: Battery Relocation

Barak
09-19-05, 08:13 PM
Has anyone considered relocating the battery? The current location isn't too bad, but I think it is located too high. A 51-series Optima in the spare tire compartment would lower the CG, help with weight distribution and shave about 15 pounds. The stock battery really blows anyway. I left the key in the ON position for about ten minutes with the lights on the other day and had trouble starting the engine. The stock battery also uses side terminals which are bound to be a source of headaches in the future.

slow35th
09-19-05, 08:35 PM
I just wish I could find a premium battery like the Optima's that will fit in the stock location.

Mat347
09-19-05, 08:58 PM
I just wish I could find a premium battery like the Optima's that will fit in the stock location.

Actually, my yellow top did fit, but since it has both side and top posts it put a little too much pressure on the hood for my taste. So I got a red top that is made for GM vehicles and it fits fine even though it still has top posts.. It is just a tiny bit shorter than the others, the side posts are towards the outside like the stock battery. It has 730 CCA, where most other Optimas have 800.

slow35th
09-19-05, 09:19 PM
Actually, my yellow top did fit, but since it has both side and top posts it put a little too much pressure on the hood for my taste. So I got a red top that is made for GM vehicles and it fits fine even though it still has top posts.. It is just a tiny bit shorter than the others, the side posts are towards the outside like the stock battery. It has 730 CCA, where most other Optimas have 800.

Thanks

ace996
09-19-05, 09:20 PM
I've thought about relocation, too, but I think that running the wires to the rear of the car may negate a good portion of the weight savings. I wouldn't mind balancing the car a little better, though.

Barak
09-20-05, 02:36 AM
I've thought about relocation, too, but I think that running the wires to the rear of the car may negate a good portion of the weight savings. I wouldn't mind balancing the car a little better, though.

Not a chance. Minimum ten pounds probably more, not to mention the better weight distribution and CG.