sensors provide there own voltage when running hot, but not until then. The pcm provides a reference voltage until the temperature is higher. This heat "sensor" effects the fuel air mixture if its not working properly. Once the heat sensor realizes the engine is hot enough the O^2 sensor provides its own voltage, and the heat sensor built into the O^2 sensor, must not be functioning i would guess as the first place to begin.
Therefore you need to replace the other O^2 sensor if you had only replaced one.
You said you drove 20 miles, which would tell me that the pcm provided your voltage then when it was hot enough left the voltage up to the 0^2 heat sensor which isn't working.
My guess would be to let the engine totally cool down and see if it runs smooth again then all of a sudden go rough.
Then it would for sure be the 0^2 sensor, otherwise it may be the wires leading to the sensor.
Did you replace both or just 1?

cadillac6
11-27-03, 04:23 PM
An O^2 sensors provide there own voltage when running hot, but not until then. The pcm provides a reference voltage until the temperature is higher. This heat "sensor" effects the fuel air mixture if its not working properly. Once the heat sensor realizes the engine is hot enough the O^2 sensor provides its own voltage, and the heat sensor built into the O^2 sensor, must not be functioning i would guess as the first place to begin.
Therefore you need to replace the other O^2 sensor if you had only replaced one.
You said you drove 20 miles, which would tell me that the pcm provided your voltage then when it was hot enough left the voltage up to the 0^2 heat sensor which isn't working.
My guess would be to let the engine totally cool down and see if it runs smooth again then all of a sudden go rough.
Then it would for sure be the 0^2 sensor, otherwise it may be the wires leading to the sensor.
Did you replace both or just 1?

I have 4 of them in my 97 deville. I bought all 4 and then found out I only needed to replace 2. So i did. Now I get a whole new reading of codes. Heater Sensors. UGHHHHHHHH its getting on my nerves! and I just bought this car! so someone please help me how do I stop this! I just want my car to run smooth with no service engine light to worry about!

onecad
11-27-03, 05:00 PM
try using the other 2 new oxygen sensors to see what happens....or even replace only one at a time to see which side is giving you trouble. Just because you put new ones in doesn't mean that they can't be defective. And be absolutely sure they are the right ones.
My book tells me that contamination can cause a problem.
1. leaded fuel
2.incorrect gasket sealer
3.over rich operation, in which case you would have to do a fuel system check.

But step back a little bit, was it doing this before changing the sensors.

Also make sure you didn't knock loose any air pollution hoses near where you were working for the heck of it. Or any plug wires either. And make sure the terminal wires for each sensor are in good shape.

Also...with the engine hot you can check on your display pd33.
Leave your foot on the gas between 1200 and 2000 rpm for 2 minutes and note parameter value.
1.If voltage swings below .30 volts and above .60 volts and the auto light on display is on, sensor is ok, if auto light is off sensor is bad.
2.if voltage stays between .30 volts and .60 volts for a long time sensor is bad.
3.if there is no voltage variation.
-check terminal contact of pins 3f15 and 3f16
-check terminal contact of oxygen sensor
- if the termianls are ok, sensor is bad

cadillac6
11-27-03, 08:51 PM
try using the other 2 new oxygen sensors to see what happens....or even replace only one at a time to see which side is giving you trouble. Just because you put new ones in doesn't mean that they can't be defective. And be absolutely sure they are the right ones.
My book tells me that contamination can cause a problem.
1. leaded fuel
2.incorrect gasket sealer
3.over rich operation, in which case you would have to do a fuel system check.

But step back a little bit, was it doing this before changing the sensors.

Also make sure you didn't knock loose any air pollution hoses near where you were working for the heck of it. Or any plug wires either. And make sure the terminal wires for each sensor are in good shape.

Also...with the engine hot you can check on your display pd33.
Leave your foot on the gas between 1200 and 2000 rpm for 2 minutes and note parameter value.
1.If voltage swings below .30 volts and above .60 volts and the auto light on display is on, sensor is ok, if auto light is off sensor is bad.
2.if voltage stays between .30 volts and .60 volts for a long time sensor is bad.
3.if there is no voltage variation.
-check terminal contact of pins 3f15 and 3f16
-check terminal contact of oxygen sensor
- if the termianls are ok, sensor is bad

No it wasnt doing this before I changed my sensors. I had my mechanic come and replace 2 of them because he said that 2 of them were bad, and the other 2 were new. I dont know what or where the problem arose. Is it serious? should I still drive on it? HOW CAN I JUST GET IT TO RUN RIGHT?? would I have to replace the other 2 o2 sensors to be on the safe side? Because this problem only started happening after they were replaced! I dont know guys please help!

P.S What is a fuel system check? and how would I go about doing that? are they expensive?

maydog
11-27-03, 10:51 PM
No it shouldn't hurt anything, your performance will just be low since the car will run in an open loop. Also check the fuses for the heater elements in the O2 sensor - cant remember where thay are off the top of my head.